Why a new manager is a must and why that would work

Are we excited having Garry Monk as our manager ? .... No

Does the prospect of finding a shiny new manager excite us ? ... Yes

Do we have a Chairman with the insight and support team to procure one ? ....No

Is Sheffield Wednesday a place that a good new manager would want to come to ?... Yes, I still believe it is. The points deduction will rule out one or two but the fans and the size of the club will still be a hell of a draw , particularly for one of the young recently successful ones that we’ve all mentioned on OT before.

I think that we will begin the season with Monk. Chansiri would have fired him after the Middlesbrough game if he was going to do it.

I’m prepared to get behind GM , partly because I don’t trust the Chairman in the recruitment process and after the relegation “ let off “ I’m hoping that the tide of cr•p that we have been swimming against might finally have turned.

10 hours ago, Ronio said:

Absolutely.  

The club needs to head in a different direction as in now.  

Those backing Monk, will just be getting the same structure behind it as in Paxo as head of recruitment and Monk managing the team.

Or we can get a new manager in who will have charge of the transfers.. Take your pick.  

I know what I would go for.  

DC will have to be seen to be doing something behind the scenes.  This mess can't keep going on as it has been.

Something has to give, something needs to change.  If DC is too stubborn to address these problems, he won't have many supporters left who back him.  

Why cant we just get rid of Paxo then?

I'm hoping GM can create his own squad and be better than what we've watched since Xmas. He inherited the players that let us down, just like the manager in the op. He didn't get a pre season with those players, just like the manager in the op. He is, in effect, a new manager coming in because the decks have been cleared a bit and we need to rebuild. He's got an advantage over a new manager because he's seen who is up to the job and the fight and who isn't. He's seen who can work and play his way and who can't. He will have players identified to work with him. We have scouts etc that will have been looking for players under his instructions. Players who have certain attributes and qualities. A new manager has 6 weeks to do it, Gary Monk has had longer. I honestly don't think a new manager would be the magic wand many hope for. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, swinners said:

A new manager who is appointed early is, in my opinion, a must. 

Here's why I think it would work.  

A top manager (let's say Pearson) is needed to come in and recruit well.  How many times have we heard a manager say "this squad is inherited and they are not my players" early manger appointment would avoid this. 

How many times have we heard "I needed a pre-season with the full squad and then things will be better" Early recruitment is needed to avoid this. 

A new manager would get at least the first season as a virtual 'free hit'.  If we struggled or went down it would be that a 12 point (hopefully less on appeal) deduction was root cause and now the new manager has has a year with the squad it is time to build upon that.  If we come mid table or even (dare to think) do well and push for play offs the man would quickly become a legend.  

In my opinion a new manager would get this transfer window, the winter one and at least the next summer one to build his squad and this could bring us the success we need to build and go forward.   If Monk stays (again, in my opinion), recruitment wouldn't be of enough quality, tactics would be poor bringing around a sacking in November / December.  A new manager would then say "these aren't my players, we need time and of course a preseason with the squad to make this better". 

I believe that Chansiri needs to act just like if it was a business (a failing business with lots of vacancies need key and quality personal to get that business going again).  Our key personnel are obviously quality players, but the number one key personal is without a doubt the manager and we need a good one and fast. I don't subscribe to "we can't pull a decent manager" theme.  Money talks and one would come if the terms were right, especially if the above is right.. A free season to work with (hopefully a good one) and building opportunities to embed a playing philosophy (hopefully, free flowing and entertaining) knowing they had time on their side.  A perfect opportunity for a top, top manager.  

Come on Chansiri, make it so. 

You’re hoping for a miracle. The lunatics are in charge. This is a mess that won’t be turned round anytime soon.

We all know what needs doing and we all know it won’t get done.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Garry Monk inherited players - they're not his players

Garry Monk didn't get a pre-season with the full squad

Garry Monk didn't get his own management structure

What you've said above basically screams out that Garry Monk has been totally screwed over and should be given the three above points!

Inherited Players - Seemed to do OK with them at first when they still had Bruce's influence

Didn't get a pre season - see above, but as the season wore on and he could influence the players more we should have got better

Didn't get his own management structure - Said this before, if he didn't get what he wanted, why did he take the job, he was either desperate or thought he was better than he is

So all this points to is that the more influence he had on the team the worse we got

• Like 2

12 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

What you've said above basically screams out that Garry Monk has been totally screwed over and should be given the three above points!

Don’t disagree with any of that Neil - but answer honestly - do you think he now has the ability to turn it around??

4 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

Why would a 76byear old who has a easy job being chairman of managers association wanna come here 

Also he hasn't had anything to do with this club for 32 years

That’s not true. He was Chairman Of SWFC at the time Milan took over the club and chaired the shareholders meeting at which we all agreed to forfeit our shares to MM. He is a current Vice President of SWFC and is at most matches with his wife Sam in the Director’s box. What I was saying is that he is part of the structure already and almost certainly willing to advise. 

8 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

I see your point, personally I would have got rid of him last season, even before the season was halted. Results and performances after Christmas were atrocious. Hope to be proved wrong but can't see Monk lasting the season, if he does, then hopefully that means lessons were learned and we somehow stay up and build for the future. Don't think Monk will be gone before the season starts but think it's likely he will probably go at some point during next season. 

Yes I  agree, think we are stuck with him for the time being but he's sure to be gone when DC finally sees the light with Div 1 on the horizon. Most Wednesdayites have already found Monk out just waiting for DC to act and sooner the better.

Monk OUT.

Guest Jack the Hat
11 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

I’m not being negative on purpose.  It’s just an honest appraisal of where we are.

Any manager worth their salt will be eyeing up the Bristol City or Watford jobs.

What have SWFC got to offer a potential manager candidate that those clubs can’t?

Supporters, history and a decent ground.

1 hour ago, latemodelchild said:

I'm hoping GM can create his own squad and be better than what we've watched since Xmas. He inherited the players that let us down, just like the manager in the op. He didn't get a pre season with those players, just like the manager in the op. He is, in effect, a new manager coming in because the decks have been cleared a bit and we need to rebuild. He's got an advantage over a new manager because he's seen who is up to the job and the fight and who isn't. He's seen who can work and play his way and who can't. He will have players identified to work with him. We have scouts etc that will have been looking for players under his instructions. Players who have certain attributes and qualities. A new manager has 6 weeks to do it, Gary Monk has had longer. I honestly don't think a new manager would be the magic wand many hope for. 

This is the way I'm thinking right now, too.

Those harking back to Bruce's blink-and-you'd-miss-it tenure assume everything would have carried on in the same vein, but there's no reason to think that the same issues which reared their head (again) under Monk wouldn't have done under Bruce if he'd stuck around.

Monk actually picked up more points in his first 18 games in charge than Bruce did in his 18, but since Christmas he's well and truly seen the worst of this squad on occasion. Particularly given the short turn around this summer, I'd rather give him the chance to address our many issues than to bring in a new manager who might be conned into thinking certain players are better than they really are.

• Like 1

To get to zero points we have to win four games. We've only won four league games in the last 23. I know people joke about it taking until Christmas to get to this point but this manager's recent record suggests it's a very realistic prospect?

I just wonder if DC is re-evaluating his options at the moment? He knows that his stock amongst the support is low and perhaps one way to lift that in the short term is a managerial change? If he sticks with the current manager then perhaps it suggests he's just not bothered anymore which in some ways I would perfectly understand? If this is the case then he owes it to himself and the fans to try and move the club on as quickly as is possible which is going to be a pretty difficult task in the current climate?  

• Like 2

Just now, Jim said:

To get to zero points we have to win four games. We've only won four league games in the last 23. I know people joke about it taking until Christmas to get to this point but this manager's recent record suggests it's a very realistic prospect?

I just wonder if DC is re-evaluating his options at the moment? He knows that his stock amongst the support is low and perhaps one way to lift that in the short term is a managerial change? If he sticks with the current manager then perhaps it suggests he's just not bothered anymore which in some ways I would perfectly understand? If this is the case then he owes it to himself and the fans to try and move the club on as quickly as is possible which is going to be a pretty difficult task in the current climate?  

Monk's the man though. 

Let him bring in his backroom staff or this isn't even his squad or something 

Monk hasn't been dealt a good hand, but he hasn't played it well either. I reluctantly came to the thinking that results dictate his position probably untennable.

But, it looks like DC is keeping him, so we can stamp our feet and moan on an internet forum or bite the bullit and get behind him for the sake of the club. 

On the plus side, he knows exactly what is needed to transition this squad, something a new manager would take time to assess. Also worth considering it took almost 10 weeks to replace Bruce, wasting last season and can't afford that next season. 

Clutching at straws somewhat, but Monk won 11 points in his first 6 games, its DC's gamble now that he can recreate that form. 

7 minutes ago, striker said:

Monk hasn't been dealt a good hand, but he hasn't played it well either. I reluctantly came to the thinking that results dictate his position probably untennable.

But, it looks like DC is keeping him, so we can stamp our feet and moan on an internet forum or bite the bullit and get behind him for the sake of the club. 

On the plus side, he knows exactly what is needed to transition this squad, something a new manager would take time to assess. Also worth considering it took almost 10 weeks to replace Bruce, wasting last season and can't afford that next season. 

Clutching at straws somewhat, but Monk won 11 points in his first 6 games, its DC's gamble now that he can recreate that form. 

I'm not convinced Monk knows anything TBH? He talks a lot but you see very little of what he says actually put in practice. Only Terry Yorath has a worse points haul (14) in a 23 game period since 2000 than Monk and he had the decency to resign.

If Monk starts the season then even I accept that he needs to be given time as a sacking around November /December sees us in a position where yet another manager inherits someone else's players and we can't afford that again. The problem is though does anyone truly believe that Monk is the man to undertake the massive job we have now with next to no track record of showing he's capable of this?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Difference is monk made us significantly worse since he took over. Not all of his own making but he did. New manager ASAP 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jim said:

Brilliant post. Hope your right 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1