OFFICIAL - TONY PULIS APPOINTED SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY MANAGER

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, I might have to reassess that. Seriously though, it’s not snobbery, Pulis is a purveyor of dog poo football. Who did I want,? Several candidates were interesting, but of those mentioned, probably my choice would have been Pearson

Was Pearson available ? Most of us prayed for that announcement. Imagine how much it would have lifted the mood.

4 hours ago, stocksyuto said:

Monk ball had me feeling really low about the club. This is not a great appointment but he can do a job until we dont need him anymore. People saying we should have got lowe yea any other season I'd agree but current situation would be a huge gamble the mans not established enough to take on this kind of task at hand.

For 2 seasons plus the start of this, Lowe has produced winning, attacking football. For those doubting his ability to step up please consider that it is significantly harder from a technical standpoint and from a communication standpoint to coach teams to attack than it is to coach them to defend. It Is much easier to destroy than to create. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

For 2 seasons plus the start of this, Lowe has produced winning, attacking football. For those doubting his ability to step up please consider that it is significantly harder from a technical standpoint and from a communication standpoint to coach teams to attack than it is to coach them to defend. It Is much easier to destroy than to create. 

Even more so with the players on our books...

Well it’s done now, a sad, sad day. The real loser in this will be Chansiri, but in this case, he only has himself to blame. Cant bring myself to argue with fellow Owls, as I know, in the main, they’re just trying to be supportive. 
I will never buy into the Pulis brand, so I know that will eventually put me at odds with segments of our support, but for now, I’ll let them have the floor

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Taking into account the feedback from fans forums, Facebook and Twitter pages and local radio phone ins the main thing most fans want in a manager is that they wave their arms about and shout on the touchline, we've now got one that does that and no ones happy, its a strange beast football.

4 hours ago, shandypants said:

We are next to bottom in the league with a squad that’s littered with ordinary players and some of our fans are wanting a manager that will get us up the table while playing entertaining football while turning their nose up at a manager that is arguably the most experienced in all of the professional lEnglish leagues. 

It’s astounding really when you think about it. 

You do however have to wonder why supporters of Stoke , Crystal Palace, West Brom and Middlesbrough turned their noses up at a manager that is arguably the most experienced in all of the professional English leagues when he was managing their clubs ...

What I find astounding is why a fan of any club wouldn’t instead want a manager that will get them up the table while playing entertaining football...

3 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

You do however have to wonder why supporters of Stoke , Crystal Palace, West Brom and Middlesbrough turned their noses up at a manager that is arguably the most experienced in all of the professional English leagues when he was managing their clubs ...

What I find astounding is why a fan of any club wouldn’t instead want a manager that will get them up the table while playing entertaining football...

Stoke supporters didn't turn their noses up at him though. I mean, things probably ran their course there, but he's without question one of their greatest ever managers. That's just a fact. 

He kept Palace up and they were desperate to keep hold of him. Less said about what happened thereafter the better. 

West Brom and Boro? 

Yeah, fair enough. 

4 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

He gave Stoke the better years than they could have ever dreamed possible.

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Well it’s done now, a sad, sad day. The real loser in this will be Chansiri, but in this case, he only has himself to blame. Cant bring myself to argue with fellow Owls, as I know, in the main, they’re just trying to be supportive. 
I will never buy into the Pulis brand, so I know that will eventually put me at odds with segments of our support, but for now, I’ll let them have the floor

Isn't it better to try and keep some sort of open mind? 

Yeah, the football isn't going to be that great, but we should see an athletic, fit side who will all know their roles. That in itself would be a massive step up from the dross we were getting served up by Monk prior. 

Pulis is a very experienced and down to earth football man who calls a spade a spade, his ability (according to other managers) is looking at a squad, seeing what he's got and getting the best out of them, this is precisely what we need in the current climes.

11 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

Taking into account the feedback from fans forums, Facebook and Twitter pages and local radio phone ins the main thing most fans want in a manager is that they wave their arms about and shout on the touchline, we've now got one that does that and no ones happy, its a strange beast football.

Football fans usually want whatever it is they don't have at that time. And if that means contradicting tomorrow what they said yesterday without shame or humility, they are quite happy to do so. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Even more so with the players on our books...

Players like Moses who excelled at Brentford playing technical attacking football (TAF) Iorfa who we signed from Wolves who play TAF,  JVA who we signed from the  Eredevisie where they generally play TAF, Brown from Chelsea, FDB from Man City, Even Marriott was better under Lampard at Derby playing TAF  Bannan..... You know where I’m going with this

Serious question. Do you really think our players are better suited to hoof ball or is it just that Monk couldn’t find a system and style to suit them? 

32 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Great post - suspect Lowe will be moving on to bigger things before we wake up from the nightmare that will be Pulis.  Still, we had our chance ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Isn't it better to try and keep some sort of open mind? 

Yeah, the football isn't going to be that great, but we should see an athletic, fit side who will all know their roles. That in itself would be a massive step up from the dross we were getting served up by Monk prior. 

Sure it is, but when it comes to how football is played, it either entertains you, or it doesn’t That I can’t compromise on, whether we are winning or not. Monk was a disaster, he had failure written all over him, and for sure, he needed to go. As manager, Pulis does have strengths, and will bring about a tougher mentality, I’ve no doubt His likely methods to try and achieve that though, will jar with me, and I know I won’t be able to get beyond that. Never have been a winning at all costs sort of guy

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

The problem is the higher you go up the leagues the harder it is to produce that as the opposition are better and you must be better than them. 

Had we had Watford or Bournemouths squad that approach may have been more of an option.

I am far more confident of promotion to the premier league with Pulis then I would be had we given it to Lowe.

17 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Stoke supporters didn't turn their noses up at him though. I mean, things probably ran their course there, but he's without question one of their greatest ever managers. That's just a fact. 

He kept Palace up and they were desperate to keep hold of him. Less said about what happened thereafter the better. 

West Brom and Boro? 

Yeah, fair enough. 

We’ll agree to differ about Stoke. Numerous newspaper articles about his demise despite his undoubted success