Carlos - Good luck

1 hour ago, Carbone said:

Do you think we’d have set up in the same way if half our squad wasn’t injured?

I'm sure Carlos could have convinced someone to actually have a shot against their young reserve keeper in the away leg. Anyone, someone. Just an attempt. It might have negated their own goal and need for pens at Hillsborough. 

6 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

I'm sure Carlos could have convinced someone to actually have a shot against their young reserve keeper in the away leg. Anyone, someone. Just an attempt. It might have negated their own goal and need for pens at Hillsborough. 

He bottled it went for penalties and failed

3 hours ago, Carbone said:

Do you think we’d have set up in the same way if half our squad wasn’t injured?

We'd won game after game prior to the first semi.

Then bad luck struck, in the shape of Hooper's injury.

"The great leveller", dismal Dom Howson called it.

With Hooper we could play defensively and create chances, without him we never looked like scoring playing that way.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BRADDO said:

Well done Carlos. I'll still never forgive you though for the set up against a very average huddersfield over two legs.

They can't have been that average, cos they stayed up for two seasons.

What gives us any divine right to beat Huddersfield anyway?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Which season?

When we finished 6th and went to Wembley or when we finished fourth?

We need another con artist if that's what can be achieved.  

Like we need a hole in the head.

What we need is another honest man, like 'sir' jack Charlton.

He had a task to do, he was given the time to do it and the resources most can only dream of.

He had absolutely everything he could have wished for and by the end of it, he left us in 15th place still in the second tier of English football.

Nice day trip to Wembley though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Like we need a hole in the head.

What we need is another honest man, like 'sir' jack Charlton.

What we need is someone who can bring us some sort of success regardless

I read the cliche constantly that we need someone who can become our "Wilder".

He is as far from an honest man that i can think of, although 'successful'. (until next season looking at their finish).

8 minutes ago, Manwë said:

He had a task to do, he was given the time to do it and the resources most can only dream of.

He had absolutely everything he could have wished for and by the end of it, he left us in 15th place still in the second tier of English football.

Nice day trip to Wembley though.

This is rapidly becoming THE Owlstalk default response to ANY discussion regarding our recent history.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

This is rapidly becoming THE Owlstalk default response to ANY discussion regarding our recent history.

You have to accept that everything that is wrong on the pitch is down to Carlos Carvalhal. That is still the case 31 months after he left and will be the case until such time as the club manages to reach the Championship play-offs again, as we did twice in 2 and a half seasons under him.

19 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You have to accept that everything that is wrong on the pitch is down to Carlos Carvalhal. That is still the case 31 months after he left and will be the case until such time as the club manages to reach the Championship play-offs again, as we did twice in 2 and a half seasons under him.

Part of the problem at SWFC is that we think reaching the playoffs is an acheivementment (Carlos would like that word - acheivement)

lol

For the money spent, CC should have won the league.

Instead we got this:

image.png.2f8b5def795f7d0fd84d914bd6bd6d2c.png

And that £20 note meltdown FFS. Why buy Jordan Rhodes and tell him he can't play football?? Karanka had alredy played that card with Rhodes, and Calros thought he could double down on it. Althought its now clear CC was right all along, JR is still worth £20.

I have an idea, lets sack Monk and bring in Karanka so he can tell Rhodes he doesn't know how to play football.... still.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Part of the problem at SWFC is that we think reaching the playoffs is an acheivementment (Carlos would like that word - acheivement)

lol

For the money spent, CC should have won the league.

Instead we got this:

image.png.2f8b5def795f7d0fd84d914bd6bd6d2c.png

And that £20 note meltdown FFS. Why buy Jordan Rhodes and tell him he can't play football?? Karanka had alredy played that card with Rhodes, and Calros thought he could double down on it. Althought its now clear CC was right all along, JR is still worth £20.

I have an idea, lets sack Monk and bring in Karanka so he can tell Rhodes he doesn't know how to play football.... still.

Carlos got us to 6th and 4th when our budget was around 10th and 8th in the division. Which season do you think he should have won the league in? His first season in English football when most of our fans didn't expect us to finish in the top 6 or his 2nd season when Newcastle had one of the most experienced managers ever to manager at this level and spent £140M in that 1 season alone? 

Ultimately he failed in the aim of the club at the time and the Huddersfield semi-final was hugely disappointing but can't tell me Monk would have done or is doing a better job, relatively speaking.

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Carlos got us to 6th and 4th when our budget was around 10th and 8th in the division. Which season do you think he should have won the league in? His first season in English football when most of our fans didn't expect us to finish in the top 6 or his 2nd season when Newcastle had one of the most experienced managers ever to manager at this level and spent £140M in that 1 season alone? 

Ultimately he failed in the aim of the club at the time and the Huddersfield semi-final was hugely disappointing but can't tell me Monk would have done or is doing a better job, relatively speaking.

I am no fan of either Monk or CC. Monk detonated our season over Christmas, but its fair to say, the contracts time bomb had already been set by CC, Paxam and DC by signing players who were looking for one last pay day.

The amound of money spent should have been an investment in the future of SWFC. It wasn't an investment, it was a gamblers meltdown.

Abdi, Boyd, Van Aken, Rhodes, David Jones, Mattias, Urby Vitorrio Diego Emanuelson - All signed by CC and flattered to deceive.

51 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

I am no fan of either Monk or CC. Monk detonated our season over Christmas, but its fair to say, the contracts time bomb had already been set by CC, Paxam and DC by signing players who were looking for one last pay day.

The amound of money spent should have been an investment in the future of SWFC. It wasn't an investment, it was a gamblers meltdown.

Abdi, Boyd, Van Aken, Rhodes, David Jones, Mattias, Urby Vitorrio Diego Emanuelson - All signed by CC and flattered to deceive.

Fair enough. I agree the money spent on players we didn't need has set us back big time but I am not sure I wold lay too much of that blame at Carlos' door. Time and time again people state that our transfer decisions are not made by the managers and the length of contracts and salaries are certainly not decisions taken by any of our managers. 

I thought David Jones did OK for a time but there were probably younger prospects we should have been considering who could have done a more effective job and had a resale value. Mattias was a reasonable gamble at the time. 

Every other one of the players you list were players we didn't need and there were other areas the team could have been improved in. I don't think for one minute that Carlos told the owner and whoever was on the 'transfer committee' at the time to go out and buy Emanuelson - he never looked like having any intention of using him regularly - and I don't think he was the only player this applies to.