Carlos - Good luck

11 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Hate those relegation squads that finish  8 points above the relegation zone

Fudge, do you honestly think we would have stayed up if there had been another six games, hypothetical I know, because I don’t. Our form from Christmas was definitely relegation form. My big worry is that form will continue when next season starts. 

1 minute ago, Plonk said:

Fudge, do you honestly think we would have stayed up if there had been another six games, hypothetical I know, because I don’t. Our form from Christmas was definitely relegation form. My big worry is that form will continue when next season starts. 

It doesn't matter over the season we had enough points to stay up. 

I want Monk gone now too, after feeling he needed more time, but it's the same thing time and time again. But to label him as turning us into a relegation team is plain wrong. The form was abysmal but like him or lump him the fact is he also got is 3rd in the table in December 

57 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Carlos's legacy is a club wracked by overspending and in a financial abyss. So yes I tend to agree.

I'm not sure Carlos had any say on wages and transfer fees.

I'd have him back.

A much better wardrobe than Monk, plus, now he's had his hair replanted, cuts a dashing figure.

1 hour ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Our previous head coach that allowed players to come and go as they wish, played unfit players and bottled the big games. Good riddance don't darken our door again.

I suppose it beats bottling all games. 

Don’t particularly want him back but if it was a case of Carlos or Monk then definitely 

Edited by BIG D
  • Like 1

Guest Timothy Fields
1 hour ago, Plonk said:

Wouldnt want him back, don’t wish him ill and good luck to him.

But I really don’t understand this Monk is clearing up Carlos’ mess argument. 

I knew he left a mess behind, but there have been two managers in between. If it’s supposedly “ the same squad” well CC took that squad to two top six finishes. Jo’s turned it into a relegation side, Bruce. Got it going again, and might have made it a third top six finish ( I said might we will n3ver know) and Monk has turned it into a relegation side.

so if it’s the same squad why have two managers done ok and two done crap, and if it’s not then you can’t really still blame Carlos. The real shame is Bruce didn’t hang about long enough to prove the theory. 

👎 Can't neg you any more but here's my thumbs down

42 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

Mentioning him along side Charlton, Wilko and Atkinson is a massive insult to those names. 

He wasn’t even close in any way to those three. 

To be honest, he was pretty close. If we’d have won at Wembley, how different would have things turned out.  

Im not saying he was as good of those names, but I’m picking out names over the last 40 years that have had 1-2 seasons where the fans have liked the manager and we’ve generally won more than lost.  There’s not many. 

I didn’t include Francis, as he was as dull as a dish cloth. 

43 minutes ago, poite said:

The club is in a completely different place now to what it was when Carlos was here. 

I remember both the good and bad times under Carlos and don't have anything personal against him. 

But in my opinion he is nowhere near the type of manager we need right now who could get this team back fighting at the right end of the table. 

If we get out of this mess with the EFL without to much damage and we're able to recruit properly we should be banging on Paul Cooks door immediately

I'd agree with all this.

You need a guy who can pick up some lower league gems etc., and get them playing as a unit.

I couldn't see a Carlos walking into the current situation and making much impact tbh.

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Timothy Fields said:

👎 Can't neg you any more but here's my thumbs down

Thanks, but I would rather hear your views on why you think I’m wrong? Thought this forum was for discussion. Or maybe you simply can’t so revert to that sort of silliness. What does negging mean?

1 hour ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Carlos's legacy is a club wracked by overspending and in a financial abyss. So yes I tend to agree.

Such a strange view this one. Does anyone really believe that Carlos was the architect of our transfer strategy at the time?

Our strategy of bringing in older, proven players to try and secure promotion as quickly as possible was clearly taken higher up the food chain.

Even then we had many players under him we could have sold for decent money and reinvested in the team. The likes of FF, Reach and Bannan would all have fetched good money. The reason we didnt do that again had nothing to do with Carlos.

To argue that a manager is at fault for the financial mismanagement of a club is frankly ludicrous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spondon Owl said:

Just wanted to wish Carlos and his Rio Ave team good luck for their crunch match tonight with Boavista. Europe beckons if they can better Famalicaos result with Maritimo. 

Would people take Carlos over Monk? Even despite Neil's constant repetition that he ruined the club and poor old Monk is having to tidy everything up for him.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. A one season wonder where ever he has been, hence the number of jobs he has had.

Just a blood sucker, ruining other peoples teams.

1 hour ago, steelowl said:

Carlos as a life long wannabe Swansea manager did ok, went very close  but IMO those first 2 years we really should have been promoted.  I may be on my own thinking this but the standard of the championship was/ is rubbish the hard bit to get out is consistency it needs a fit organised and motivated squad 

That scruffy lot down the road showed you can do it with average standard players 

Did I like him yes - would i have him back no,  he ruined a few players and the club medical dept

would I sack Monk yes and I'm sorry to say the entire backroom staff we need to freshen the place up 

who would I get in ?

well therein lies the upstairs problem, who will work effectively under this ownership and attendant 'fabric' ?

Don't talk sense onhere Tim it's a mortal sin mate   lol 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I'd agree with all this.

You need a guy who can pick up some lower league gems etc., and get them playing as a unit.

I couldn't see a Carlos walking into the current situation and making much impact tbh.

selection by consistently 100% effort and importantly character  ability to  pass a ball more than 5 yds would be a plus from where we are 

• Like 1

Guest Therealrealist

How mant other managers have fought off attackers outside their house..then led a team into europe?

1 minute ago, Therealrealist said:

How mant other managers have fought off attackers outside their house..then led a team into europe?

Tbf, Chris Turner wanted to take us into Europe.

8 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

It was the overall transfer policy that was flawed and short termist and he was an integral part of that. Someone like Atkinson would have bombed FF out and squeezed the maximum out of whichever club tapped him up  for example IMO.

He does have a certain charisma though but no way would I want him back 

Atkinson wouldn't have, because the owner simply wouldnt have allowed him to.

It was the owner that said FF wasn't going anywhere. "We will not be selling our best players", he said after the inicident.

Guest Therealrealist
5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Tbf, Chris Turner wanted to take us into Europe.

But he didnt..and i cant remember him fighting off bandits on his property