OFFICIAL - TONY PULIS APPOINTED SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY MANAGER

I'm indifferent on this appointment - almost feel detached from the club at the moment due to bigger events and the way the whole club under DC has drifted.

It does feel like a season-long relegation avoidance appointment and if the team come off the pitch at Derby in May still in the Championship then I suppose it's job done.

As others have said, what then - they'll be a vaccine in circulation and SD restrictions will be a thing of the past so we'll all be looking forward to attending games again. From a marketing and building bridges perspective, this will be DC's time to push on with a near enough clear FFP balance sheet - will he and us be happy with Pulis taking the helm for that next step - not sure.

Just now, @owlstalk said:

This is very true

I feel safe in the knowledge that we won't go down this season

That's never been a concern at all with this appointment

It's all the  'other stuff'

I think that is a false sense of security.

you can’t coach defenders to have 100 percent focus and not make mistakes at this level. They will. So will our goalies.  

you can’t make our wingers quicker, or our strikers bigger. 

there are fundamental issues with the squad. 

the thing TP can add to us is better set plays. That will be the difference between staying up and going down.

3 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

I think that is a false sense of security.

you can’t coach defenders to have 100 percent focus and not make mistakes at this level. They will. So will our goalies.  

you can’t make our wingers quicker, or our strikers bigger. 

there are fundamental issues with the squad. 

the thing TP can add to us is better set plays. That will be the difference between staying up and going down.

I think you're right to a certain degree, but Monk's tactics and player positions left a lot to be desired. I think Pulis will be better in fitting 'round pegs in round holes'.

3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I just really hope his contract is only until the end of the season. Pulis will do okay short term but imo he is not the answer long term. 

I only hope if we finish top half DC won’t  think he’s the way forward  and offer him a 5 year deal. Staying in the division is one thing, watching football that makes your eyes bleed in the long term is depressing to say the least. 

1 minute ago, Animis said:

I think you're right to a certain degree, but Monk's tactics and player positions left a lot to be desired. I think Pulis will be better in fitting 'round pegs in round holes'.

I fully agree Monk didn’t solve the issue. Monk was trying to build a team based on being very organised, disciplined without the ball, and direct on the ball. It worked to some extent with fletcher but not without fletcher. The players recruited for this season are not able to play that game . They lack pace. The defenders and goalkeepers remain liable to sloppy errors. I don’t see how TP resolves those issues with this squad.

9 minutes ago, Animis said:

I'm indifferent on this appointment - almost feel detached from the club at the moment due to bigger events and the way the whole club under DC has drifted.

It does feel like a season-long relegation avoidance appointment and if the team come off the pitch at Derby in May still in the Championship then I suppose it's job done.

As others have said, what then - they'll be a vaccine in circulation and SD restrictions will be a thing of the past so we'll all be looking forward to attending games again. From a marketing and building bridges perspective, this will be DC's time to push on with a near enough clear FFP balance sheet - will he and us be happy with Pulis taking the helm for that next step - not sure.

That opening Paragraph pretty much sums up how most fans I know feel

1 minute ago, mcmigo said:

I fully agree Monk didn’t solve the issue. Monk was trying to build a team based on being very organised, disciplined without the ball, and direct on the ball. It worked to some extent with fletcher but not without fletcher. The players recruited for this season are not able to play that game . They lack pace. The defenders and goalkeepers remain liable to sloppy errors. I don’t see how TP resolves those issues with this squad.

Very true, I think this squad might benefit from a change of formation and renewed motivation though. Under Monk we'd won 7 of 33 and no matter what you say there will have been huge doubts and lack of confidence in the manager from the players and that definitely showed on the pitch. Pulis has managed for over a decade in the Prem and will be able to handle big pressure, big ego players and the intensity needed on a day to day basis to perform well. There's a reason he never finished in the bottom 5-6 teams with Stoke, Palace and West Brom even though they were all relegation favourites. He can clearly motivate players to play and believe in themselves and that comes from a base of admittedly not pleasing on the eye football. I hope he can raise the players mentality because that can have a huge effect on average players at this level. We've all seen it many times. I believe he can. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I just really hope his contract is only until the end of the season. Pulis will do okay short term but imo he is not the answer long term. 

I see this written a lot ,I don't get why if he's done well this season he can't do it next 

I've said before, and I'm no fan of Pulis,but if we are winning games regularly most fans will want him to stay

3 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Very true, I think this squad might benefit from a change of formation and renewed motivation though. Under Monk we'd won 7 of 33 and no matter what you say there will have been huge doubts and lack of confidence in the manager from the players and that definitely showed on the pitch. Pulis has managed for over a decade in the Prem and will be able to handle big pressure, big ego players and the intensity needed on a day to day basis to perform well. There's a reason he never finished in the bottom 5-6 teams with Stoke, Palace and West Brom even though they were all relegation favourites. He can clearly motivate players to play and believe in themselves and that comes from a base of admittedly not pleasing on the eye football. I hope he can raise the players mentality because that can have a huge effect on average players at this level. We've all seen it many times. I believe he can. 

I have no doubts over his quality as a manager. He did wonders at Stoke city , gillingham and palace, and good work at wba for 2 seasons. 

but his teams have always been built on.

1.  Reliable defending. shawcross at Stoke, Evans at wba- international players of quality who rarely made mistakes. We don’t have that.

2.  Lots of pace down the sides. Traore at Boro , at Stoke etc. 
3.  A unit up front. K Jones, beattie, crouch etc. 
4.  Excellent set play takers from delap to  whelan to brunt. 

we are lacking all of those components in the squad. 

TP couldn’t have a better chance to get off to a good start. Preston haven’t won at home since August and have only scored one home goal in that time. He will know that if we nick a goal up there, we will almost certainly win the game. He has next week with the players in training, so hopefully he will have his staff alongside him sharpish and get an early good result to settle us all down a little bit. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It isn’t about being footballing purists though. It really annoys me when you get fans coming on and saying, “do people expect us to be playing like Real Madrid or Barcelona” No they don’t, but there’s a lot in between. If they consider Barcelona the zenith of pleasing on the eye football, where does Pulis’s brand of football rank? Rank bottom I would suggest  In the same way it would be unreasonable to expect us to play football akin to Barcelona, neither do I expect us to be still playing like Wimbledon of old. In this day and age, I cannot believe our fans would accept such an out of date approach

I just want successful football. If that’s by playing lovely football then great. If it’s not then so be it. 

11 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

I just want successful football. If that’s by playing lovely football then great. If it’s not then so be it. 

How do you define successful football though. Most people on here it seems, would be happy if Pulis keeps us up this season. That isn’t winning football, and it isn’t successful football. Anyway the point is, surely you want to see our players develop as footballers? That will never ever happen under Pulis

9 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Saw this quote from him:

"People go on about my style of play. But I tell you what I do – I go into football clubs, I try to find out what systems suit the players and I try to get the damnedest out of those players. That’s what I’ve done everywhere I’ve been.”

That’ll do for me.

And the overall system and philosophy at those clubs happens to be defensive rubbish and relying on set pieces. Funny that. 

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

How do you define successful football though. Most people on here it seems, would be happy if Pulis keeps us up this season. That isn’t winning football, and it isn’t successful football. Anyway the point is, surely you want to see our players develop as footballers? That will never ever happen under Pulis

Winning football, competitive football. 

To be honest staying up was my only objective and reasonable expectation this season, given the points deduction. Now that we’re out of the red I’d like to see us push up the league. 

• Like 1

Yesterday I was pretty annoyed by this appointment, angry almost. Do I think its the best appointment Chansiri could have made? Probably not. 

However, I'm willing to give Pulis a chance. Only time will tell if he can get us playing again. 

Again, time will tell but until then he should have our full support.

UTO

• Thanks 1