Callum Paterson

5 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Please happen - I absolutely love Callum.

I’ve watched Paterson loads at Hearts, guaranteed I’ve seen him more than anyone else on here. Callum is a proper professional, a good athlete, great to have around the dressing room and the best header of a ball I’ve seen in 30+ years of watching football. He’s also decent with the ball at his feet too, he’s versatile, and he could be the perfect target man up top too. Sign him up!

That's some praise there ! I've never heard of him but if he's anywhere close to what you say, I agree, sign him up.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AwokenGiant said:

Seen a clip of Warnock on Goals on Sunday saying Paterson wasn't good enough to defend at PL level, but was as good as any he's worked with in the air. He follows this by saying that similar to Mitrovic at Fulham he's strong and difficult to play against and has an eye for goal. Reminds me of a Wood-esque player when Monk was at Leeds, when he - and since him Dyche (at Burnley) - utilised Wood as the spearhead of the team.

Still only 25 as well and looks a character.

Not saying hes a bad player or would be a bad signing, but just dont think hes what we need. We need goals. None of our current team offers a lot of that. Dont think Patterson would help in that department. As a RWB tho would be a better option that Palmer.

4 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Would you think he would be deployed mainly  as a defender or striker with us?

Hard to say mate. I think the problem Callum has had in his career is that he has been played all over the pitch and never really held a position of his own for long periods. He has played right back, right wing back, right midfield, centre midfield and up front. I think he even covered in the centre of defence one time for Hearts too. To be fair to him that says a lot about him and his versatility.

Paterson is better going forward IMO than defensively, he’s not as strong defending, but the boy will run all day long, he is strong, very direct, great in the air, and he can ping them from distance too. He brings energy, he’s a footballer that you can tell genuinely enjoys playing and scoring, and I think that’s exactly what we need. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

He's a player that ticks a lot of boxes...especially considering the transition Monk wants to initiate and the current situation regarding finances within the game.

As a player, he has a lot of the attributes and mental traits that Monk has stated that he wants to instil through the squad. He's the archetypical work-horse. Would run through brick walls, regardless of position, and leave nothing out there once he crosses the white line. 

He's immensely reliable. It seems like he's only had one spell out through injury since signing for Cardiff. He's exactly the type of player Monk craves...somebody who can play 40 games a season.

He's ridiculously versatile. When we were linked with him, I assumed he'd be our right wing back option. But, actually, he's only played full back at Cardiff on only 4 games. 21 games have been played on the right hand side of midfield (which is probably the most similar role to our wing back role), 20 games in centre midfield, 22 games as an attacking midfielder and 27 games as striker. Also worth nothing, 29 of these games were played in the Premier League.

If you're wanting to streamline your squad, he seems almost too good to be true.

The drawbacks... probably his versatility! What actually is he? Is he been brought in as a solution to our striker shortage? If so, I'm not sure he's going to be the answer. And inversely, if he's been brought in, as a player who can fill in in so many positions, then can we really get the best out of him?

That said...so long as he's not been brought in as our primary Number Nine, and the finances stack up...there's a lot to like about this transfer. Still yet to reach his peak age, he could represent real value for money as well as provide vital cover and reliability in so much positions.

• Like 4

I am pretty sure we would play him up front.

He isn’t perfect but will fit the work ethic that Monk is trying to install while taking the weight up front. Also a competitive, nasty sod on the pitch and we need some more like that as Monk wants more of that in the team.

We have got to stop being nice.

14 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Hard to say mate. I think the problem Callum has had in his career is that he has been played all over the pitch and never really held a position of his own for long periods. He has played right back, right wing back, right midfield, centre midfield and up front. I think he even covered in the centre of defence one time for Hearts too. To be fair to him that says a lot about him and his versatility.

Paterson is better going forward IMO than defensively, he’s not as strong defending, but the boy will run all day long, he is strong, very direct, great in the air, and he can ping them from distance too. He brings energy, he’s a footballer that you can tell genuinely enjoys playing and scoring, and I think that’s exactly what we need. 

Is he over his injuries as far as you know or is it something we should be concerned about? 

6 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

He's a player that ticks a lot of boxes...especially considering the transition Monk wants to initiate and the current situation regarding finances within the game.

As a player, he has a lot of the attributes and mental traits that Monk has stated that he wants to instil through the squad. He's the archetypical work-horse. Would run through brick walls, regardless of position, and leave nothing out there once he crosses the white line. 

He's immensely reliable. It seems like he's only had one spell out through injury since signing for Cardiff. He's exactly the type of player Monk craves...somebody who can play 40 games a season.

He's ridiculously versatile. When we were linked with him, I assumed he'd be our right wing back option. But, actually, he's only played full back at Cardiff on only 4 games. 21 games have been played on the right hand side of midfield (which is probably the most similar role to our wing back role), 20 games in centre midfield, 22 games as an attacking midfielder and 27 games as striker. Also worth nothing, 29 of these games were played in the Premier League.

If you're wanting to streamline your squad, he seems almost too good to be true.

The drawbacks... probably his versatility! What actually is he? Is he been brought in as a solution to our striker shortage? If so, I'm not sure he's going to be the answer. And inversely, if he's been brought in, as a player who can fill in in so many positions, then can we really get the best out of him?

That said...so long as he's not been brought in as our primary Number Nine, and the finances stack up...there's a lot to like about this transfer. Still yet to reach his peak age, he could represent real value for money as well as provide vital cover and reliability in so much positions.

don’t mean to be picky but he hasn’t played 40 games a season ever. 

18 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

don’t mean to be picky but he hasn’t played 40 games a season ever. 

Out of his 7 seasons in senior football there was only his 2 seasons with Cardiff in the Championship where it was possible to play more than 40 league games a season.

• Like 1

I don’t believe it’s as easy as some suggest, to convert yourself into a striker at this stage of his career. If Monk, and Beattie, can teach him how to think like a striker, maybe he could pull it off, but all that would take time, so we’d still require someone who knows how to lead the line. Can anyone think of a defender who has successfully transformed into a proper striker? I can’t think of anyone, but I’m sure there must have been one or two