Callum Paterson

30 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Certainly agree that we need a forward who knows where the goal is but I suspect Luton will be using the same logic as you and therefore will keep hold of him.   Why go giving yourself a problem when you already have the answer? 

If we have the money to waste on Zohore then we could get a lot cheaper goal scoring option in Collins and every player has a price and come January he is effectively a free agent. Yes Luton probably will want to keep him but they have goals in their team, they concede too many the other end, maybe a swop with Tom Lees + cash might be in the offing working for us getting a player we need and a fee for Lees and his wages off the overheads. 

Tin hat on lol

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

If we have the money to waste on Zohore then we could get a lot cheaper goal scoring option in Collins and every player has a price and come January he is effectively a free agent. Yes Luton probably will want to keep him but they have goals in their team, they concede too many the other end, maybe a swop with Tom Lees + cash might be in the offing working for us getting a player we need and a fee for Lees and his wages off the overheads. 

Tin hat on lol

It's not gonna happen neither is Zohore either.  Tom Lees will lead us back to the Premier. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Quist said:

I not sure where you are coming from. He will be brought as a front player. He is unlikely to be used in the wing  back role.

His best games have been upfront. He will suit our style, we are hard working and put pressure on opposition. This guy is mobile and good in air as a bonus. Although not rapid he is nippy as well which will suit when we put through balls through to forwards. He puts a shift in which is what we need. In addition we have a coach in Beattie who has turned geese into swans lets hope this is another. 

Having seen Zohore and Patterson play I would say Patterson is far better in air. he is far more industrious, a better team player and just as quick. Cardiff got rid of Zohore and kept Patterson. Warnock would have signed Zohore for Boro if he thought could be useful this season instead gave wide berth.

Can't say I'd noticed him when we've played them, but thanks for the summary. Sounds very much like a team player, the type Monk is looking for. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

No I mean like Rhodes who was picked in only 19 of 46 match day squad, Winnall was picked even less, as was Fessi they didn't play so we cannot comment if they would or would have got the goals. But normally when a striker get a run in the team they have a tendency to score goals if they get good enough service that it, but for what ever reason when we lost Fletcher in January Monk chose not to play any of the striker he had and we managed to pick 13 points up from a possible 69.

That would suggest Monk may have been picking the wrong players up front. Now we are being linked with players who replace what we allowed to leave on free Zohore an expenses Nuihu, Paterson a Winnall without goals, all we need now is McCormack a more expensive version of Rhodes.

Winnall and fessi not getting in the team much at all last season is absolutely great by me. Glad to see the back of them both, onwards and hopefully upwards with players who actually put a proper shift in.

I'm loving the team spirit and togetherness right now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

Winnall and fessi not getting in the team much at all last season is absolutely great by me. Glad to see the back of them both, onwards and hopefully upwards with players who actually put a proper shift in.

I'm loving the team spirit and togetherness right now.

Indeed we have made a good start long may it continue, but we desperately need a proven goal scorer and the lads we are being linked with are shirt fillers rather than one that will bring the quality we need. Stay away from Zohore and Paterson both will cost a lot and provide very little/

2 hours ago, wilyfox said:

He hasn't really been a right-back for a few years now. Watched an interview with him saying he was a striker at Hearts before he played right-back. Seems he's made his way back to that position. Personally, I like him. He's aggressive, excellent in the air, and is a strong finisher with either foot. He can play. 

I believe he has the attributes to be a striker. He's useful that he's adaptable and still has energy, to me whenever I've seen him play in a attacking role, he reminds me a bit of how Hooper used to play for us. He can play and seems like he links up well with others. He could be a very smart signing if we get him and he could work well in a front two or three, along with the likes of Windass and Kachunga or another new striker, if we bring him in and another? 

1 hour ago, Quist said:

I not sure where you are coming from. He will be brought as a front player. He is unlikely to be used in the wing  back role.

His best games have been upfront. He will suit our style, we are hard working and put pressure on opposition. This guy is mobile and good in air as a bonus. Although not rapid he is nippy as well which will suit when we put through balls through to forwards. He puts a shift in which is what we need. In addition we have a coach in Beattie who has turned geese into swans lets hope this is another. 

Having seen Zohore and Patterson play I would say Patterson is far better in air. he is far more industrious, a better team player and just as quick. Cardiff got rid of Zohore and kept Patterson. Warnock would have signed Zohore for Boro if he thought could be useful this season instead gave wide berth.

With respect, Patterson has not played enough games as a striker to make a solid judgment on his capabilities. If he did indeed start as a striker, with strikers being such a valuable commodity, why has he spent most of his career at full back On the occasions I’ve seen him operate as a striker, he’s looked a willing workhorse, but lacked any real awareness of a strikers role. Again though, I also won’t have seen enough of him to form a reliable opinion. From what I’ve seen, he was most effective at Hearts where he scored goals from full back. He certainly doesn’t have a better all round strikers game than Zohore. In truth though, would we have considered either of them a year ago?

Edited by gurujuan

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

If we have money to waste on Zohore who is on £50,000 a week and there will be a loan fee involved.

Then we have enough money to go out an buy a striker with proven Championship goals in James Collins from Luton, unlike Zohore he actually got into double figures more than 1 season in his whole career (7 to be correct). Unlike Zohore he isn't doing to be on £50,000 a week I will surprised if he is on much more than £5k a week, he is in the last year of his contract and has a career record of 1 goal less than every 3 games over nearly 500 games, he is 6ft 2" and should Monk be looking for a target man can play that role and also his striker Partner last season playing just in behind him, was none other than Izzy Brown. In a team fighting to stay in the league scored more goals last season than our top striker Fletcher.

A player we could probably pick up for not much more than £1m and at 29 still have probably his best years ahead.

But lets get some in on loan instead, pay a silly loan fee, get them game time so when they go back to their parent club they get to sell them on for more and we have nothing. OR we could buy a good player for a relatively cheap fee let him score the goals to keep us in the league, them next season teams come calling offering millions to sign him from us.

I hope not we need a proven scorer who is going to get the goals to keep us in the league not someone unproven with a record worse last season that Nuihu.

Any money we have should be spent on someone who will score goals like James Collins.

Last year of his contract currently value around £1m in the market we currently have we could probably pick him up for less with add on based on goals.

He is a much more prolific and better option than wasting money on Zohore or Paterson he scored more goals than both of them put together last season too.

No I mean like Rhodes who was picked in only 19 of 46 match day squad, Winnall was picked even less, as was Fessi they didn't play so we cannot comment if they would or would have got the goals. But normally when a striker get a run in the team they have a tendency to score goals if they get good enough service that it, but for what ever reason when we lost Fletcher in January Monk chose not to play any of the striker he had and we managed to pick 13 points up from a possible 69.

That would suggest Monk may have been picking the wrong players up front. Now we are being linked with players who replace what we allowed to leave on free Zohore an expenses Nuihu, Paterson a Winnall without goals, all we need now is McCormack a more expensive version of Rhodes.

According to a few website he is valued at about £950k but in the current transfer market which is definitely a buyers market, if we put the right package together based on performance and goals scored I can see it not being a lot more than £1m - if he score us 10-20 goals in the season it will be the best £1-2m we have spent in 5 years when you look how much the likes of Fletcher, Fessi and Rhodes have cost us per goal.

29 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Tin hat on lol

Hi, James. 

can I have your autograph please?

• Haha 2

If Paterson was to come in and play alongside Zohore I’d be delighted.

I just hope Paterson isn’t the only option as a striker coming in. I like Paterson as a squad player as he can cover 3/4 positions but I really hope he isn’t being recruited as someone to be an out and out striker. 

Monk said we are wanting a couple new additions. I assume one maybe Sanderson as he covers CB and RWB. Then the other will be a striker (Zohore/Paterson). Ideally I think 2 strikers are still required. 

Patterson’s holds all the attributes we are looking for physical, hard working, a real workman for the team 

here’s the question with the positions quoted 

does he improve our right back / wingback ( yes ) 

attacking and physicality in midfield ( yes ) 

striker options ( yes ) 

people say squad player 

as far as I see he can compete and make a number positions his own 

Harris, Palmer, Luongo, Rhodes could all very easily be benched with his arrival once he’s settled in 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

With respect, Patterson has not played enough games as a striker to make a solid judgment on his capabilities. If he did indeed start as a striker, with strikers being such a valuable commodity, why has he spent most of his career at full back On the occasions I’ve seen him operate as a striker, he’s looked a willing workhorse, but lacked any real awareness of a strikers role. Again though, I also won’t have seen enough of him to form a reliable opinion. From what I’ve seen, he was most effective at Hearts where he scored goals from full back. He certainly doesn’t have a better all round strikers game than Zohore. In truth though, would we have considered either of them a year ago?

Have you actually seen Wednesday play this season? 

Patterson game and style would suit us far better than some one like Zahore. We are all about work rate and set pieces.

• Like 2