What was the first ever Sheffield Wednesday shirt that you bought/had?

When I was 6 or 7, my dad got me a Wednesday kit from a stall on Donny market which used to sell 'unofficial' kits.

I can still remember him giving it to me, right down to the plain white cardboard box it came in, with a clear plastic screen to show the colours of the kit inside.

I couldn't have cared less that it wasn't an official kit; to me, it was a Wednesday kit and I wore it at every opportunity.

The first 'proper' shirt I got was the black and yellow 93-94 away shirt, a year or two later.

• Like 2

From Burgins on Langsett Road as an 8th birthday present from my Aunty in August 1962. I don’t know if it was an exact replica of the shirt we were wearing at the time, I just asked for a Wednesday shirt & didn’t take it off for days.

From what I remember Burgins wasn’t just a sports shop, I think they did school uniforms, leather goods etc.

• Like 1

This was my first ever Wednesday shirt, bought for me by my mum, without the Sanderson sponsorship

C1_nWy_WIAAbtnp.jpg.00ac477a531288dbce1d1bea8206acee.jpg

I spotted it in a sports shop, which was rare at the time growing up in South Wales and as a 11 or 12 year old kid I told my mum that's what I most wanted for Christmas.

I wore it whenever I played football in the park with my mates for the next couple of years, pretending to be Chris Waddle. Years later I bought myself that shirt again for the nostalgia of it being my first ever Wednesday shirt but this time with my favourite childhood player 'Waddle and number 8' on it. 

This was the first football shirt I actually bought for myself, it was in a sports shop sale, around a year after we stopped wearing it but loved this away shirt too. Some of our away shirts during that era looked class. 

image_7a712574-28ec-402a-ac7f-f4e5027ef9b3_grande.jpg.5c34df7ffb58bd37b98aa3fe566b493a.jpg

• Like 2

This topic haunts me to this day. My Mum bought me a “Wednesday” shirt around 1980ish. It was yellow, however a lad at school told me it was a Leeds away shirt.

When I got home I picked off the sewn on Owls badge, to reveal what was left of a Leeds emblem. 

Apparently Suggs had sold out of Weds shirts so she compromised. As you can imagine I have disowned her and put her in a home.

• Love 1
  • Haha 7

Just now, Joe Jockstrap said:

This topic haunts me to this day. My Mum bought me a “Wednesday” shirt around 1980ish. It was yellow, however a lad at school told me it was a Leeds away shirt.

When I got home I picked off the sewn on Owls badge, to reveal what was left of a Leeds emblem. 

Apparently Suggs had sold out of Weds shirts so she compromised. As you can imagine I have disowned her and put her in a home.

WHAT THE HELL

lol

That's horrific!!

No  wonder  you're scarred

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

10 minutes ago, Joe Jockstrap said:

When I was aboout 11 I asked my mum for the Forest away kit. It was shiny yellow with blue Adidas stripes. Shiny kits were just coming in and I loved it.

Anyway she bought me that yellow Leeds away kit (the admiral one with a blue and white stripe down the arms.

Proper nipple ripper. I didn't have the heart to tell her I hated it, she just said I thought you wanted a yellow kit.