Joost Van Aken

5 hours ago, Blue and white said:

200 defenders scouted and he was the best one, I'd hate to see the standard of the other 199.

Weirdly Carlos brought in Venancio at the same time as Van Aken, but refused to play him

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vulva said:

Despite the noise, football fans are rarely wrong. I remember when we signed him, someone put a link on here from a forum, from his previous club. The general consensus was that he was no where near strong enough for this league. He wasn’t, and isn’t. There is a footballer in him, and I reckon Wednesday scouted him and thought he would develop. He hasn’t. 

Could he have been the first player we signed with a view to develop and sell on, after all he was apparently young, talented and cheapish if we paid £2m for him? 

Maybe the failure with him impacted on our recruitment strategy?

Alternatively....he was another terrible signing due to the structure of the recruitment team at that time

16 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Could he have been the first player we signed with a view to develop and sell on, after all he was apparently young, talented and cheapish if we paid £2m for him? 

Maybe the failure with him impacted on our recruitment strategy?

Alternatively....he was another terrible signing due to the structure of the recruitment team at that time

I can see why we signed him. I do think he could be a player. Would be better in a 3. Not good enough or strong enough at present to play in a 2. Not sure Tom Lees helped him. 12 months playing alongside Loovens and you might have seen a different player. Lees very much plays in bubble. 

38 minutes ago, vulva said:

I can see why we signed him. I do think he could be a player. Would be better in a 3. Not good enough or strong enough at present to play in a 2. Not sure Tom Lees helped him. 12 months playing alongside Loovens and you might have seen a different player. Lees very much plays in bubble. 

Got to agree about playing in a 3, that would suit him, only question is does he have the footballing intelligence to sweep behind the defence (assume he was the centre of the three with a free role) when defending, especially counter attacks?

Doesn’t matter if you play him in a 3 or whether he is 4th choice if he is playing in a championship game teams will expose him.

He is miles away physically and very cumbersome.

Thornily was a much better defender.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Actually yes.

And at least Lees turned in a few seasons of stellar performances prior to turning poo.

So, neither of them are good enough then (unless our ambition is to avid relegation as opposed to competing at the right end of the table).

20 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

So, neither of them are good enough then (unless our ambition is to avid relegation as opposed to competing at the right end of the table).

I think Lees is good enough at this level but needs a change of scenery.

Van Aken is way off ever being competent at this level. Pelupessy and a few others the same

22 hours ago, scram said:

I utterly dispute that

Some people were seduced by the fact he can ping the ball decently

But for the specifics of defending he looked hopeless

Positioning poor,  no awareness, turning circle of an oil tanker,  couldn't sort his feet out so easy to get past

Not even good in the air for a tall guy

But because he can hit pinpoint 60 yarders some thought we had a good player on our hands

I know you can never fully judge a player over a few games but the early signs were that there was an awful long way to go for him to iron out those flaws in his game to become anything like the required level

This

This

This

THIS!!

22 hours ago, prowl said:

His first couple of games he looked a decent player, after that he looked like he was a car crash. If he's got his confidence back and built up a certain amount of mental strength he could do ok. There must have been something about him if we thought it worth while paying money for him, then again we did sign some dross.

I'd sell if we got a half decent offer. He'd have a lot to do to win over our fans. Others have done it, who knows, he might.

Yep I though he looked like he had real potential when he first played.

Monk was a decent centre back in his time. As soon as he sees Van aken training when he gets back he will know he can’t play him. He will be out on loan again somewhere at whatever fee we can get.

one day the story about this transfer will surely come out. I have no idea what that story is but it is amazing that we signed a player of that quality.

Well I’m in the ‘there is a player’ camp. Played a decent standard in Holland and now Germany and capped at Under 21 level. 

Seems quite a few on here have changed their minds. 

7 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Monk was a decent centre back in his time. As soon as he sees Van aken training when he gets back he will know he can’t play him. He will be out on loan again somewhere at whatever fee we can get.

one day the story about this transfer will surely come out. I have no idea what that story is but it is amazing that we signed a player of that quality.

No more amazing than the signatures of Abdi, Emanuelson and Rhodes.