Joost Van Aken

Large.jpg

Just turned on the osnabruk game to see how he was doing but he's not playing, would this be down to injury or the fact his loan is ending? Is he worth another shot here even as back up decent left foot but very lightweight or is it time to try and cash in on him? 

3 minutes ago, Pressman 1 said:

Just turned on the osnabruk game to see how he was doing but he's not playing, would this be down to injury or the fact his loan is ending? Is he worth another shot here even as back up decent left foot but very lightweight or is it time to try and cash in on him? 

He scored an own goal a couple of weeks ago in a heavy defeat and hasn't exactly been pulling up any trees, maybe he has just been dropped. 

His first couple of games he looked a decent player, after that he looked like he was a car crash. If he's got his confidence back and built up a certain amount of mental strength he could do ok. There must have been something about him if we thought it worth while paying money for him, then again we did sign some dross.

I'd sell if we got a half decent offer. He'd have a lot to do to win over our fans. Others have done it, who knows, he might.

• Like 2

Guest wilyfox

Had such a torrid time here with form & injury. Mountain to climb if he's to turn that around. I can't see it, personally, but don't know how he's fared in Germany. 

Unless there is a move lined up for him then I expect Monk to give him a chance to impress in pre season. Dont see why he wouldnt initially have him in the squad. So then it's up to Van Aken to prove he was better than them 200 another defenders after all.

Just like Pelupessy, he’s come from a different type of football in the Eredivisie and both have struggled badly with the pace and physicality of the championship. Both will be gone from here within the next 12 months.

Edited by Jim
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, prowl said:

His first couple of games he looked a decent player

I utterly dispute that

Some people were seduced by the fact he can ping the ball decently

But for the specifics of defending he looked hopeless

Positioning poor,  no awareness, turning circle of an oil tanker,  couldn't sort his feet out so easy to get past

Not even good in the air for a tall guy

But because he can hit pinpoint 60 yarders some thought we had a good player on our hands

I know you can never fully judge a player over a few games but the early signs were that there was an awful long way to go for him to iron out those flaws in his game to become anything like the required level

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

One of the most bewildering signings we have made. Prior to signing for us, he managed 46 games over 2 seasons. How we deemed it acceptable to spend such an amount of money on a player with such obvious injury issues absolutely baffles me. 

15/16 he made 20 appearances after spending the first 4 months of the season out with a thigh injury. 

16/17 the season prior to us signing him

he managed 26 appearances, before missing the final 2 months of the season with ankle surgery. 

17/18 we spend a hefty sum on a player with huge injury issues. He makes 19 appearances before being injured against Forest in December which then leads to him missing 5 months with a hamstring injury. 

It’s absolutely mental we expected anything else from Van Aken. Now missing from Osnabruk with ligament injuries. Just shows the atrocious recruitment that’s been in place under DC. 

Just now, scram said:

I utterly dispute that

Some people were seduced by the fact he can ping the ball decently

But for the specifics of defending he looked hopeless

Positioning poor,  no awareness, turning circle of an oil tanker,  couldn't sort his feet out so easy to get past

Not even good in the air for a tall guy

But because he can hit pinpoint 60 yarders some thought we had a good player on our hands

I know you can never fully judge a player over a few games but the early signs were that there was an awful long way to go for him to iron out those flaws in his game to become anything like the required level

Will become a mainstay of the Wednesday defence for years to come.   In the Prem.

• Haha 1

There's always somebody in every Van Aken thread to say that he'll come good if given a few games and "there's a player in there somewhere". And somebody will suggest playing him in defensive midfield. All based on him making a few decent passes in his early games. They obviously didn't witness his car crash performances in the derby and at Wigan. He's an absolutely dire defender. 

• Like 2

Never seen a centre back go to ground as quickly and as often as him.

The sort of stuff Borner regularly cuts out and plays square, Van Aken would bust a gut to lunge at and uncontrollable slice away. 

• Like 1

one of the biggest problems with him is he is so lightweight , before he had an op he came down steps to players entrance ,he looked so skinny I just couldn't believe it no wonder he gets injured all the time and cant physically cope. it was a result losing his wages this season. can we twist there arm for next season too.