Why a new manager is a must and why that would work

29 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Garry Monk inherited players - they're not his players

Garry Monk didn't get a pre-season with the full squad

Garry Monk didn't get his own management structure

What you've said above basically screams out that Garry Monk has been totally screwed over and should be given the three above points!

But sadly, as he has got to know the players, work with them and try to improve their skills, the team has steadily got worse and worse. The end of the season, admittedly without spectators, has been a disaster. I am afraid very few, either players or supporters, have confidence in him any more so we have to have a change. Please Mr C, get a football person to advise you. Howard Wilkinson is a VP of our club-ask him to help. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ronio said:

A new manager is a must.

In the future we will look back at this moment and think there was a golden chance to change the direction the club is heading in.

Nothing will change, sadly.  

It is a great opportunity for the club to change how it does things. The owner has lost the fans and choosing a decent manager in charge of their own recruitment would be a positive for him and us, but sadly I agree with you, I just can't see it happening

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Garry Monk inherited players - they're not his players

Garry Monk didn't get a pre-season with the full squad

Garry Monk didn't get his own management structure

What you've said above basically screams out that Garry Monk has been totally screwed over and should be given the three above points!

Exactly. As I was reading it I was thinking take out the name Pearson and replace it with Monk and it all still fits.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TINGLE75 said:

It is a great opportunity for the club to change how it does things. The owner has lost the fans and choosing a decent manager in charge of their own recruitment would be a positive for him and us, but sadly I agree with you, I just can't see it happening

Absolutely.  

The club needs to head in a different direction as in now.  

Those backing Monk, will just be getting the same structure behind it as in Paxo as head of recruitment and Monk managing the team.

Or we can get a new manager in who will have charge of the transfers.. Take your pick.  

I know what I would go for.  

DC will have to be seen to be doing something behind the scenes.  This mess can't keep going on as it has been.

Something has to give, something needs to change.  If DC is too stubborn to address these problems, he won't have many supporters left who back him.  

No excuses for Monk if he can't pick up results before Christmas. I wouldn't be surprised regardless of a points deduction and off the field issues, that we'll be looking for a new manager around Christmas.

Hopefully a younger side with little to lose and little hope, can pick up results next season to give us a chance of staying up and/or building for the future. And hopefully Chansiri, the squad and Monk will have learned harsh lessons from numerous mistakes.

We have very little of anything going for us at present, now is the time to show some leadership and to plan for the future, hopefully things will get better somehow but I have little belief in Chansiri, Monk or our squad. Hoping to be proved wrong and to see some smiles again on our long suffering fans, who deserve so much better than this nightmarish long running shambles. 

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Exactly. As I was reading it I was thinking take out the name Pearson and replace it with Monk and it all still fits.

I'm afraid that monk is just not good enough sadly.  Bizarre formations, bizarre player positions, even more bizarre tactics and don't start me in the bizarre tactical substitutions.  Notwithstanding man management and getting the players to play decent football or having mental strength or physical strength in games for thT matter. 

No, sorry.  Not buying it.  Monk is not good enough for us.  Change required and a good manager is a must. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, swinners said:

I'm afraid that monk is just not good enough sadly.  Bizarre formations, bizarre player positions, even more bizarre tactics and don't start me in the bizarre tactical substitutions.  Notwithstanding man management and getting the players to play decent football or having mental strength or physical strength in games for thT matter. 

No, sorry.  Not buying it.  Monk is not good enough for us.  Change required and a good manager is a must. 

He will get till at least xmas whether some want him to or not.  Let's give him all the opportunities you are affording Pearson. Especially the pre season and own players bit and see how he gets on. If we still ain't got anywhere near out of the relegation zone  by xmas then move him on. But he needs the chance to give it a proper go. 

I ain't no massive Monk fan or anything I just think he needs to be given a fair chance to get things right. If Chansiri decides to sack him tomorrow, I ain't going to be crying over it and wishing him back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Night-Owl said:

No excuses for Monk if he can't pick up results before Christmas. I wouldn't be surprised regardless of a points deduction and off the field issues, that we'll be looking for a new manager around Christmas.

I don't think we could afford to wait until Christmas to act if there hasn't been a major upturn in form and results by then.

By the end of November we'll have played around 12 matches and if our points total isn't at least in the positive something will need to be done before it's too late.

3 hours ago, swinners said:

A new manager who is appointed early is, in my opinion, a must. 

Here's why I think it would work.  

A top manager (let's say Pearson) is needed to come in and recruit well.  How many times have we heard a manager say "this squad is inherited and they are not my players" early manger appointment would avoid this. 

How many times have we heard "I needed a pre-season with the full squad and then things will be better" Early recruitment is needed to avoid this. 

A new manager would get at least the first season as a virtual 'free hit'.  If we struggled or went down it would be that a 12 point (hopefully less on appeal) deduction was root cause and now the new manager has has a year with the squad it is time to build upon that.  If we come mid table or even (dare to think) do well and push for play offs the man would quickly become a legend.  

In my opinion a new manager would get this transfer window, the winter one and at least the next summer one to build his squad and this could bring us the success we need to build and go forward.   If Monk stays (again, in my opinion), recruitment wouldn't be of enough quality, tactics would be poor bringing around a sacking in November / December.  A new manager would then say "these aren't my players, we need time and of course a preseason with the squad to make this better". 

I believe that Chansiri needs to act just like if it was a business (a failing business with lots of vacancies need key and quality personal to get that business going again).  Our key personnel are obviously quality players, but the number one key personal is without a doubt the manager and we need a good one and fast. I don't subscribe to "we can't pull a decent manager" theme.  Money talks and one would come if the terms were right, especially if the above is right.. A free season to work with (hopefully a good one) and building opportunities to embed a playing philosophy (hopefully, free flowing and entertaining) knowing they had time on their side.  A perfect opportunity for a top, top manager.  

Come on Chansiri, make it so. 

You’re really not considering the 5h1t in the 5h1t sandwich here. We’re not that attractive proposition that we were 5 years ago. What manager better than Monk is going to come to us this season? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I don't think we could afford to wait until Christmas to act if there hasn't been a major upturn in form and results by then.

By the end of November we'll have played around 12 matches and if our points total isn't at least in the positive something will need to be done before it's too late.

I see your point, personally I would have got rid of him last season, even before the season was halted. Results and performances after Christmas were atrocious. Hope to be proved wrong but can't see Monk lasting the season, if he does, then hopefully that means lessons were learned and we somehow stay up and build for the future. Don't think Monk will be gone before the season starts but think it's likely he will probably go at some point during next season. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aingarth said:

But sadly, as he has got to know the players, work with them and try to improve their skills, the team has steadily got worse and worse. The end of the season, admittedly without spectators, has been a disaster. I am afraid very few, either players or supporters, have confidence in him any more so we have to have a change. Please Mr C, get a football person to advise you. Howard Wilkinson is a VP of our club-ask him to help. 

Why would a 76byear old who has a easy job being chairman of managers association wanna come here 

Also he hasn't had anything to do with this club for 32 years

6 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

No excuses for Monk if he can't pick up results before Christmas.

6 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

We have very little of anything going for us at present, now is the time to show some leadership and to plan for the future, hopefully things will get better somehow but I have little belief in Chansiri, Monk or our squad. Hoping to be proved wrong and to see some smiles again on our long suffering fans, who deserve so much better than this nightmarish long running shambles. 

In fairness, those two statements completely contradict each other.

Right now there are LOADS of reasons why Monk could struggle to get results in the next few months.

I predict that Monk will leave SWFC within the next 12 months.  He will either by fired (personally I think that should have happened months ago) or he will walk (as the club is a shambles and Monk has got a reputation/CV to protect).

And when Monk does leave, I'm sure he will point to the off-the-field instability and the lack of backing by DC as the reasons why it didn't work out for him here.

Can't help but think it's too late now. Only a few weeks until the season starts so we're in danger of getting someone in after some of the better potentials have been snapped up and no time to recruit /work with the squad ahead of the season starting, by which time we have a bad start and the season is over by October! 

If - and it is a big if - Chansiri was mulling the idea over, I don't see why -12 would put a manager off and instead opt for, say, Bournemouth. 

At Bournemouth there is going to be high expectations for an immediate promotion, losing star players to Premier League outfits, and being in Eddie Howe's shadow.

Here, the -12 gives them a free hit and a ready made excuse if we end up in the bottom free. Maybe my expectations are too low, but I would take 4th bottom as a good season right now. Plus I can't imagine there being much in the way of expectation to get big name players owing to our financial restrictions.

Go up with Bournemouth and it was expected, Eddie Howe did it, etc. Achievements would be tempered.

Stay up with us, or (crazy now) finish mid table, and you're some sort of managerial wizard.

10 hours ago, Ronio said:

Absolutely.  

The club needs to head in a different direction as in now.  

Those backing Monk, will just be getting the same structure behind it as in Paxo as head of recruitment and Monk managing the team.

Or we can get a new manager in who will have charge of the transfers.. Take your pick.  

I know what I would go for.  

DC will have to be seen to be doing something behind the scenes.  This mess can't keep going on as it has been.

Something has to give, something needs to change.  If DC is too stubborn to address these problems, he won't have many supporters left who back him.  

Are you suggesting that a new manager would overrule Paxo?

That's not how it works.