Rhodes

The worst bit of transfer business in our history 

Would love to know the story who identified him as worth spaffing  all that money on 

Was it his dad that convinced Carlos and Mr C to do it ? 

The first couple of games I saw him play for us he was running like he was towing a caravan , I thought he was Just unfit but that was not the case . 

• Like 1

Don’t personally believe the theory that’s he’s simply lost pace. He’s never been fast, strong or even good on the ball. 

For me we signed a player who is nothing more than a bog liner and expected more.

We simply haven’t ever made him the main man and let him do what he’s good at... bog line.

I believe if someone makes him the main man and gets the team playing around him and playing to his strengths he will score plenty of goals. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 0114 said:

Don’t personally believe the theory that’s he’s simply lost pace. He’s never been fast, strong or even good on the ball. 

For me we signed a player who is nothing more than a bog liner and expected more.

We simply haven’t ever made him the main man and let him do what he’s good at... bog line.

I believe if someone makes him the main man and gets the team playing around him and playing to his strengths he will score plenty of goals. 

Where is the que ? 

Guest Kameron

He’s lost his way but it’s not all his fault.  Football is now at lot less open than it was, too many managers are afraid to play an open game.  Probably needs to drop down a level to regain some confidence.

Just now, 0114 said:

This is my belief too

I think he needs a run in the side as vs Forest last season he proved he does still have it in his locker. Maybe FF and Fletch leaving will be a blessing and he can finally find some form

6 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Big problem, by setting a team up to pander to his particular style of play, might well get him scoring, but to the detriment of the teams success. Even when he was scoring goals, his teams never won naff all, he’s made a career out of scoring consolation goals

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

Just now, gurujuan said:

Big problem, by setting a team up to pander to his particular style of play, might well get him scoring, but to the detriment of the teams success. Even when he was scoring goals, his teams never won naff all, he’s make a career out of scoring consolation goals

Mate, i'd take consolation goals all day long if it actually means us getting the ball anywhere near the box 😂

16 minutes ago, 0114 said:

I'm 48, overweight and unfit, have never played football at a decent level, but I reckon if the entire team setup and game plan was changed to work on providing me with open goals 6 yards out I'd bag 20 a season easy.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

True but even when we did attack under Carlos in his first couple of seasons he wasn't the player he once was and he was only 27/28 at the time

Carlos seemed to want him to be a target man and have Winnall playoff him. That seemed to be the dynamic when they played anyway.

As is painfull obvious to everyone but carlos, Rhodes isn't a target man.

Against Leicester, Rhodes' movement and energy was good, he was where you'd want him to be when you'd want him to be there, so that bodes well should he actually get a run of games under Monk finally.

48 minutes ago, Carbone said:

He never scored goals in a good team. Like Bony who went to Man City, was very good at average sides before that and failed at City.

I've never known our fanbase be so patient with one player. Others get abuse after a couple of bad performances, after nearly 4 years of nothing some of our fans still say "he just needs the service".

Pretty sure Rhodes has had his fair share of abuse. I think fans show a bit of tolerance, as with winnall, because he doesn’t seem to get a decent run of games to put any sort of form together. Plus, he was a key part of the Norwich squad that got promoted to the premier league while on loan from us. It’s a puzzle as to why he hasn’t done well here but for me there’s more to it than him losing his way. He’s a good striker at this level.

53 minutes ago, Carbone said:

He never scored goals in a good team. Like Bony who went to Man City, was very good at average sides before that and failed at City.

I've never known our fanbase be so patient with one player. Others get abuse after a couple of bad performances, after nearly 4 years of nothing some of our fans still say "he just needs the service".

Agree. If someone passed me the ball in the penalty area id score a few too.

Twenty years ago.

Actually thirty bleedin ell!

Edited by Nero

Guest Bulgaria

He just looks scared to death. I just think his confidence is shot.

Feel for the bloke, I really do. Never have I wanted a player to score more than I do Jordan Rhodes. He doesn't strike me as a confident sort of character and I believe with some of the gobby players we have had in our dressing room over the years it has made him go into his shell more than ever.

5 minutes ago, 109Waddle said:

Pretty sure Rhodes has had his fair share of abuse. I think fans show a bit of tolerance, as with winnall, because he doesn’t seem to get a decent run of games to put any sort of form together. Plus, he was a key part of the Norwich squad that got promoted to the premier league while on loan from us. It’s a puzzle as to why he hasn’t done well here but for me there’s more to it than him losing his way. He’s a good striker at this level.

He's had plenty of starts at Wednesday, particularly in his first year and a half, and he just hasn't delivered.

As for being "a key part of the Norwich squad that got promoted" - he didn't play more than 20 minutes in a game for them that season after the end of October.  In their final 30 league games there were 24 games when he either didn't play (12 times) or got on for 5 minutes or less (also 12 times)

• Like 2