Jordan Rhodes

16 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Thought it was common knowledge..Norwich offer was £1m not a penny more..DC wanted more.

Celtic on loan,  they offered half is wages.

DC wanted all wages paying plus a loan fee.

And that's what stopped it.

Yes, I heard that on here.

But it doesn’t strike me they really wanted him. 

Bartering is common in these scenarios. They didn’t appear to be that bothered. 

If somebody really wants something, they’ll usually put a bit more effort in.

2 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Farke said in his first press conference last season that they liked him as a player and wanted to sign him but he’s a Sheffield Wednesday player and it wouldn’t be right to comment further.

Nothing further came of it because Norwich didn’t want to stump up any money. And that wasn’t a Rhodes thing.. they went to the PL and spent zero.. they pocketed the whole amount to clear debts and get them in good shape financially.

It was reported at the time that they’d asked to sign him on a free transfer and we’d said no. You can argue that we’d have been better off saving the 40 grand a week and letting him leave for free. But it was cheeky because under his loan agreement there was probably a right to buy clause.. DC rightly wanted them to honour that if they were signing him so he told them where to go.

Oh and he barely played because they played 1 up and they had Pukki banging in close to 30 goals. No shame in being selected behind him

Could potentially allegedly have saved around a Million quid in wages,could have  afforded Fletcher's wages with that,Fox might have stayed too,if he had,who knows?

Would have made much better sense than keeping JR in my view

5 minutes ago, parajack said:

Would have made much better sense than keeping JR in my view

He wasn't sold because the offer was not good enough.

The fee to borough would have had to be paid in full, which would have further hampered FFP. And a player down.

This is why Gibbo hates us...

🤣

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

FFS !

The only posters talking about this “nice bloke” thing are his detractors.

Not one poster is saying he’s amazing, or the messiah, and I couldn’t give a flying fig whether he’s nice to his mum, delivers to care-homes and rescues kittens.

HE IS BETTER THAN MARRIOTT, PATERSON, KACHUNGA and WINDASS.

And that’s it. 

Simply too early to make a statement like that,.

1 minute ago, sherlyegg said:

He wasn't sold because the offer was not good enough.

The fee to borough would have had to be paid in full, which would have further hampered FFP. And a player down.

This is why Gibbo hates us...

🤣

Yes i saw that quote myself,but as i said what a mess to be in,where it makes more sense to keep a player on allegedly approx Million quid PA than let him go and save it.....wasnt monk that got us in that position was it,? & if he had that money at his disposal he could have either persuaded Fletcher to re-sign,or maybe brought in a quality striker and afforded his wages

25 minutes ago, parajack said:

Yes i saw that quote myself,but as i said what a mess to be in,where it makes more sense to keep a player on allegedly approx Million quid PA than let him go and save it.....wasnt monk that got us in that position was it,? & if he had that money at his disposal he could have either persuaded Fletcher to re-sign,or maybe brought in a quality striker and afforded his wages

Think the problem with fletcher was covid19 app we’d got close to a deal b4 the lockdown covid19 happens and changes everything he went to Stoke because they offered more than our new offer which was significantly less than the one being talked about before the lockdown? As for Rhodes it really is his last chance salmon for us ? Pulis knows he can score goals and will probably set us up to get the ball in the right areas for Rhodes to score, whether or not Jordan is still up to it or has still got it we’ll soon see ? With our squad atm there is no other goal scorer in it? ( stat wise?)

39 minutes ago, parajack said:

There wouldn't have been any money available, the fee we were offered wouldn't even cover what we would have owed Gibbo, plus more ffp probs, and another striker to find.

Doesn't matter what anyone thinks regards ability etc etc.

Just didn't make financial sense at what was offered.

• Like 1

Guest Therealrealist

Don’t forget we saved loadsa money by not letting Norwich pick up his hefty wages for the last 2 years...according to the Owlstalk accountants..

5 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Don’t forget we saved loadsa money by not letting Norwich pick up his hefty wages for the last 2 years...according to the Owlstalk accountants..

It seems making provisions for writing off losses in  football is not as straightforward as other industries. 

Other clubs seem to be able to get shut of their crap, yet we end up hanging onto it until it’s value has evaporated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Therealrealist
2 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

It seems making provisions for writing off losses in  football is not as straightforward as other industries. 

Other clubs seem to be able to get shut of their crap, yet we end up hanging onto it until it’s value has evaporated.

It’s utterly bizzare what certain posters wer saying why it would cost us to get rid..even on a freebie..something about owing boro the balance of the fee...no doubt we have still had to pay boro what we owe them..and 2 years of 37k a week just for good measure...reyt saving it’s turned out to be 🥴

Guest LondonOwl313
20 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

It’s utterly bizzare what certain posters wer saying why it would cost us to get rid..even on a freebie..something about owing boro the balance of the fee...no doubt we have still had to pay boro what we owe them..and 2 years of 37k a week just for good measure...reyt saving it’s turned out to be 🥴

They’re confusing accounting with FFP calculations. The money is still owed to Middlesbrough regardless.. makes no difference when he’s sold re the accounts as the liability would be on the balance sheet. Apparently FFP it would move the money from one years calculation to the preceding one which would cause us problems given we were close to the limit. Totally ridiculous as the point of it is to stop clubs overspending.. when it makes you sell assets on the cheap because of it or retain loss making assets longer than you would ordinarily then its doing the opposite of its intended purpose 

6 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Approx £3.5m will be paid out to him following his return from Norwich. This wouldn’t seem so bad if there was any evidence that he will start to do what he was bought for.

Shakes his head,, says good night.

• Thanks 1

On 20/11/2020 at 16:55, Holmowl said:

Where do you get those incorrect figures from?

Sorry it was £10.54 million, from League Transfer statistics. Thought we all knew this. His goals and appearances can be got from Wikipedia

Season 16/17

Steven Fletcher

Free

Lewis Price

Free

Jake Kean

Free

Caolan Lavery

Free

Almen Abdi

£3,000,000

Marnick Vermijl

Undisclosed

Daniel Pudil

£2,000,000

Devante Rodney

Free

David Jones

£2,600,000

Sergiu Buș

Free

Vincent Sasso

Undisclosed

Urby Emanuelson

Free

Sam Winnall

£500,000

Jason Rhodes

£10,530,000.00

Edited by Buckwheat

To be honest there's no such thing as as a free transfer is there. 

Of the transfer fee  money "saved" a large portion of it is divided up and given to the spivs who set the transfer up and better wages for the player. 

Fletcher will have cost us considerably more than the £500k we paid for Winnall.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

After our other strikers take their tally to 1 goal in 10 games I really really really hope we see him starting on Wednesday evening.

He's everything Pulis loves. Very physical, good in the air, can link up play, tall and strong. Fast and aggressive. 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

He's everything Pulis loves. Very physical, good in the air, can link up play, tall and strong. Fast and aggressive. 

Put those same sarcastic adjectives to Kachunga and Paterson. 

They are the two he has to get past to play on Wednesday.