OFFICIAL - TONY PULIS APPOINTED SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY MANAGER

5 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Saw this quote from him:

"People go on about my style of play. But I tell you what I do – I go into football clubs, I try to find out what systems suit the players and I try to get the damnedest out of those players. That’s what I’ve done everywhere I’ve been.”

That’ll do for me.

Then he gets sacked after playing the most dire style of football, trying to sneak 1:0 wins and scoring an average of 1 goal per game

lol

Seriously though - it's not gonna be great but I'm behind him 100% 

But I reserve the right to moan about dire football or  bad signings (he bought 32 year old Michael Owen and 32 year old Peter Crouch remember)

Owlstalk Shop

I'm a firm believer in winning games regardless of style. I like winning games, the 3 points are so much better than the 1 or the zero you get when you don't win. If we played eye bleedingly badly and won every game 1 nil I'd celebrate every goal and every win. I'd rather do that than watch an 'entertaining' draw. When the pigs lost their ridiculous semi final or whatever it was that they described as goal rich we took the pișș big style.

Substance over style for me, we need points on the board and I don't care how we get them. If we go down playing awful hoofball or go down playing silky smooth attacking football I'll be just as gutted. I won't take any pride in being the best footballing side ever to get relegated. I won't see any shame in being the worst footballing side to ever get promoted. I don't think I've ever enjoyed us playing against a Pulis side, it'll be lovely to be on the right side of that equation for a change. 

For me Pulis is a good appointment. He has a wealth of experience and knows how a club should be run. Hopefully he can have an influence in all areas cos we need it. Sometimes a club and a manager just work, I've got a feeling we're about to see this in action. 

People writing him off and slagging him I really hope you all have to eat your words. In Tony we trust. I'm backing him from the start, if I'm wrong I'll hold my hands up and admit it. 

• Like 3

I’ve had time to reflect on Pulis’ appointment.  He wouldn’t have been my first choice by any means but all we can do is see how it goes and hope that it turn out better than expected on the rollercoaster that is supporting Wednesday.

I respect Pulis’ record but absolutely hate his style of football and therein lies the issue for me.  Maybe he is the right man for the job at the right time.  Maybe the only viable choice right now.  

I have no doubt Pulis will keep us up which is number 1 priority.  He’s still got a massive job with some of the weak players and will have to wheel and deal in January’ window.

My concern is that when Pulis leaves he will leave a long ball team when what the fans who can remember really want to go back to is the attacking football of the Atkinson and Francis eras.  After Pulis there will be a long transition trying to go back to more of a football style which will take considerable time.

We’re ok / safe in the short term but in the long term this appointment has set us back years.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Then he gets sacked after playing the most dire style of football, trying to sneak 1:0 wins and scoring an average of 1 goal per game

lol

Seriously though - it's not gonna be great but I'm behind him 100% 

But I reserve the right to moan about dire football or  bad signings (he bought 32 year old Michael Owen and 32 year old Peter Crouch remember)

The football was dire under Monk. We scored in 2 games out of 11 this season excluding own goals and penalties. It can’t be any worse than it has been! 

Its not my type of appointment at all but he has the experience to turn us around. I always think the Wednesday job needs a big name and character. 

I think as fans we just need to get behind the new manager. I know we can’t go to games, but on social media and phone ins etc. 

9 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

“Cook, hated by Wigan fans,” if you only read and acknowledge a small minority of their fans. Do your research

“Wagner got Huddersfield promoted” playing attractive football as I previously stated. 

Cowleys. When I look what they did at Huddersfield, the kept them up playing decent football as I previously stated

You identify Lowe as a viable option given that employed managers often move clubs. Lowe himself left Bury for Plymouth

So you’re agreeing with me ? ? ? 

So we are to ignore a small minority of Wigan fans but take note of a small minority of WBA fans now are we. Haters will hate.

• Like 1

I understand the concerns people have, and I wanted a young up and coming manger who could unite the fan base from day one. But It seems that his reputation of playing ugly football weighs heavily in the criticisms. But since when have we been football purists at Sheffield Wednesday?? We’ve been dog sh*t for the majority of the last 20 years. In that time we’ve had the odd season where we’ve seen some great football the rest of it has been dire. 

14 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

They’re absolutely embarrassing over on the old Twitter mate.

Absolutely clueless about football and our situation. 

Quite apart from the fact that i despise his style of football , the main reason i am against this appointment is that currently "our situation"  is mainly down to financial mismanagement..........................................and we have just hired a 62 year old who has been sued by TWO of his previous clubs over....er....financial matters.

9 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

I know. Kind of my point.

I was saying the type of manager that gets you promoted.

From my list, Pulis was the only obtainable one.

We'll never know how obtainable the others were or if we even tried. Given the right environment to work in i would say Pearson would be obtainable. Problem is DC doesn't seem to have learnt anything in his time here and as such we are going to continue making the same mistakes over and over. We are going to end up with another aging squad of crocks with no resale value, a high turnover of players every season as the next new manager wants his players and his staff. There is no longevity or continuity in our structure and this is very worrying. 

I'd like to think TP will enhance the club, pull us out of the doldrums and get us moving

How many have screamed at DC because of his lack of footballing experience

Well here you are, a person who has all that and more

With experience at the highest level too

1 minute ago, happy bunny said:

I'd like to think TP will enhance the club, pull us out of the doldrums and get us moving

How many have screamed at DC because of his lack of footballing experience

Well here you are, a person who has all that and more

With experience at the highest level too

Trevor Francis managed in the Premier League

And ironically that's the reason we're now having to employ Tony Pulis whilst we're bottom of the Championship

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

26 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

I understand the concerns people have, and I wanted a young up and coming manger who could unite the fan base from day one. But It seems that his reputation of playing ugly football weighs heavily in the criticisms. But since when have we been football purists at Sheffield Wednesday?? We’ve been dog sh*t for the majority of the last 20 years. In that time we’ve had the odd season where we’ve seen some great football the rest of it has been dire. 

It isn’t about being footballing purists though. It really annoys me when you get fans coming on and saying, “do people expect us to be playing like Real Madrid or Barcelona” No they don’t, but there’s a lot in between. If they consider Barcelona the zenith of pleasing on the eye football, where does Pulis’s brand of football rank? Rank bottom I would suggest  In the same way it would be unreasonable to expect us to play football akin to Barcelona, neither do I expect us to be still playing like Wimbledon of old. In this day and age, I cannot believe our fans would accept such an out of date approach

• Like 2

Not much more to be said that hasn’t already been said. Can TP impose the style of football he is known for successfully here ? It will be tough. We lack pace on the wings and strength up front. We have defenders and goalkeepers who struggle to maintain consistency and focus. We are dreadful from set plays, and even worse this season after the departures of Fletcher and Nuhiu.  All of the key components of a successful TP side are missing in this squad. 

I do think TP is good at what he does, but this squad isn’t a TP squad and will need turning over again if we are to be successful.

1 minute ago, Owling Wolfe said:

I’m not particularly a lover but we are in a predicament that he is proven to get us out of. There’s nothing to suggest any of the others would have done any better.

This is very true

I feel safe in the knowledge that we won't go down this season

That's never been a concern at all with this appointment

It's all the  'other stuff'

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop