The most scared you've ever been at a match

2 hours ago, Sleepy Joes Cafe said:

Remember the Sunderland one. Absolute carnage all over the place.

The Millwall night match in mid 70’s was also very dodgy. They were firing air rifles at us as we came out at the end.

Old Trafford at the semi final was also horrendous as they were attacking anybody including women and kids.

Was once on first coach to arrive at Deepdale in early 70’s. Got run all over place for about half an hour before we ran in the park opposite and thousands of Wednesday fans were coming across the park from the train station. What a sight it was.That was the end of us being chased around Preston. 

I wonder if we were on the same coach, as exactly the same happened to me. My first ever away match too. Was it the 1.1 draw. We played in orange, peter eustace scored a penlty?

6 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Funny story...After a Derby away match a few years ago I was left outside the train station on myself after my brother had left me...So I decided to pop into the pub across from the Merry Widow for a quick one...As soon as I walked in I could see it was ram packed full of Derby fans...A minute later the police piled in, closed the doors and stopped anyone leaving....I just bought myself a half and edged into the corner till the coast was clear.  Good job I'd had a couple and didn't panic. Similar to when we went to Rovrum and we went in Weatherspoons packed with home fans and we had a kid chattin sh@t to us and asking where we were from.  

Ram packed full of Derby fans. :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Millwall away years ago at the old Den was a different level, I mean you would get ambushed at anytime if you walked through certain points.

Inside the ground was sometimes redicalous with that long side paddock.

I remember WHU away being Bad.

Boro at Ayesome park.

Watching a night game at Fulham coming out to be greeted by Chelsea fans.

4 hours ago, Howards back said:

When you think about it the guys who replaced coach windows in the 70-80s must have made a fortune. Week in week out all around the country coach windows put through. 

Reckon they were the one's doing it!

Man U at Hillsborough Dec 7th 1974 when about 10,000 of them were on the Kop. Afraid we might get noticed and battered, especially when we scored!

Wolves away in League Cup c 1977. We were on the South Bank and got surrounded. You could see it coming though for about 20 minutes as lots of small groups of Wolves fans made their way over so we put our silk scarves in our pockets and snuck out. Coach got bricked though.

Charlton away in the FA Cup in 1976, when the Millwall F Troop turned up to help them out (after they had taken a kicking at Hillsborough 3 months before)!

Numerous crushes at away grounds (Chesterfield in 75, Man City in 83 and Grimsby in 83). Looking at what happened at the disaster in 89, it was inevitable that something like that was going to happen somewhere sooner or later. Could easily have been either of those games I was at as the police didn't have a Scooby about crowd control.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Man U at Hillsborough Dec 7th 1974 when about 10,000 of them were on the Kop. Afraid we might get noticed and battered, especially when we scored!

Wolves away in League Cup c 1977. We were on the South Bank and got surrounded. You could see it coming though for about 20 minutes as lots of small groups of Wolves fans made their way over so we put our silk scarves in our pockets and snuck out. Coach got bricked though.

Charlton away in the FA Cup in 1976, when the Millwall F Troop turned up to help them out (after they had taken a kicking at Hillsborough 3 months before)!

Numerous crushes at away grounds (Chesterfield in 75, Man City in 83 and Grimsby in 83). Looking at what happened at the disaster in 89, it was inevitable that something like that was going to happen somewhere sooner or later. Could easily have been either of those games I was at as the police didn't have a Scooby about crowd control.

I also remember a bad crush at Bradford City maybe in the 70s. When we got into the ground we got pelted with bricks from outside the ground. 

I have to say it was after we beat manure at Hillsborough can't remember year, three numpty's we're walking towards me one with a knife his mates shouting cut him up, I shouted knife and luckily the biggest copper I'd ever seen flattened the three of them must admit I didn't go to a game for quite a while.

33 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Its like going to the library nowadays. 

Completely different atmosphere, if you weren't actually scared when going away in yesteryear, you were at least wary of your surroundings.  

Today you can go in to more or less any pub (outside of Derby Games) and chat to the opposition fans. Much more relaxed.

How it should be

Way more interesting to chat to the opposition fans and get their perspective on the football than to have to watch a load of stone island draped wannabe's hopping about on their toes with their arms outstretched out wide like Jesus, shouting at passing families from behind the safety of a line of police

lol

• Like 4

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Swiss Toni said:

A different kind of scared than fearing for my life but the away leg in the playoff semis vs Brighton had me on edge, especially that first half!!

Watch that back..

They should have been 6-0 up at half time.

Crazy how we got through that.

• Like 2

Never felt fear before or during a game, but Millwall away 2001/02 season was pretty hairy after the game.

We won with a Donnelly brace and the natives weren't happy, so much so that they were on the lookout for ‘Northern Monkeys’.

Didn't seem like much of a threat, but the few that were armed with broken bottles put enough fear into me, and one in particular that had what seemed to be blood on his neck and face.

The police were nowhere to be seen until we approached the train station and a few on horseback headed in the direction we'd just been.

So, in truth, I've seen very little trouble at games down the years. My only other vivid memory was after we were relegated in 1990, and that was just a few Forest fans that were either incredibly stupid or just unlucky to be set upon.

39 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

How it should be

Way more interesting to chat to the opposition fans and get their perspective on the football than to have to watch a load of stone island draped wannabe's hopping about on their toes with their arms outstretched out wide like Jesus, shouting at passing families from behind the safety of a line of police

lol

If only it was that.

Back in the 70s early 80s everybody wanted a pop at you.

None of your fake bouncing and pointing. 

If you were of an age you were fair game for a clip.

Today's Hoolies are genteel by comparison and actually have rules about how to go on.

• Like 3

I also forgot to mention being stood on the Anfield kop in 1991/92, was sold out on the away end so managed to get in on the kop, ( cheaper too) but maybe a bit naive seeing it was our first game since the tragedy and the absolute vile abuse that was aimed at the away end, even Wednesday players, people were shouting ' you murdering ********' etc.

Kept quite but when Harkes put us 1 up it was hard!

Think they scored late on to finish 1-1

Remember having aggro at Stockport lastaway game back in 2001/02 when again we was on their Cheadle end, I remember these Stockport fans running over to us after they saw us celebrating an early Alan Quinn goal, one of them were throwing punches at me ( or trying) and every punch missed, I wasnt scared,  me and my mates couldn't stop laughing at the time.

We ended up just walking across the corner flag into the away end it was a mad day.

Edited by TaxiMark

1 hour ago, Colinwestzicoest said:

Man U mid 90's when our fans stupidly did the dam busters chant at the Matt Busby tribute game. We we're chased to the coaches. Massive thunder of feet from the Man U stands at the end of the game rushing to confront us was very scary. 

That same Dambusters chant we’d done at every game for about 5 years previously you mean?

We were amongst the couple of hundred who got outside before they closed the gates .... crackers!

Revenge in the return leg ... big time!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

I also forgot to mention being stood on the Anfield kop in 1991/92, was sold out on the away end so managed to get in on the kop, ( cheaper too) but maybe a bit naive seeing it was our first game since the tragedy and the absolute vile abuse that was aimed at the away end, even Wednesday players, people were shouting ' you murdering ********' etc.

Kept quite but when Harkes put us 1 up it was hard!

Think they scored late on to finish 1-1

Remember having aggro at Stockport lastaway game back in 2001/02 when again we was on their Cheadle end, I remember these Stockport fans running over to us after they saw us celebrating an early Alan Quinn goal, one of them were throwing punches at me ( or trying) and every punch missed, I wasnt scared,  me and my mates couldn't stop laughing at the time.

We ended up just walking across the corner flag into the away end it was a mad day.

Seemed to go off regularly at Stockport around that period, think they enjoyed trying to take the scalp of the fans of the bigger clubs. 

50 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

That same Dambusters chant we’d done at every game for about 5 years previously you mean?

We were amongst the couple of hundred who got outside before they closed the gates .... crackers!

Revenge in the return leg ... big time!

Yes but we noticed straight away that it was pi**ing them off and continued throughout the game, knowing the connotations. I was ashamed & would not have been blaming Man U fans if I got a slap that day, thankfully I didn't, not our finest hour. Many Wednesday fans were fuming with our own fans behaviour. 

28 minutes ago, Colinwestzicoest said:

Yes but we noticed straight away that it was pi**ing them off and continued throughout the game, knowing the connotations. I was ashamed & would not have been blaming Man U fans if I got a slap that day, thankfully I didn't, not our finest hour. Many Wednesday fans were fuming with our own fans behaviour. 

Really couldn’t disagree more.... Many Wednesdayite’s fuming with our own fans behaviour..... really???