OFFICIAL - TONY PULIS APPOINTED SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY MANAGER

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Sure it is, but when it comes to how football is played, it either entertains you, or it doesn’t That I can’t compromise on, whether we are winning or not. Monk was a disaster, he had failure written all over him, and for sure, he needed to go. As manager, Pulis does have strengths, and will bring about a tougher mentality, I’ve no doubt His likely methods to try and achieve that though, will jar with me, and I know I won’t be able to get beyond that. Never have been a winning at all costs sort of guy

So you would be happy with 3-3 draws in the championship for the next 10 years say, then 0-0s in the Premier league.

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

So you would be happy with 3-3 draws in the championship for the next 10 years say, then 0-0s in the Premier league.

That’s too simplistic mate. It’s about how we achieve those results that’s important to me

Middlesbrough supporter here. Well you are following in Boro's footsteps after appointing Monk then Pulis in succession ... Woodgate next then Warnock! 

Here are my considered views on Tony Pulis having seen every Boro home game and around 75% of away matches whilst he was Boro Manager.

On his appointment he was seen by many supporters (including myself) as a solid choice. Experienced, knowledgeable, passionate and with decent contacts in the game. We knew Pulis would go for physical, experienced players every time so expect the same ... but that has its limitations. For me the game is about winning and if the performances are positive as well then that's a bonus. However, by time Pulis left Boro my lifetime love of football had slowly but surely been squeezed out of me and that was down to the managers repeated and predictable negative tactics. Some examples;

• One man up front at all times ... often with no support behind him.
  • Disgraceful treatment of our best striker and top goalscorer (Britt Assombalonga), publicly lambasting him at every opportunity.
  • In the 2017/18 two-legged Play-Off Semi-Final against Aston Villa we went behind after 15 minutes of the 1st leg (at home) ... despite this Boro defended for the first 175 minutes of the 180  ... mustering only one shot on target over the two legs.
  • 2018/19 FA Cup at home to League 2 Newport County. We go 1-0 up after 50 minutes and it is everyone back behind the ball as usual. Newport nick an injury-time equaliser then (deservedly) beat us in the replay.    
  • In March 2018/19 having lost only 1 game in 10 and playing Brentford who had only won once away in 16 matches ... Boro were winning 1-0 at home and Pulis brings our ONLY striker off and puts a defender on! ... we go on to lose 1-2 and then lose next 5 games on the bounce which cost us a play-off place.
  • 2018/19 ... finish 7th scoring only 49 goals in 46 games. Only one team of the other 19 outside the bottom 4 score less goals than Boro. 

I could go on ... but very much like watching 'Pulis-ball' ... you will quickly get bored.

Whilst I am sure Pulis will keep you up (the obvious priority), beyond that I fear the worst for you as Pulis is anti-football. I hope I'm wrong as I have a lot of respect for Wednesday supporters. 

• Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

The problem is the higher you go up the leagues the harder it is to produce that as the opposition are better and you must be better than them. 

Had we had Watford or Bournemouths squad that approach may have been more of an option.

I am far more confident of promotion to the premier league with Pulis then I would be had we given it to Lowe.

It’s all about opinions Paz. Personally I believe that if you can get a good level of technical attacking football from League 2 players then you can get it from Championship players. I do accept though that the defences are harder to break down. 
You may also note that “footballing” managers like Brendan Rodgers, Eddie Howe, Nuno and I hate to say it Wilder, are footballing managers wherever they manage. Again, on balance, hoof ball managers are constantly hoof ball managers too. 
You may be right..... Let’s see. 
UTO

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

It’s all about opinions Paz. Personally I believe that if you can get a good level of technical attacking football from League 2 players then you can get it from Championship players. I do accept though that the defences are harder to break down. 
You may also note that “footballing” managers like Brendan Rodgers, Eddie Howe, Nuno and I hate to say it Wilder, are footballing managers wherever they manage. Again, on balance, hoof ball managers are constantly hoof ball managers too. 
You may be right..... Let’s see. 
UTO

Howe and Wilders football is not doing so well at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Ok. You’d rather be where we are I guess. Nowt as strange as folk

I think the point they are probably making is they are struggling and they are some of the best at it.  So its going to be very difficult for Lowe to do the same.  

You could also say no big club has taken a chance on them just like we haven't done with Lowe. Maybe they see the next step as being to high for the footballing level they are currently operate at with there brand of football.

22 minutes ago, ERIMUS1876 said:
  • In the 2017/18 two-legged Play-Off Semi-Final against Aston Villa we went behind after 15 minutes of the 1st leg (at home) ... despite this Boro defended for the first 175 minutes of the 180  ... mustering only one shot on target over the two legs.

Oh and I watched the first leg game earlier today.  You dominated Villa and created a bunch of chances.  Better finishing and you would have won.