Paul Cook

6 minutes ago, briggowl said:

DC presumably still thinks we'll get into the premier league next season, without any players and possibly from League 1!!! Can't imagine that he thinks his appointment of Monk is not another excellent decision.

Maybe he thinks that League 1 means the top league.. after all, it is number one 🙈

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

I very much doubt that Chansiri has ever heard of him... this is one of our problems, Chansiri isn’t going to think to himself “ Ryan Lowe has done a cracking job at Argyle, I’ll check him out, and Paul Cook could be just the guy that we need, I’ll call him and have a chat”

He has not got the game within his DNA I’m afraid.

Mind you, I’d be cr•p at running a tuna fishing boat.

Exactly. Chansiris knowledge of football is him sat in the stands with his scarf on hoping the team in blue can score a point. I would be happy if cook was to join but I can’t think of a single reason (other than personal financial Gain) why he or any other manager would. I just hope whoever does come in or if it’s monk we at least try and get some structure at the club, without that any manager will fail.

If Mr Chansiri decides that Monk’s time is up, then I think that Paul Cook, if available, would be a great appointment.

He knows this Division, has a great success rate, appears popular with players and the media and would galvanise the club at a time when it’s most needed.
We will have to be quick though as others clubs will be keen. Middlesbrough come to mind if Warnock leaves.

As I've said before, and I'll say again;

Cook will be absolutely fantastic here, superb, really get us going and playing well, players motivated.

Until he loses a few games, and then we'll start talking about Megson, Carlos, what's Sturrock up to these days?  After four disappointing results, Cook will be the shittest manager we've ever had, out of his depth, Wednesday too big for him, why isn't he playing the left back with 18 broken legs?  a panic hire from Chansiri and Stuffing Boy, and what Wednesday should have gone for is Manager X*.  

*No-one here or anyway suggested or remotely heard of Manager X before the announcement of Cook, but he's won a few games at a Club with no expectations that we'd all struggle to point at on the map.  "Why didn't he go for Manager X before Cook?", it's because "He doesn't know anything about football" , we'll all say to ourselves in our satisfaction that we'd have appointed Manager X before he was even born.

Repeat this shambolic knee-jerk process once a year at least for the next 40 years until we hire someone for a long-term position to solve long-term problems to hopefully bring us long-term success.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The very first thing that needs to happen is the sacking of GM

The second thing will be the appointment of a DoF or similar-type role to take this rudderless clusterf*ck off DC's incapable hands

The third thing is that DoF needs to draw up a shortlist of suitable candidates and interview them. Paul Cook should be one of the highest priority names on that list.

The first point needs to be actioned today. The second needs to be done over the next two weeks. The third needs to be completed within the next four weeks.

Anything less and we are cream crackered. It really is as simple as that. 

Edited by StudentOwl
  • Like 5

Guest LondonOwl313
18 minutes ago, Manwë said:

As I've said before, and I'll say again;

Cook will be absolutely fantastic here, superb, really get us going and playing well, players motivated.

Until he loses a few games, and then we'll start talking about Megson, Carlos, what's Sturrock up to these days?  After four disappointing results, Cook will be the shittest manager we've ever had, out of his depth, Wednesday too big for him, why isn't he playing the left back with 18 broken legs?  a panic hire from Chansiri and Stuffing Boy, and what Wednesday should have gone for is Manager X*.  

*No-one here or anyway suggested or remotely heard of Manager X before the announcement of Cook, but he's won a few games at a Club with no expectations that we'd all struggle to point at on the map.  "Why didn't he go for Manager X before Cook?", it's because "He doesn't know anything about football" , we'll all say to ourselves in our satisfaction that we'd have appointed Manager X before he was even born.

Repeat this shambolic knee-jerk process once a year at least for the next 40 years until we hire someone for a long-term position to solve long-term problems to hopefully bring us long-term success.  

That’s the modern game, you hire and fire managers until you find one that performs.

The long term plan, the infrastructure and recruitment strategy needs to come from boardroom level, with obvious input from the manager on which specific players the manager would like. But the over arching strategy, hopefully signing hungry players of the right age and cost comes from above.

I don’t get the whole ‘we need to give a manager time’ thing. It usually doesn’t work like that, most of the time the most successful managers achieve immediately.. its not like they need to be given 2 years before it’s possible to be successful. Wilder at Utd, Guardiola at City, Klopp at Liverpool, Wenger at Arsenal, Mourinho at pretty much everywhere he’s been, all achieved some satisfactory results immediately, some winning promotions/the league. Some of them built on it and achieved even more but the basics was they at least were steady at worst initially. Even Ferguson at Man Utd finished 2nd in his first full season despite popular opinion that he’s proof you have to give a manager a long period of time.

Any manager we hire that’s going to achieve anything here will perform immediately. Carlos did and so did Bruce. Monk has been dire over 40 games, losing 17 of them. It’s a waste of time giving him more rope to hang himself with because if he had it in him we’d have seen some positives already and we haven’t. Get shut ASAP and give someone else a go

Edited by LondonOwl313

1 hour ago, beswetherick said:

Very impressed by the reaction he got out of the Wigan players after all their off-field troubles. Compare that with the reaction Monk got out of ours 

Just like Monk did at Brum, under similar conditions to here.

Brilliant analysis by LondonOwl313.

It seems so simple to say that those managers who are going to be successful become so quickly whereas bullshitters like Monk get found out quickly.

Oh, I forgeot to mention that SUFC called Manwe in as a football consultant 4 years ago.  His advice was to stick with Adkins as everyone is comfortable half way down League 1 and whatever you do go nowhere near that Wilder guy.

46 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I don’t get the whole ‘we need to give a manager time’ thing. It usually doesn’t work like that, most of the time the most successful managers achieve immediately.. its not like they need to be given 2 years before it’s possible to be successful. Wilder at Utd, Guardiola at City, Klopp at Liverpool, Wenger at Arsenal, Mourinho at pretty much everywhere he’s been, all achieved some satisfactory results immediately, some winning promotions/the league.

The difference being that these were fundamentally soundly run clubs. None of the above were in the position we're now in.

• Thanks 1

Guest LondonOwl313
13 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

The difference being that these were fundamentally soundly run clubs. None of the above were in the position we're now in.

Wilder came to Utd when they were a basket case.. I still think the logic applies to smaller clubs too.

Dyche at Burnley, Howe at Bournemouth, Cowley at Lincoln, Cook wherever he's been... they've all hit the ground running.

Ours is a tough job now depending on finances but a successful manager won't struggle with us for years if they're going to turn it around.

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

...most of the time the most successful managers achieve immediately. its not like they need to be given 2 years before it’s possible to be successful... Guardiola at City, Klopp at Liverpool, Wenger at Arsenal, Mourinho at pretty much everywhere he’s been, all achieved some satisfactory results immediately...

I can see how those situations are just like Monk's with us.

:dry:

• Like 1

Cool would be mad to leave Wigan to come here. Their chairman has just won a massive bet and is loaded. Why would he come and work for a chairman who has spent millions of his own cash and shown ridiculous loyalty to his managers. 

cook has done well everywhere he’s been at some other basket case clubs too. 

should be high on our list v

3 minutes ago, OwlsItGoing said:

we haven't got a chance in hell of getting Paul Cook, Boro are apparently after him and I bet a whole host of other teams will be if he leaves would love him here tho

Boro will 100% stick with Warnock, who more than likely will have them in the top 6 next season without breaking sweat 

3 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

Paul Cook appears to be available at Wigan having again done a good job.

Just compare the two:

Paul Cook as Manager

Chesterfield - promotion

Portsmouth - promotion

Wigan Athletic - promotion

Poached bu both Portsmouth and Wigan

Bullshitter Monk as Manager

No promotions

No play off appearances

Fired by Swansea, fired by Boro, fired by Brum

Good quote.