Joost Van Aken

5 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

one of the biggest problems with him is he is so lightweight , before he had an op he came down steps to players entrance ,he looked so skinny I just couldn't believe it no wonder he gets injured all the time and cant physically cope. it was a result losing his wages this season. can we twist there arm for next season too. 

Remember seeing Matias a couple of season back and thinking the exact same. The bloke looked like a strong wind could put him out for 4 weeks.

It’s strange how we seemed to go for players who you would question their robustness to play in the Championship. 

• Like 1

Just now, NeonLeon said:

Remember seeing Matias a couple of season back and thinking the exact same. The bloke looked like a strong wind could put him out for 4 weeks.

It’s strange how we seemed to go for players who you would question their robustness to play in the Championship. 

I agree about him too , lightweight players rarely do well unless they have incredible talent . that's why Warnock etc used to fill there sides with big players in this league to great success .

Wouldn't be disappointed to see him go, but unless someone wants him, he's here for another year. 

Other than Borner, he's the only left sided CB we have and we looked woefully unbalanced when he was unavailable. 

Unless we are in the market for another CB looks like he is coming back.

From his first game it was clear there were huge issues with the player. He has the worst defensive footwork I have seen on any centre half in all of my time watching Wednesday. He constantly drives from his wrong foot, meaning he misses headers, is easy to get past, and must be an absolute nightmare to play alongside as a fellow centre half. 

i said at the time, we have one shot at sorting this player out and that was taking him away completely for 6 months ish and just drilling him over and over on defensive footwork. I would have asked George Graham to do it on a 6 month contract! It was ridiculous having him in the first team. Assuming this is still a major issue , he cannot be near the first team and monk will know this.

he could have a career possibly in the USA or Middle East but not here if that hasn’t got a whole lot better. 
The only player who comes close on being so short on basic technical issues that I have seen is da Cruz, who isn’t even conference standard.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

I thought he looked decent in the league cup tie at Sunderland. More aggressive but he hurt an ankle...

Not sure he looked all that comfortable in that game to be honest, remember Freddie Nielson looking arguably better than him that night. 

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

From his first game it was clear there were huge issues with the player. He has the worst defensive footwork I have seen on any centre half in all of my time watching Wednesday. He constantly drives from his wrong foot, meaning he misses headers, is easy to get past, and must be an absolute nightmare to play alongside as a fellow centre half. 

i said at the time, we have one shot at sorting this player out and that was taking him away completely for 6 months ish and just drilling him over and over on defensive footwork. I would have asked George Graham to do it on a 6 month contract! It was ridiculous having him in the first team. Assuming this is still a major issue , he cannot be near the first team and monk will know this.

he could have a career possibly in the USA or Middle East but not here if that hasn’t got a whole lot better. 
The only player who comes close on being so short on basic technical issues that I have seen is da Cruz, who isn’t even conference standard.

Couldn't agree more. Some of the most obvious technical flaws regarding his balance I've ever seen in a pro centre back. I posted the same last month.

For me he is our worst pound for pound signing ever. Who watched him and said he should be signed for that price? 

27 minutes ago, Nero said:

BBC said 2.75m Mirror 3.5 HITC 4m.

So 3 different amounts from 3 sources. Would you say that HITC is an accurate source of information? It's like referencing an entry on a Wiki page that has no source identifier.

That said, whatever we paid for him it was too much!