Carlos - Good luck

It was more fun that first season watching us lose than watching us win under previous managers.

Could not wait till the next game, been a while since we said that.

Sadly the correlation between wages and league finish is great, despite us spending what seemed ( is) fortunes plenty of others spent more.

Despite our owner being wealthy if you go thru the owners league he's proper midtable,think Preston's owner is near a billionaire .

2 minutes ago, Frazzlebeak said:

That's because he was. He's gone, say goodbye. He tried he failed. Next.

The thread is titled Carlos- Good Luck.

I'm wishing him luck though I guess he can do OK without it.

He didn't fail.  He improved our squad.   Didn't take Luhukay long to destroy it.

49 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

Under CC, Rio Ave won 2-0 at Boavista and have achieved their highest position in their entire history.

Under him we achieved our highest position for 16 years, and then bettered it the season after.

And yet folk on here still call him a clown and fraud, apparently because we only drew with tinpot Huddersfield. 

The more thoughtful of us would avoid the emotive language while still questioning his record.

He was the best funded SWFC manager in living memory. He had the best opportunity in a generation to return us to the Premiership. And he flunked it.

That's not just about one game. Those things happen. Someone had to lose and it was us. That's forgivable. The criticism is that having fallen short, he was unable to finish the job. He was unable to identify the shortcomings in the squad and make appropriate recruitment to correct them. In fact we started to go backwards as those shortcomings became more self evident.

Some people define Carlos by his achievement in reaching the play-offs in successive seasons. Others define him by his failure each time. Personally, I define him by his inability to take a squad and progressively improve it, season by season, in a sustainable manner, despite having the resources to do so.

4 hours ago, Andrew6666 said:

Could you enlighten us to who his first choices were, seen as you know?

I would be interested to hear who he wanted and which players were 4th choice.

For his second season I know we tried to sign 

Kevin McDonald
Scott Malone 
Lewis Dunk

Conor Hourihane (he was actually at our training ground but Barnsley pulled the plug after their fans kicked off about Winnall)

22 minutes ago, Carbone said:

Kevin McDonald
Scott Malone 
Lewis Dunk

Conor Hourihane (he was actually at our training ground but Barnsley pulled the plug after their fans kicked off about Winnall)

Dunk seems a good player, wonder if he was one of the 400 defenders we looked at pre Van Aken. Hourihane was a loss for us, very good midfielder. Thanks for posting.

4 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

And yet folk on here still call him a clown and fraud, apparently because we only drew with tinpot Huddersfield. =

Yes.

Yes. That's it

It was ONLY because of the draw with Huddersfield and nothing else at all

Yes that's it 

That's exactly it

Nothing else

facepalm.png

Owlstalk Shop

5 hours ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Just a quick question.

What did we achieve with Carlos ? I'm not talking about hypothetical placement in the league etc.

What real success did we have ?

Easy answer that one - NONE

Honours and Success are black and white. You win, or lose. That's what football is about.

It is not a game of " everyone's a winner " Let's be pleased for a place higher this year.

So you’re basically saying that because we didn’t win at Wembley or get promotion the following year, it was all a complete failure.

In that case, all the Prem apart from maybe 3 or 4 clubs may as well pack it in. 

All their managers are failures & should be sacked.

Any Champ team who doesn’t get promotion are failures whose managers should be sacked & forever slagged by their respective fans.

My point that seems to have flown over your head is that CC was just another manager who didn’t quite make it, just like all the others that year that didn’t make it. Some with a lot more to spend, some with less.

That applies to just about every manager, every team in the division & doesn’t make CC a hero, but as with all the others who don’t achieve their aims, doesn’t make them pariahs either.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Carbone said:

Kevin McDonald
Scott Malone 
Lewis Dunk

We also tried to sign Chris Wood from Leeds. 

5 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

So you’re basically saying that because we didn’t win at Wembley or get promotion the following year, it was all a complete failure.

In that case, all the Prem apart from maybe 3 or 4 clubs may as well pack it in. 

All their managers are failures & should be sacked.

Any Champ team who doesn’t get promotion are failures whose managers should be sacked & forever slagged by their respective fans.

My point that seems to have flown over your head is that CC was just another manager who didn’t quite make it, just like all the others that year that didn’t make it. Some with a lot more to spend, some with less.

That applies to just about every manager, every team in the division & doesn’t make CC a hero, but as with all the others who don’t achieve their aims, doesn’t make them pariahs either.

You seem awfully uptight about this. Did I utter the words pariah, did I say that all Prem managers should be sacked? 

You seen to convienantly forget the state that Carlos's own vanity project left US in. 

I don't care about other teams. I don't care about the premiership. This is about Carlos. And he left the club in an absolute shitstorm. 

And yes Carlos failed on multiple levels. 

Carlos was l largely a victim of the chairman's remit. DC wanted promotion ASAP at any cost. He spent big and quicky on largely established expensive players with no resell value. I can't blame Carlos for the recruitment, just individual performances in critical games.

The Brighton game for me in the playoffs had a huge effect on his style of play.

Left Rio Ave for 3rd place Braga. His hometown club who sacked him after a handful of games when he was starting out.

Obviously they’ll be a degree of unfinished business, but you can’t help but feel for Rio Ave. 

Guest Therealrealist
7 hours ago, NeonLeon said:

Left Rio Ave for 3rd place Braga. His hometown club who sacked him after a handful of games when he was starting out.

Obviously they’ll be a degree of unfinished business, but you can’t help but feel for Rio Ave. 

Maybe we cud offer them monk

On 27/07/2020 at 18:00, bigthinrob said:

I thought you'd gone all reasonable then mate.

Then it all went sort of,      well,       sort of contradictory.

Doesn't exactly smack of "Seeing both sides" to be fair.  🙂

my post pointed out what carlos was bad at, and then good at.

looking at it from 'both sides'.