Why a new manager is a must and why that would work

13 hours ago, Ronio said:

A new manager is a must.

In the future we will look back at this moment and think there was a golden chance to change the direction the club is heading in.

Nothing will change, sadly.  

Its a fair point,but just clarify please:(and please dont say he has 'learned' unless you provide evidence of 'why'Please)

As we have the same Owner,& management structure, same alleged 'advisors' etc....That led to our previous alleged Club troubles...Why would a different Manager solve the issues at S6?..And i would offer the same challenge to you as others: IF you want to use Monks post xmas match stats,and say or imply he is not the right Manager,please repost any posts of yours,pre Xmas,where you thought that...

3 minutes ago, parajack said:

Its a fair point,but just clarify please:(and please dont say he has 'learned' unless you provide evidence of 'why'Please)

As we have the same Owner,& management structure, same alleged 'advisors' etc....That led to our previous alleged Club troubles...Why would a different Manager solve the issues at S6?..And i would offer the same challenge to you as others: IF you want to use Monks post xmas match stats,and say or imply he is not the right Manager,please repost any posts of yours,pre Xmas,where you thought that...

The problems are large and deep rooted. Any new manager would seem to have his hands tied by available money and policy. Those who know Steve Bruce sat it was always likely that his tenure would have been short and if you look at his CV, he hasn’t stayed anywhere for very long. I reckon that DC must have spent £130m (excluding the £60m in instalments to buy the stadium he already owned). He will never get that back in our current predicament. So unless he is prepared to cut his losses and sell cheap, he is with us for the long haul and people of my age, having supported since my first Hillsborough match in 1955, will probably not live to see our club back in the top division. 

However, on GM in particular, the results to Christmas and our league position flattered to deceive and anyone who attended matches regularly knows that. What happened in 2020 was a shambles with perhaps the only real bright spot beating Leeds at their ground. We all know something kicked off in the dressing room but I haven’t seen anyone who is really in the know. Clearly GM didn’t handle it and the team appeared to stop playing for him (or us). So a new manager isn’t going to solve many of the deep seated problems but might just give us a chance of something better on the pitch. I would prefer to change now rather than wait for a panic change at Christmas. 

in the early 2000s, when many supporters were clamouring for a rich man to buy the club, there was the chance of another way - before the days of Sheard and Mandaric. It involved local businessman and supporters buying into a share issue which would have solved our immediate financial issues and allow us to build. True we wouldn’t have had millions to splash(waste?), on star players or even a Desso pitch but we would have had a new board, a club still owned and run by local people, a day in what happens and we would have been honest (do you feel our club is honest now?). The proposal was not met with much enthusiasm by supporters. There was a myth at the time that most existing shareholders were “lost” and a feeling against the concept of share ownership. Many said at the time that  they had already put enough money in by buying tickets and not interested in spending any more. Seeing where we are now, I doubt it could have been any worse and we would still have our club. What has happened is a story which will probably become a TV documentary on how to get everything wrong. 

Unfortunately, we can chat as much as we like. The truth is that we have NO SAY in what happens. The club is a business owned by one person and he will do as he pleases and we can choose to pay and go or not. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

I'm hoping GM can create his own squad and be better than what we've watched since Xmas. He inherited the players that let us down, just like the manager in the op. He didn't get a pre season with those players, just like the manager in the op. He is, in effect, a new manager coming in because the decks have been cleared a bit and we need to rebuild. He's got an advantage over a new manager because he's seen who is up to the job and the fight and who isn't. He's seen who can work and play his way and who can't. He will have players identified to work with him. We have scouts etc that will have been looking for players under his instructions. Players who have certain attributes and qualities. A new manager has 6 weeks to do it, Gary Monk has had longer. I honestly don't think a new manager would be the magic wand many hope for. 

I'm afraid I don't share your confidence in Monks's player recruitment abilities.

Remember what Monk said when he signed Da Cruz.

“Alessio is a player I know well through contacts. He fits the profile that we need. He is young, athletic, quick and we don't have that option in the squad. He comes with a hunger and a desire. Those are the type of players you need when you are recruiting. We are delighted he is in the building. He is something that we have not got.”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

“He fits the profile that we need. He is young, athletic, quick and we don't have that option in the squad. He comes with a hunger and a desire. Those are the type of players you need when you are recruiting”

Do you think a new manager (whoever he is) would say any different to the above?

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I'm afraid I don't share your confidence in Monks's player recruitment abilities.

“Alessio is a player I know well through contacts. He fits the profile that we need. He is young, athletic, quick and we don't have that option in the squad. He comes with a hunger and a desire. Those are the type of players you need when you are recruiting. We are delighted he is in the building. He is something that we have not got.”

Isnt this what everyone was raving about that Dele Bashiru had.

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

What Manager hasnt had 'duds' amongst the 'gems'?...look who cant get into Arsenals team,despite his alleged 750,000 per week wages?...IN Monks time,he has found some decent players,and if it was the Players who got us to third,in the Championship, & Monks coaching,than it was same said Players who should be held at least 50% responsible for the collapse.(as well as Monk,who it seems has to carry the can)

Personally,I think the Manager worked wonders to keep us in the Division,let alone a promotion push(never once mentioned to my knowledge,except by me...Monk kept us in the Championship...allowed us time to refocus,re organise, and go again.he has the most experience of ANY Manager in the League now,of dealing with such.) kept Birmingham up,harvested enough points to keep us UP,and Now we need a Manager with enough sand to do it again.

I dont believe the players were allegedly mentally tough enough to want to win games,and push for promotion,(with a points deduction pending)and i honestly dont think that situation was created by Monk.He only had to deal with it,and Players unmotivated by their contracts ending,and realising allegedly that their s6 gravy train was coming to an end....

I believe Monk will come good this season...if he doesnt,we still go on...but please,stop the Monk is...etc Its time now to get behind the manager,his players,at least until we see different.Jos was right in my view,many wednesday fans living in a 'Glorious' many never saw....how many years is it now since our relegation from Div 1?..Some teams in the Premier League in our time,have Never left it,others have built squads and achieved promotion...our City rivals have been their twice,in that time.....but Wednesday??..Basham just been given a new contract,been with the Blades 6 Years & 3 Divisions,such players do exist,can be brought on,and coached to be better,more affordable players.

THAT should be our way forward,and its probably a 5 Year plan,

In any properly run football club then Monk should have been gone last Thursday morning and a new man waiting in the wings ready to go with a plan ready to implement for an 8 week transformation of the squad.

However we are not a properly run club with the wrong decision made on almost every vital call over the last few years.

I despair for where the club is right now and can only see it getting much much worse under the current leadership (both in the boardroom and the dressing room).

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

It is bad enough having one leg tied down by a points deduction but a hopeless sceanario to have the other leg tied down by having the uninspiring, tactically inept and dodgy Monk as your manager.

I ask this to every one who posts such,show me your posts from before Xmas,where you thought that?When we third,and challenging for one of the 2 automatic promotion places. If you cant,or wont..i cant give any credibility to your post...Wheres your critique of the Players?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
16 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Garry Monk inherited players - they're not his players

Garry Monk didn't get a pre-season with the full squad

Garry Monk didn't get his own management structure

What you've said above basically screams out that Garry Monk has been totally screwed over and should be given the three above points!

Thank you for your opinion Mrs Monk!

I like Monk's system of 3 5 2  but he's not got the players that are good enough to play it. 

For starters Our 3 center backs of Lees Iorfa Borner have odd good game but don't have enough pace, Iorfa is best of 3 though he's got odd mistake in him most games. 

If Palmer plays in back 3 we're even worst. 

Midfield is where we really struggle even when we've got 5 in there, Hunt shows potential but apart from Bannan I don't think Pelupessy and Luongo are up to it, out wide Harris isn't consistent enough though he does give 100% every game, Murphy is by far our biggest threat going forward so if he's not re-signed he's going to take some replacing unless the ever disappointing Reach rediscovers the potential he showed when he first arrived. 

Up front we need a complete change bringing in players with strength and pace. 

Whether we stick with Monk or not this needs doing. 

I've a feeling Monk will be replaced very soon and club will take a fresh approach on next appointment. 

Edited by bradowl
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Starting next season on -12 points will put off any established Championship manager from considering the Wednesday manager job.

We’re a poisoned chalice right now.  We need to get this idea that decent coaches are queuing up to manage us, out of our heads.

Even if Garry Monk resigns tomorrow (hardly impossible, Monk might want to avoid having a relegation on his CV), the likes of Paul Cook, Danny Crowley, Nigel Pearson, Pep Clotet, Mick McCarthy, Lee Johnson, Tony Pulis, etc will not want to touch us for the foreseeable future.

Dark days for us right now.

Yeah but at least it's better than than the days of Milan.... apparently according to some.

• Like 2

People talking about monk leaving are strange. 

This job has become a perfect job for him. 

Next season he can't lose. He either guides the team to safety against the odds - hero

Or we get relegated - expected given the -12

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, slinger208b said:

Or it would disguise the fact the manager has failed...

Course he has...YAWN....only kept the Club from being relegated,and playing in Div 1 next season...all this without his own back room staff,not able to bring in his own players,hamstrung by FFP,A points deduction hanging over the Team,and (presumably) allegedly effecting the players.

Numerous alleged player bad attitudes,'loss of form' 'injurys'....Players refusing to sign temporary contracts till the end of season,apart from that and OH a Covid 19 enforced 'lay off'.....He has had it easy eh? Not to mention our lucky last Mr Chansiri & his team of 'advisors' what could possibly have gone wrong eh?...

8 minutes ago, parajack said:

Course he has...YAWN....only kept the Club from being relegated,and playing in Div 1 next season...all this without his own back room staff,not able to bring in his own players,hamstrung by FFP,A points deduction hanging over the Team,and (presumably) allegedly effecting the players.

Numerous alleged player bad attitudes,'loss of form' 'injurys'....Players refusing to sign temporary contracts till the end of season,apart from that and OH a Covid 19 enforced 'lay off'.....He has had it easy eh? Not to mention our lucky last Mr Chansiri & his team of 'advisors' what could possibly have gone wrong eh?...

Who?

How do you know so much about a manager that hasn't been appointed?

Another example of taking a reply out of context by not reading the OP just to drive an agenda...

Edited by slinger208b

17 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Garry Monk inherited players - they're not his players

Garry Monk didn't get a pre-season with the full squad

Garry Monk didn't get his own management structure

What you've said above basically screams out that Garry Monk has been totally screwed over and should be given the three above points!

Don't forget, Monk hasn't had the 'free hit' that was mentioned