The most scared you've ever been at a match

36 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Millmoor most times in that death trap alleyway. 

West Ham away in the 80’s when Mirocevic went and bloody scored. Thank god we lost 2-1. 

Always very very worried when we play pigs. Not the BBC, but the massive fear of losing. 

That West Ham game was the only time I've been run at a match. I was only 15 and was bricking it. They were charging into us while we were trying to get through the turnstiles as well. The Man U game was a bit scary but more because of the numbers as they locked the gates when it kicked off so most Wednesday fans were stuck inside the ground.

Can't remember the exact game but I was on the South Stand just unwrapping my second Werthers when I heard a huge shout go up next to my left earhole.

As piercing as it was loud and sudden...

I was shocked to the core nearly had heart failure.

'Programmes 3 quid!'

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

West Street about twelve of us in, all Wednesday fans, when these two lads rush in shouting BBC throwing bottles.  We chase them out into the only to find there are bloody loads of them outside waiting for us. 

A bit of lashing out and more bottles thrown, and we run back in the pub and bar the door close and next thing windows are going through and there is glass everywhere.  Doors shaking as they try to force their way in. 

Like this for a few minutes then we can see some of them starting to run off, thank God coppers are here I thought, but no, it was some OCS lads, never felt so pleased to see them. A couple of united lads who stood their ground took a bit of a kicking. 

Rest of the united lads disappeared quick and I don't blame them as the OCS lads were big lads and game for a show down.

Had a few adventures round town in the eighties and early nighties, we got lucky that night we could have taken a right hammering. 

Have you got any proof

all in the 1970's

Sunderland 3 v 0 Owls, everyone running from ground back to the coaches. No police around, Sunderland fans waiting for the Owls fans. Managed to get on coach then a hail of bricks came through breaking all windows. A large knife came through the window and stuck in head rest, luck everyone was on the floor- police not interested, absolutely freezing on way back (January)

Similar at Middlesboro, lost 8-0 and still Boro fans put all windows through

Millwall away, coach pulled into carpark, hail of bricks never stopped went straight back to Sheffield (think it ended 0-0

1 minute ago, Shetland Owl said:

all in the 1970's

Sunderland 3 v 0 Owls, everyone running from ground back to the coaches. No police around, Sunderland fans waiting for the Owls fans. Managed to get on coach then a hail of bricks came through breaking all windows. A large knife came through the window and stuck in head rest, luck everyone was on the floor- police not interested, absolutely freezing on way back (January)

Millwall away, coach pulled into carpark, hail of bricks never stopped went straight back to Sheffield (think it ended 0-0

Remind me never to invite you on to the Rotherham Owls Coach.   😄

• Haha 1

If it kicks off, I can’t say Ive ever felt scared. That’s not me giving it the big I am, it’s just those sort of incidents were a regular occurrence back in the day. Once you get a slap, you don’t really worry too much, it’s more of an adrenalin rush Bet there’s plenty who don’t consider themselves hooligans, who actually miss the buzz. The one time I was a little concerned was the crush at Portman Rd, that for a while was a bit scary

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

Not scared, but funniest I remember is at Oakwell, watching England Under 21's and seeing a guy on a busy roundabout being beaten by someone with a spade.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Out of interest, what was he calling it?

1 hour ago, Nut said:

That West Ham game was the only time I've been run at a match. I was only 15 and was bricking it. They were charging into us while we were trying to get through the turnstiles as well. The Man U game was a bit scary but more because of the numbers as they locked the gates when it kicked off so most Wednesday fans were stuck inside the ground.

Think you're a jinx mate.

• Haha 1

Man U away in the League Cup Semi, I was with my female cousin and sister and it was absolute carnage. 

We managed to find a copper whose advice was "I'm on my own but stand behind me and cover up your shirts, after that you're on your own" 

Fortuantly once we were incognito we were able to make it safely back to the car. 

Been to Millwall, West Ham, Cardiff and Birmingham plenty of times and never seen any bother. 

40 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

'Boro away one year..All the 'Boro mob charged from out of a bloody graveyard nr Ayresome....It was like they had just risen from the dead...superb psychological football hooliganism!!!!!

Went to a night match at Boro and got there earlier than we anticipated. Parked on road with graveyard on left and ambulance station on opposite side.

Large mob of Boro fans in distance suddenly seemed to be getting nearer.

I remember saying we’re either going to end up in the ambulances or the graves!

The few Wednesday fans that were there, some started legging it away up the road.

We were a bit like rabbits in the headlights, and froze. Eventually crossed to the same side of the road to the Boro mob. Think they must have thought we were their lot.

Continued our walk to the ground keeping   a few yards behind them. They kept looking back. Casually took the first road on the left and headed down to the ground not daring to look back to see if they were following us.

Scary time indeed. There’s so many tales to tell about following Wednesday away in the 70’s  and 80’s.

1 hour ago, Shetland Owl said:

all in the 1970's

Remember the Sunderland one. Absolute carnage all over the place.

The Millwall night match in mid 70’s was also very dodgy. They were firing air rifles at us as we came out at the end.

Old Trafford at the semi final was also horrendous as they were attacking anybody including women and kids.

Was once on first coach to arrive at Deepdale in early 70’s. Got run all over place for about half an hour before we ran in the park opposite and thousands of Wednesday fans were coming across the park from the train station. What a sight it was.That was the end of us being chased around Preston. 

I’ve taken a few beatings, and often they come at unlikely destinations, and often when you aren’t expecting it. West Ham, Chelsea, Millwall, Norwich, and Great Yarmouth on the same day, Oxford, Bradford City, Port Vale and pre season at Ayr Can’t remember ever being scared though

4 hours ago, Striggy said:

Non hooligan related was away at Chesterfield many years ago when we were all stuck outside at kick off cos the turnstiles couldn't cope with our numbers, an exit gate got kicked down and we were swept inside in a crush whether you wanted to or not, feet never touched the ground.

I remember that. Not scared at all though just happy to get in without paying.

FA Cup semifinal at Villa Park v Everton was scary. So tightly packed in I never got my hands from my side, even when Shutty scored. I had a Mars bar in my pocket which was liquid at the end!  Stoke v West Ham league cup semifinal replay 1972, just the same on Leppings Lane. Stood at the end of the tunnel.