The most scared you've ever been at a match

Went to Germany 1988 Euro , many scary moments one against Holland still  flashes back with me today .as a young man i did  not notice it  as much at the time, Went to Italy world cup 1990 , we had guns fired at us in Turin , but nothing compares to being invited to a weekend at my mates new Pub the Wat tyler in Kidbrooke , and although not there to watch football , it was Saturday and i got involved in a pool match while the Millwall boys congregated and the  segregated there fans to train stations around London to meet fans coming to the capital. while playing pool i was asked where i was from and who i supported , i woke up in hospital in Lewisham needing 12 stitches to my chin and 6 to back of my head .All i remember thinking before i was wiped out , was How the f*** do i get out of here . There was pure hatred from everyone in there . Years later found this scariest pub guide , although i think the Wat Tyler has since been demolished , the Wat Tyler was still mentioned a few times in this article on this Charlton website.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/27246/scariest-pubs

What agreat thread. Crazy days in the 70s and 80s. Almost every away game carried a major risk. It didnt stop us going all over the country though.

As someone else said, totally different to todays wannabes. Always makes me laugh now, how they make out theyd rip each other to bits, if it wasnt for that pesky yellow police tape saying "do not cross this line"

2 hours ago, vulva said:

We played them quite a few times around then, and I think that might have been the league match. Not even sure if any Derby fans were involved and iirc it made the front page of the Star. 

It was a full scale brawl and the fight happened when they charged us from the side street

Has to be the FA Cup Semi final at Villa Park. A Hard earned but worry free passage to Wembley. Yet with more than 61,000 packed into the ground, what a job we had leaving. The presure lifted us of our feet as we left through the gates. It just carried on building until the moment of relief and we were spewed out of the morass into the street. Finally we could breath and the total relief was ours.

• Like 1

The dambusters was definitely sung to wind the Man U fans up and there were a lot more than 50 people singing it. I recall it starting with them taking the peas out of us by singing 'Chelsea' as they'd just knocked us out of the FA Cup. We sang 'Galatasaray' back at them as they had knocked Man U out of Europe and it escalated from there. I remember being one of the first out and hearing the thundering noise someone mentioned earlier as loads of their fans came flying down some wooden stairs to our left. That's when I realised we might have a bit of a problem. 

• Like 2

From memory, the Dambusters thing started when we played in Europe, and was a song sung at the time. In this game, people could see it was winding the Mancs up but didn’t put 2 and 2 together. Firmly believe it wasn’t sung by the majority with the Munich disaster in mind. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, vulva said:

From memory, the Dambusters thing started when we played in Europe, and was a song sung at the time. In this game, people could see it was winding the Mancs up but didn’t put 2 and 2 together. Firmly believe it wasn’t sung by the majority with the Munich disaster in mind. 

That's my belief

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bladeshater said:

That's my belief

Yes same here, we sung it everywhere..think it started as usual although, think we quickly realised it was upsetting to the mancs.  Too late though. The mancs were well out of order though as it wasn't just men they were having a go at kids as well. Classless unlike their blue neighbours.

• Like 1

Man Utd semi final away in 94

I was only 10 and Man Utd fans were throwing coins at us mid game as some of our fans were doing the dam busters. Continued after the game as our coach home was pelted with rocks and coins. My dad was absolutely furious as you could imagine 

*Only just read thread seems this has already been mentioned a few times

lol

Edited by Stoop

10 hours ago, Nut said:

The dambusters was definitely sung to wind the Man U fans up and there were a lot more than 50 people singing it. I recall it starting with them taking the peas out of us by singing 'Chelsea' as they'd just knocked us out of the FA Cup. We sang 'Galatasaray' back at them as they had knocked Man U out of Europe and it escalated from there. I remember being one of the first out and hearing the thundering noise someone mentioned earlier as loads of their fans came flying down some wooden stairs to our left. That's when I realised we might have a bit of a problem. 

You cottoned on a lot earlier than I did mate. I was totally oblivious to it until you said we better get outta here and keep our heads down. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoop said:

Man Utd semi final away in 94

I was only 10 and Man Utd fans were throwing coins at us mid game as some of our fans were doing the dam busters. Continued after the game as our coach home was pelted with rocks and coins. My dad was absolutely furious as you could imagine 

*Only just read thread seems this has already been mentioned a few times

lol

Yeah but apparently we were all totally fine with it and every fan thought singing the Dambusters theme was a right funny/cool thing to do

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, vulva said:

You're right it was sung a lot at this time but I can't believe anyone singing this against Man Utd didn't know the connotations. I think a lot of our decent fans have tried to excuse what we sang by saying we always used to sing it , but we were out of order singing it against them and it was no surprise their fans reacted how they did. I think we were also doing the plane impressions as well. We sang it against Kaiserslautern which was also wrong although they probably didn't understand it like the mancs did. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, vulva said:

We played them quite a few times around then, and I think that might have been the league match. Not even sure if any Derby fans were involved and iirc it made the front page of the Star. 

I was at that one. I thought the police caused that trouble after the game by just lining up across the road and blocking our path back to the station. 
The trouble that made the front page of the star was the fighting before the game I thought.

It wasn't the first time SWFC fans had done the dam buster chant and arms sway, but it was generally the odd fans and was just met with a two fingered salute by their fans.

I remember a lot more SWFC fans doing it in 94, which was partly down to our previous season in Europe and cup runs. I think some were on the wind up and some genuinely oblivious to the implications. We also had a lot there that Sunday - probably around 6k with all that terracing and seating at one end which even then was a bowl with their fans looking down on us. 

Even to this day though, I never saw any real trouble - went home through Manchester and the train back to Sheffield and didn't hear anything until the following week. It then was built up for the 2nd leg and it went off all over Hillsborough outside the ground before and after the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah but apparently we were all totally fine with it and every fan thought singing the Dambusters theme was a right funny/cool thing to do

Like I said I was only 10 but even I realised what was going on. Not great from both sets of fans 

• Like 1

Couple of stories. One SWFC related one not.

Scared at the match? Wolves away c1989. At the time half of Molinieux was out of use. So both home and away fans were standing behind one goal. Plenty of abuse flying both ways. It wasn't the abuse that scared me - rather the distance I was carried off my feet when Wednesday scored before being bashed into a barrier and thoroughly winded. For what felt like an age, but was probably only a minute or two, I couldn't get up as the crowd was still surging behind me. I still feel a bit shaken now thinking about it. 

Not Owls related. I was in a pub in Birmingham one Saturday afternoon in the late 90s. Not a pub known for trouble. Manchester United were playing Villa that day. About 1pm, in an obviously pre-planned assault, a group of 15-20 Manc hoolies barged into the pub and smashed it up. Windows went, glasses smashed, pool tables broken, behind the bar smashed up. The works. My problem was that there was no way out, hoolies and broken windows at the front meant the only hiding place was a small yard outside with the used beer barrels. After cowering out there for what again felt like an age, we heard the hooligans barge through the back door. I expected a beating. Luckily though they were running - over the back fence and on their way. 

1 minute ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Couple of stories. One SWFC related one not.

Scared at the match? Wolves away c1989. At the time half of Molinieux was out of use. So both home and away fans were standing behind one goal. Plenty of abuse flying both ways. It wasn't the abuse that scared me - rather the distance I was carried off my feet when Wednesday scored before being bashed into a barrier and thoroughly winded. For what felt like an age, but was probably only a minute or two, I couldn't get up as the crowd was still surging behind me. I still feel a bit shaken now thinking about it. 

Not Owls related. I was in a pub in Birmingham one Saturday afternoon in the late 90s. Not a pub known for trouble. Manchester United were playing Villa that day. About 1pm, in an obviously pre-planned assault, a group of 15-20 Manc hoolies barged into the pub and smashed it up. Windows went, glasses smashed, pool tables broken, behind the bar smashed up. The works. My problem was that there was no way out, hoolies and broken windows at the front meant the only hiding place was a small yard outside with the used beer barrels. After cowering out there for what again felt like an age, we heard the hooligans barge through the back door. I expected a beating. Luckily though they were running - over the back fence and on their way. 

The Wolves game was FACup. If I remember correctly the Wolves fans broke into the empty stand behind the goal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vulva said:

The Wolves game was FACup. If I remember correctly the Wolves fans broke into the empty stand behind the goal. 

I think the Owls fans were particularly excited by the goal given the goading from Wolves and that at least one of the Wolves goals was clearly offside. Didn't help the 13/14 year old me feel less scared though 😞

14 minutes ago, vulva said:

That big end with just the back half covered seemed to go on forever. When Atkinson scored everyone piled forward arms/legs everywhere. It was spilt in the middle like the Holt End at semis.

There was a bit of trouble outside the ground - that underpass coming down to the ground from the pub.

• Like 1