Callum Paterson

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

He's got 18 months left on his contract, and was a free transfer signing from Hearts.

Deemed surplus to requirements at Cardiff, I'd suggest £650-850k (perhaps slightly more) would be a pretty fair price, given his top flight experience, his age and reliability.

It wasn’t a free mate. He was near the end of his contract but Hearts got £400k plus a sell on fee for him. 

44 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Still seems like a Bullen type to me. Great for the team. But you need a bit more too.

How does Glatzel keep him out if he’s as good as some of them say?

Paterson is several times the player Bullen was and I’ve got a lot of time for Lee Bullen.

37 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

You’d also have to ask why there was a reluctance from Hearts and Cardiff to use him as a striker, especially as that is what he initially was 

Paterson has never really been an out and out striker. He has mostly been used as an emergency striker if he plays up top. He was a striker in the academy but he started his first team football at Hearts at right back. I think his first Hearts goal was when we won at Rotherham in a friendly. I went to the game and he played up front in that game and in that game Hearts were the first away team to win at the New York Stadium. He has mostly been played in defence and out wide in midfield at both Hearts and Cardiff. He did however play up front for Scotland in our last game when he came on as a sub. 

33 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s a bit of a worry that he looks pretty average on his showreel, when even the also rans, look like world beaters on those things

He scored 10 in his first season in the Championship from midfield and 4 in the Premier League. How many players do we have that can say they could do that? He’s not a world beater but Callum is a good pro and he’s a better player than the majority of our current squad. He would be a good signing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Don’t know who he is but that’s wrong. Cardiff were in the Championship when he signed and I don’t think he has signed another contract since he has been there.

Also worth nothing that Hearts have a 15% sell on clause for whatever transfer fee Cardiff get for him.

20 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That’s the problem for me, with the midfield we’ve assembled, we need a rapier, not a sledgehammer. The last thing we want is someone who is slow, clumsy, but good in the air, as the likes of Bannan and Brown will be wasted Nuisance value off the bench, maybe, but no way does he look capable of being our main striker

But isn't that the problem with Rhodes? - we bought a rapier and play him as a sledgehammer (asking him to close down centre backs, challenge in the air, press hard) when he's not suited to it.

Think Paterson might be more suited to this defending from the front that leaves Rhodes too knackered to do much else.

1 minute ago, edinburghowl said:

Don’t know who he is but that’s wrong. Cardiff were in the Championship when he signed and I don’t think he has signed another contract since he has been there.

Also worth nothing that Hearts have a 15% sell on clause for whatever transfer fee Cardiff get for him.

Dunno why I bother ....

4 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Not my fault, go and give him the hassle, I'm just the messenger. 

He's supposed to know his stuff and is highly regarded... What did he say?  I never read it, he chats poo.  

he said we would only get 8 points deducted if I remember correctly :Chansiri:

Wasn't sure if I wanted us to sign Patterson yesterday, but more I think about it more I like the idea of bringing him in.

Think he would fit in perfectly with high pressing style we are playing this season, would work very hard for the team and provide aerial presence we are missing in both open game and from set-pieces.

I don't see him as a replacement for Fletcher but rather as an update to Nuhiu (make out of that what you want 🙂).

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Be interesting if he does sign where Monk will play him. You would think with how short we are upfront he would play him as a striker. At least until we bring a number 9 in, I really hope we still can do that even if we sign Paterson. 

I like his versatility and his energy. Warnock rated him and liked his work rate, and said he would play anywhere or run through brick walls, he liked him in midfield and in attack. Reporters in South Wales, say Cardiff bought Moore and Glatzel, recently and that Patterson see's himself as a number 9 type and wants to break back into the Scottish international side. And that he can effectively play the right side of midfield, right side of the attack or a number 9 role. Source - walesonline

My personal view, after seeing a lot of Cardiff in recent years, is that he would surprise some of us. With just how energetic, hardworking and decent he actually is and I potentially could see him as more of a Hooper type for us? I think he'd be a useful player to have in the squad, if we did sign him. 

Edited by The Night-Owl
  • Like 2