What was the first ever Sheffield Wednesday shirt that you bought/had?

I Had the “Arsenal in blue” Wednesday shirt and it was dead comfortable. 

I didn’t know any better as It was bought for me when I was a kid and now only like proper blue and white stripes. 

At some point I also had a red, yes red, top with white round collar and white cuffs. About 20% of clubs had that. 

I do not own any item of red clothing now I am in charge 

Edited by upperwinngardensowl

On 07/10/2020 at 14:20, Sleepy Joes Cafe said:

Around 1960/61. Bought from a sports shop on Bramall Lane. Jack Archers I think it was called but may be wrong

Wanted to be the new Johnny Fantham

E4C5F003-BDE2-4B3A-A6D9-E297A26B18FB.jpeg

That was my first one as well...and the boots look the same 🤣 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

I Had the “Arsenal in blue” Wednesday shirt and it was dead comfortable. 

I didn’t know any better as It was bought for me when I was a kid and now only like proper blue and white stripes. 

At some point I also had a red, yes red, top with white round collar and white cuffs. About 20% of clubs had that. 

I do not own any item of red clothing now I am in charge 

Mine was the same circa 1968-69.Absolutely loved it. I felt special living in Sharrow, most of the kids were United supporters but weren't very vocal about it. 

On 05/10/2020 at 16:33, Mister Soul said:

I loved this kit cause I guess it was my first but my first experience of watching the Owls was the striped Bukta kit which I relate to more

DF3F41A1-69C7-456F-A403-7CEA1B9D2E96.jpeg

This was my first Wednesday shirt as well, would have bought it in about 1967 when I was 11. I did have a blue and white striped one before this but discovered it was actually a Baggies shirt as the stripes were a much darker blue...that one stayed in the bottom of the drawer! Jumpin Jimmy McCalliog modelling it...so nicknamed by wags on the Kop when he started jumping when the tackles came in from the likes of Hunter, Chopper Harris et al!

Remember mine well it was the 1966 blue arsenal kit,solid blue with white sleeves and collar,shorts socks the works,went to suggs got it for chrimbo,ran off to greno park in it before x mas lunch for a kick about,frozen stiff,played world cup with 5 local lads then buggered off home for a huge turkey with all our relatives,2 days later Hickton smashed a hatrick past Arsenal really made my Xmas that,alas arse got their revenge at highbury the day after and we lost 2-5!

18 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I know times were hard in those days but having to share a football shirt with a stranger is a bit extreme

We only had one shirt for the whole team...every time you passed to someone you had to give him the shirt...a bit like walking football 🤣

• Haha 1

On 05/10/2020 at 15:36, Beighton Owl 87 said:

This was my first home shirt. Got it with my first season ticket on the kop in 93.

8ED0A994-E2B8-4989-B565-FEB030792E9E.jpeg.thumb.jpg.9da94cc92be75e12bbba598df9374a64.jpg

On 05/10/2020 at 17:36, N0rtherner said:

Same shirt for me.

Same here.  

I can still get into it as well  lol

I honestly can't remember. I definitely owned this one, so its probably the earliest....

image.thumb.png.6f256b37d6cb618b7f3709f683132d1f.png

But it's possible I had one from a couple of years earlier with the more traditional stripes. Or am I getting confused with the 97/98 kit - which I still have, but is bobbled to hell. Strange that I can't remember - I still have a 'Wednesday at Wembley' scarf from '93 which is the earliest piece of Wednesday gear I own.

Bizarrely the first football shirt I ever had was an Aston Villa shirt, at about the age of 4. Bizarre as none of my family are from Birmingham or Villa fans. My paternal side are all Wednesday and i've got quite a lot of relatives from the North East who are Newcastle/Sunderland. I think an uncle got it cheap from a market somewhere.