Carlos - Good luck

Guest Timothy Fields
44 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Thanks, but I would rather hear your views on why you think I’m wrong? Thought this forum was for discussion. Or maybe you simply can’t so revert to that sort of silliness. What does negging mean?

Sorry I only wanted to disagree with your opinion. OK I preferred Carlos to Gary because he was passionate before during and after games. His interviews were always entertaining, he did good in his first 2 seasons because Chansiri was getting him the players he needed, we were close only to not turn up v Hull City, maybe a touch more effort from the players would have won us the game, because they were  there for the taking, not necessarily his fault, but players he had plus the 30000+ Owls fan there, would have been enough to motivate anybody. V Huddersfield we should have won the game away easily, but it wasn't to be. Don't know what happened in season 3. But coming to Monk he doesn't show any passion, and it's no surprise that players refused to extend their contracts, I like him, but there again I wish he was somewhere else. I would love a manager who had or has a connection with the club, ie Sheridan, Pearson, or even Neil Warnock people with a strong backbone and character who understand our fans and has our dreams, that's all I wanted to say, we need our Wednesday back, players who want to be here rather than the money on offer

Edited by Timothy Fields
Typo error

Has anyone watched Portuguese Football? 

I have.

It’s not a great standard. It’s similar to the Scottish League in that there are 2-3 good sides and the rest are nothing like the same standard, also rans. The quality of the league is on a par with the Championship  / League 1.

Carlos didn’t have a clue after that first season. It was only slight momentum from his first season that made us finish in the playoffs. Every home game in season 2 was dire to watch and we never got going until the 60 minute mark or until we went behind. That’s not good management.

1 hour ago, steelowl said:

selection by consistently 100% effort and importantly character  ability to  pass a ball more than 5 yds would be a plus from where we are 

Well we passed the ball more than 5yd's on Wednesday night, unfortunately it was tp a Middlesbro player each time.

Carlos started so well here, but tried to sign his way out of a hole (with backing of Chansiri). 

IF Carvalhal has learned from the mistakes of the latter half of his stay here, I'd have him back.

He seems to be doing well on a small budget atm 

47 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

The notion that he had no say in comings and goings I just don't buy. 

The whole transfer policy both incomings and outgoings was flawed IMO and he was a key part of that. 

Whether he had a say on signings or not is irrelevant. 

It is the overall strategy that is important and that was set by DC and not Carlos. 

4 hours ago, Spondon Owl said:

Just wanted to wish Carlos and his Rio Ave team good luck for their crunch match tonight with Boavista. Europe beckons if they can better Famalicaos result with Maritimo. 

Would people take Carlos over Monk? Even despite Neil's constant repetition that he ruined the club and poor old Monk is having to tidy everything up for him.

Yes.

3 hours ago, bigdan2003 said:

I’m not defending Monk here, but to be fair to him a lot of the sh*t he’s inherited is a legacy from Carlos’ time here. 

Luongo, Iorfa, Borner, odubajo, Murphy

Thats almost half a squad who have for the majority played the full season 

Then factor in the loanees - Da Cruz, Wickham, Windass 

Not really much inherited from Carlos there 

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

Luongo, Iorfa, Borner, odubajo, Murphy

Thats almost half a squad who have for the majority played the full season 

Then factor in the loanees - Da Cruz, Wickham, Windass 

Not really much inherited from Carlos there 

I was thinking more like two failed attempts at promotion, the millions spent and the poor decisions made that’s ultimately lead to Monk inheriting a bit of a nightmare really. Not all Carlos’ fault of course. 

Edited by bigdan2003

9 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

I was thinking more like two failed attempts at promotion, the millions spent and the poor decisions made that’s ultimately lead to Monk inheriting a bit of a nightmare really. Not all Carlos’ fault of course. 

Failed attempts happen all the time, doesn’t really dictate the future. Clubs who have failed have come back stronger on many occasions 

The ‘inherited a mess’ notion doesn’t sit with me to the extent that he can’t organise a football team to go out there 

He’s a football manager with roughly 70-80% of a new squad since Carlos left. All the other noise behind the scenes is pretty irrelevant when talking about the playing side 

You’re sat in the dressing room 5 mins before kick off , are you really thinking about anything else but football? 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Has anyone watched Portuguese Football? 

I have.

It’s not a great standard. It’s similar to the Scottish League in that there are 2-3 good sides and the rest are nothing like the same standard, also rans. The quality of the league is on a par with the Championship  / League 1.

what you saying carlos in  if we go down? :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Failed attempts happen all the time, doesn’t really dictate the future. Clubs who have failed have come back stronger on many occasions 

The ‘inherited a mess’ notion doesn’t sit with me to the extent that he can’t organise a football team to go out there 

He’s a football manager with roughly 70-80% of a new squad since Carlos left. All the other noise behind the scenes is pretty irrelevant when talking about the playing side 

You’re sat in the dressing room 5 mins before kick off , are you really thinking about anything else but football? 

I think you make an important point. At the end of the day a manager has a squad of players to work with and off field issues wont really affect the day to day coaching and match prep.

I'm not saying it has no impact at all but the idea that Monk can be excused all responsibility for how crap we are because the club has off field issues isn't particularly convincing.