The most scared you've ever been at a match

Non hooligan related was away at Chesterfield many years ago when we were all stuck outside at kick off cos the turnstiles couldn't cope with our numbers, an exit gate got kicked down and we were swept inside in a crush whether you wanted to or not, feet never touched the ground.

• Like 1

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

2 minutes ago, Striggy said:

Non hooligan related was away at Chesterfield many years ago when we were all stuck outside at kick off cos the turnstiles couldn't cope with our numbers, an exit gate got kicked down and we were swept inside in a crush whether you wanted to or not, feet never touched the ground.

Happened all the time at Millmoor.

Hooligan related, home v Forest mid 70s I would guess.  We got on the kop early and were sat reading the programme when a voice said "lend us a scalf mate".  Looked up to see half a doz Forest fans so I legged it down the Kop.  Turned round to see my brother in a tug of war holding on to his prized scalf for dear life while the six kicked 7 bells out of him.  Had to go back to assist and got a reyt beating and lost a scalf.  happy days

• Haha 1

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

Two occasions spring to mind.

Night match at West Ham right in the middle of the worst excesses of the old style violence. (not the pre arranged meet ups that came later).

On a coach near the ground round those streets near Upton Park and the intensity of the threats was bloody off the scale.

By the time we parked up, a few refused to get off the coach & stayed on it!!!!

Second was at the old Maine Rd. You could sneak round half the ground inside the sweeping terraces ( bit like the old Chelsea ground). With about 20 mins to go , you could see the City hoolies gradually infiltrating round bit at a time to where the Wednesday fans were.

By the time the final whistle blew they were everywhere & we got a right kicking on the way out. The real scary thing was watching it build for 20 mins knowing what was coming.

Guest struckanerve

Man United away, semi final first leg, 1994, they laid into any Wednesday after the match.

Edited by struckanerve

3 minutes ago, struckanerve said:

Man United away, semi final first leg, 1994, they laid into any Wednesday after the match.

We walked back to the tram stop at the cricket ground without seeing any trouble.  It was only when other Wednesday fans starting turning up bloodied and bruised, we had an inkling there'd been bother.

Guest struckanerve
Just now, Sham67 said:

We walked back to the tram stop at the cricket ground without seeing any trouble.  It was only when other Wednesday fans starting turning up bloodied and bruised, we had an inkling there'd been bother.

I was about 14 at the time and it was carnage when I exited. Abiding memory is a huge bald United fan jogging off with his mate laughing after flattening an unsuspecting Wednesdayite. Memory is pretty hazy about the rest.

Only match I've been to which was worse, but not Wedneday, was when I saw Grimsby vs Stoke in the early 90's, pitch invasion and fight on the pitch, what seemed like full on warfare to my eyes before and after the match.