Bit of mixed reaction on Cardiff's forum

Re: Updated: Callum Paterson and Kenneth Zohore could join

by aberdare-blue » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:04 pm

Hes 3rd choice Centre forward
3rd choice in number 10 role
But cos he runs around alot Cardiff fans want him to stay 
He can't hold the ball up has a dreadful touch
He doesn't have the quality to play behind striker

If running around is your strong point thats not good enough anymore, thought he was very poor last season too, im sure he would be a miss in changing room. But if we get anywhere over 1.5m hes gone. Bring in better quality players

aberdare-blue

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t believe it’s as easy as some suggest, to convert yourself into a striker at this stage of his career. If Monk, and Beattie, can teach him how to think like a striker, maybe he could pull it off, but all that would take time, so we’d still require someone who knows how to lead the line. Can anyone think of a defender who has successfully transformed into a proper striker? I can’t think of anyone, but I’m sure there must have been one or two

Interesting fact (well I think so)

Ronaldo, the original one, started off as a goalkeeper, before swapping to striker halfway through a game. 

I know it’s not what you asked for, but I felt the need to share 😂

4 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Bit of mixed reaction on Cardiff's forum

Re: Updated: Callum Paterson and Kenneth Zohore could join

by aberdare-blue » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:04 pm

Hes 3rd choice Centre forward
3rd choice in number 10 role
But cos he runs around alot Cardiff fans want him to stay 
He can't hold the ball up has a dreadful touch
He doesn't have the quality to play behind striker

If running around is your strong point thats not good enough anymore, thought he was very poor last season too, im sure he would be a miss in changing room. But if we get anywhere over 1.5m hes gone. Bring in better quality players

aberdare-blue

You are always going to get different opinions when a player is mooted to be leaving, it’s the same on here We do seem to like players who run around a lot though

Just now, gurujuan said:

You are always going to get different opinions when a player is mooted to be leaving, it’s the same on here We do seem to like players who run around a lot though

the general feeling seems indifference mainly which is slightly worrying.  Doesn't seem to fit the remit for players Monk was suggesting a few weeks ago.   

Not the fastest by all accounts or the quickest on the ball.  So once we have arrived at the opponents goalmouth area in the blink of an eye  do they all have to wait till Callum catches up with them?

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

not in the league :ph34r:

Considering he's played in the Scottish Premiership and the Premier League, for all but two of his professional career, then it'd be mightily impressive if he had played over 40 league games. 🙄

In his two seasons in the Championship, he's played 41 games and 35 games in both of those season. Seems like he came to Cardiff with a knee injury, which kept him out of the first 12 games, and he sustained an ankle injury at the end of the the Premer League season, where he missed eight games.

Other than those two isolated injuries, he's been pretty much available for the entirety of his Cardiff career.

We are not in a position to be buying somebody for the future unless they can also do it today, in which case they would cost a fortune.

Also we need somebody to fit in with the ethos and style Monk is trying to play. Like it or lump it that  is going to be high press, all action with subtlety not being prime requirement. Hopefully with just enough composure and ability when we need it.

We also still lack characters, steel and players that rattle the opposition.

Paterson will cover a lot of these things while being a big plus in both penalty boxes.He ain’t a silky footballer , hopefully will be just mobile enough and I can understand why Monk is happy to try and bring him in.

9 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

On a free I could definitely see it - if there is a fee surely it would be minimal. 

The Cardiff fan comments suggest they are cutting their cloth too - so maybe it’ll be a cheap deal that suits both of us. 

I think he will cost a reasonable fee. Don’t ask me what’s reasonable 

16 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I think he will cost a reasonable fee. Don’t ask me what’s reasonable 

He's got 18 months left on his contract, and was a free transfer signing from Hearts.

Deemed surplus to requirements at Cardiff, I'd suggest £650-850k (perhaps slightly more) would be a pretty fair price, given his top flight experience, his age and reliability.

Edited by frastheowl