Jordan Rhodes

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

Nuhui put in a shift , worked for the team and scored some important goals. 

He had qualities that Rhodes simply doesn't posses, and all our managers that had both players in their squads knew it, which is why Nuhui played and Rhodes didn't.

Yeah, Atdhe divided opinions, but quite frankly you can't argue that he was a better servant for this club that Rhodes has been .

Cant believe people not rating Dave,who do they think scored the goals to keep us in this Division,when Fletcher,Hooper,FF,etc were injured?...For that ALONE  he deserved a new contract,virtually single handedly led our attack ( and for a fraction i bet of the money of the others)

I’d love him to prove me wrong but if TP persists with the one up front then I very much doubt Rhodes will cut it in this role.

While Windass is suspended the only player I can see cutting it is Paterson but as we know TP doesn’t see him as a forward.

I’ll be amazed if we don’t shuffle the forward pack in January if not before?

Guest LondonOwl313
On 24/11/2020 at 15:12, Bannofan said:

I know what you mean, but the last thing you need is a scared or un confident player taking a penalty. I'd rather have a defender who has never taken one is life but is confident and positive. 

I wonder though, if that set the tone for his time here? did that affect his mental health going forward? did he receive some negativity in training from his team mates and coaches? it might have set in motion the course of his time here.

Very unusual for a forward to not to want to take a penalty. I don't know if he had missed a vital one before? 

He took one for us before that and missed.. think it was Leeds away.

Tbh he does come across as a nice bloke but a bit brittle mentally. He was a very good player, always thought he’d cut it at premier league level when he was early 20s and banging in 25 a season.

It just hasn’t worked for him here but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if a big part of that is mental. After all he appears to have no fitness issues, never relied on ridiculous pace and is only 30. Bet the expectancy here at the time when he came as we were going for promotion, the size of the transfer fee and wages, and the fact that he had to fend off about 5 other players to play under Carlos probably made him anxious and underperform. From then on his confidence has looked shot.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s done now but also wouldn’t be surprised if he has a bit of a swan song between now and the end of the season. If he does have issues then the set up now is more favourable for him. No fans in the stadium, little competition for a place in the team and a manager who will play to his strengths if he picks him. Let’s see if there’s anything left in him 

Guest LondonOwl313
Just now, @owlstalk said:

Yeah it's really obvious to see how 'brittle he is mentally'

FFS

Was just a hypothesis to explain why he’s been so poor for us. Because he looks totally fine physically 

I thought Rhodes did okay tonight - he clearly doesn't suit the system we're playing and must be way down the list of ideal forwards in Pulis' mind, but he put a shift in, ran the channels, won us the odd throw-in to help us build momentum, and did all we could really expect of him given the way we played.

As we've said, no forward is going to excel playing in a team which creates so few chances, but he played better than I thought he might up there on his own.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I thought Rhodes did okay tonight - he clearly doesn't suit the system we're playing and must be way down the list of ideal forwards in Pulis' mind, but he put a shift in, ran the channels, won us the odd throw-in to help us build momentum, and did all we could really expect of him given the way we played.

As we've said, no forward is going to excel playing in a team which creates so few chances, but he played better than I thought he might up there on his own.

bang on

well said

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Therealrealist
5 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

Looked more balanced with Rhodes up front.

Neither Kachunga nor Paterson are strikers.

Kachunga totally pointless