Joost Van Aken

4 hours ago, 0114 said:

One of the most bewildering signings we have made. Prior to signing for us, he managed 46 games over 2 seasons. How we deemed it acceptable to spend such an amount of money on a player with such obvious injury issues absolutely baffles me. 

15/16 he made 20 appearances after spending the first 4 months of the season out with a thigh injury. 

16/17 the season prior to us signing him

he managed 26 appearances, before missing the final 2 months of the season with ankle surgery. 

17/18 we spend a hefty sum on a player with huge injury issues. He makes 19 appearances before being injured against Forest in December which then leads to him missing 5 months with a hamstring injury. 

It’s absolutely mental we expected anything else from Van Aken. Now missing from Osnabruk with ligament injuries. Just shows the atrocious recruitment that’s been in place under DC. 

In a long list of utterly bewildering signings. Lachman, Emanuelson, Abdi, Boyd.  Oh, I can't go on it's too depressing.

• Like 1

Despite the noise, football fans are rarely wrong. I remember when we signed him, someone put a link on here from a forum, from his previous club. The general consensus was that he was no where near strong enough for this league. He wasn’t, and isn’t. There is a footballer in him, and I reckon Wednesday scouted him and thought he would develop. He hasn’t. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So 3 different amounts from 3 sources. Would you say that HITC is an accurate source of information? It's like referencing an entry on a Wiki page that has no source identifier.

That said, whatever we paid for him it was too much! 

Agrre. HITC  is just a data scraping site. Useless mostly. Probably paid 2.75m. A poster said we paid nothing near 3 to 4 mil hence the post.

Sadly I think we did.

Has a year left on his deal should be sold to recoup some of the money wasted on him.

instead will stay, not play and sit in the stands for a season. It's the Wednesday way into last 12 months of deal not allowed to play.

with Iorfa, Lees, Borner should get no where near the first team, unless one of the 3 gets a bad injury or sold.

22 minutes ago, Nero said:

Agrre. HITC  is just a data scraping site. Useless mostly. Probably paid 2.75m. A poster said we paid nothing near 3 to 4 mil hence the post.

Sadly I think we did.

I think we paid 4m Euros so probably £3-4m remember Carlos looked at 200 defender before signing him. How bad must the other has been.

I think it was a signing driven by an attempt to be popular by either Carlos or DC.

There were lots of calls at the time to sign a ‘ ball playing centre half .’ This was driven falsely by the notion that our lack of chance creation was down to Lees and Loovens. Of course, this was absurd and the reasons for our lack of chance creation was the same then as it is now - we lack pace, our midfield sits too deep and our strikers are one dimensional. The idea that we would sign a Kaiser centre back who would stride up the pitch and ping hollywooders and transform us to Brazil 70 was and is madness. But someone who actually makes these decisions decided that’s what we needed, and needed a cheap one, so van aken was signed. 

replacing Loovens, a magnificent defender and a player who was of a very high technical standard at defending, with Van aken, almost makes me sick thinking about it. 

7 hours ago, McRightSide said:

He’s terrible. 

And let’s be honest, he landed two or three worldy passes but the rest failed miserably.

Would give him away if we can find someone to take over his contract.

Is he any worse than Lees has been over the past 18 months ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Four centre backs of Iorfa, Lees, Borner and Van Aken wouldnt be that bad for next season. Gives balance right sided and left sided. Can see Monk going with that with other positions more worrying.

Lockdown got ya good if you think Van Aken is good enough

10 hours ago, mcmigo said:

I think it was a signing driven by an attempt to be popular by either Carlos or DC.

There were lots of calls at the time to sign a ‘ ball playing centre half .’ This was driven falsely by the notion that our lack of chance creation was down to Lees and Loovens. Of course, this was absurd and the reasons for our lack of chance creation was the same then as it is now - we lack pace, our midfield sits too deep and our strikers are one dimensional. The idea that we would sign a Kaiser centre back who would stride up the pitch and ping hollywooders and transform us to Brazil 70 was and is madness. But someone who actually makes these decisions decided that’s what we needed, and needed a cheap one, so van aken was signed. 

replacing Loovens, a magnificent defender and a player who was of a very high technical standard at defending, with Van aken, almost makes me sick thinking about it. 

I doubt it was as thought through as that. As I recall, there were persistent rumours through the 2017 close season about centre half targets. No doubt most of these were unfounded, but we were clearly short on options and we definitely needed someone.

But no deal got done, and there we were, late in the transfer window, going to market in the worst circumstances: an obvious need to come home with someone, and limited time. 

How far the scouts and acquisition team thought they'd unearthed a gem, and how far they thought "well, this will have to do" can only be conjecture.