BREAKING NEWS - Club announcement from EFL

Why don't these 'bosses' do what the newscasters should do, and take a sensibility pill. The simple answer is WE DON'T KNOW!!!

Hell. The virus is still wining the battle!  Death rates are still rising, simply not as fast. We are far from winning that battke yet. Maybe when rates start to fall we shall know or could start planning/

Reucing the rate of infections /deaths is not beating the disea. It's like saying we're improving - we only lost 20  Nil this week compared with 40 - nil the previous week.

So after 3-4 weeks of lockdown and many more weeks without football the head of the EFL has put out a statement to tell us they have nothing to tell us other than stay safe, football in struggling, nothing has been done to reduce the burden on any football club of the players wages and they don't know when football will be returning.

Wow Rick Parry has been busy - in the last 6 weeks other than appealing Birmingham's charges they have basically done next to nothing.

It does feel very much in this country the EFL and the FA could be gotten rid of because the only people who make decisions is the Premier league and everyone else follows them or they lose the scraps they get from the EPF.

Don’t really give monkeys in the current climate, ridiculous to try and play the remaining games out, cash is king though unfortunately, I love the game as much as anyone but if footballs the only thing a person have in their  life I honestly feel sorry them .

2 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

It will be so interesting to see how the money men in football justify running games behind closed doors.  My guess would be at an average EFL game it will need between 70-100 people to make it happen.  It's an absolute minimum of 41 if you strip it back to just 2 squads, 3 officials and 2 managers.  So how are they going to safeguard those people in regards to social distancing?

Even when we do open up the lockdown there will still be strict social distancing measures in place.  

IMO you'd have to test every single person who's involved in the behind closed doors games, and their families.  And not until you have 100% negative results can you allow it to happen.  Can you imagine if one squad suddenly gets COVID?  How will the authorities then react when they have to isolate for 2 weeks?  Void their games?  Postpone?  It's an absolute mine field.

And then if the government do allow football to happen like this, you'll have Rugby, Horse Racing, Cricket and every other sport wanting to do exactly the same.  It's just unworkable.

How does social distancing work in the technical area or the subs bench??

1 hour ago, scram said:

And imagine the resources needed at the game/venue/location where Leeds can seal promotion/title?

Ditto Liverpool sealing the PL title?

There will need to be medical presence at each venue - that's mandatory

It will be fraught with difficulty even behind closed doors

You will get 100's of 'TrueFans' going to the ground anyway,  pi$$ed up, singing causing mischief. Won't matter what's at stake.

Also, does mean the play offs and the play off final will be behind closed doors? Yeah good luck with that. 

The resources involved in doing this will be mind boggling.  Somehow they have to find a way to end the football season now. God knows how, but discussions with all clubs need to be had.

Guest Bulgaria
25 minutes ago, striker said:

If I cant go to the game, why the fizz would I give a throw about a glorified training match held in secret?

I bet you would if the owls needed a win to get promotion.

My bottom dollar would be bet on the majority in here wanting the season restarted at some point if we were on for automatic promotion.

The season has to end at some point. Its the only fair decision to make. My guess is that it will be played behind closed doors, it already seems that is the plan.

Regarding the out of contract players...... I really don't have an answer for that one.

They'll try to say a football game is a 'workplace' and therefore, with social distancing measures, the staff should be able to do their 'jobs'. The problem is, it's not a workplace, other than the administration offices, physio areas etc,.

How can players play a game of football with a 2m social distancing and PPE use as the government rules?

I see this as the first attempt to lobby the government to make football a 'special case'.

I hope the government say no.

Guest Willow Owl

And whilst we are unfortunately without the presence of the hundreds of thousands of supporters who pass through EFL turnstiles each week, we will endeavour to bring live football direct into your homes once it returns. Plans are continuing to be worked up for all games to be broadcast either via our broadcast partners, iFollow or equivalent Club streaming services.

In other words If we can get a great deal from sky to pay for games in to our homes  then who needs supporters at the ground. Fans will then probably need to subscribe to a new channel.

2 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

It will be so interesting to see how the money men in football justify running games behind closed doors.  My guess would be at an average EFL game it will need between 70-100 people to make it happen.  It's an absolute minimum of 41 if you strip it back to just 2 squads, 3 officials and 2 managers.  So how are they going to safeguard those people in regards to social distancing?

Even when we do open up the lockdown there will still be strict social distancing measures in place.  

IMO you'd have to test every single person who's involved in the behind closed doors games, and their families.  And not until you have 100% negative results can you allow it to happen.  Can you imagine if one squad suddenly gets COVID?  How will the authorities then react when they have to isolate for 2 weeks?  Void their games?  Postpone?  It's an absolute mine field.

And then if the government do allow football to happen like this, you'll have Rugby, Horse Racing, Cricket and every other sport wanting to do exactly the same.  It's just unworkable.

Excellent post.

Let's say 50 people at each game because they will need physios as we as you 'minimum.' that's 1200 tests for every game nearly 11000 tests just for the Championship. to finish the season. Call it 40,000 to finish the Premiership and FL games. Seems a waste of scarce testing capacity.

2 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

I haven’t missed football one bit tbh.  It can stay ‘on pause’ for another year for me.

The whole football industry’s congested calendar has become so over-saturated.

Once upon a time, football used to be an escape from the daily grind.  Nowadays, it has become part of that daily grind.

And as a Wednesday fan, I certainly don’t miss the feeling of being 3-0 down at half-time.  A situation we have become accustomed to under the hapless Monk.

This sums it up perfectly for me (except the monk bit, not really arse d tbh).     

55 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

They'll make money from TV presumably, or at the very least won't have to refund ST holders. And if the price of PL financial support is finishing the season then sadly so be it. If the EFL clubs don't want to finish the season but are forced to against their will with no financial benefit at all then I would be against it - not that my opinion matters of course.  I'm not wildly for one or the other - it's just the rants that annoy me. Which they shouldn't but for some reason they do - regardless of the fact that I'm clearly swimming against the tide.  Mind you the vast majority of people loved Chansiri once and I was right then......

How will they make money from TV?  There is a contract in place.  And the last time I checked my ST wasn't for a game broadcast in to my front room so I'm pretty sure there would be grounds for refund there (not saying I want it back).  There's a reason attendances are lower for televised games and that's because you can watch a game on TV for £10 (or less) that costs £30+ in person.  Clubs are still having to pay players (even though they aren't working).  Games behind closed doors will lead to further outgoing on wages (bonuses etc.) when there are no incomings.  What are the EFL doing for clubs who are already struggling after 6 weeks of no income and still full outgoings on player wages?  What are they doing about the issue of contracts running out at the end of June, it appears they are just going to make clubs play with no players just to get the season done and presumably fulfil a contract somewhere down the line.

49 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I watched one of the FIFA games played by the lad representing Wednesday recently. It was surprisingly gripping  - with fake crowd noises of course.

Weirdly I watched it and couldn't have been less engaged.  I watched the eF1 races though and they were great.  They had live commentary and dynamic cameras, it was much better.

Just not bothered...

22 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

How will they make money from TV?  There is a contract in place.  And the last time I checked my ST wasn't for a game broadcast in to my front room so I'm pretty sure there would be grounds for refund there (not saying I want it back).  There's a reason attendances are lower for televised games and that's because you can watch a game on TV for £10 (or less) that costs £30+ in person.  Clubs are still having to pay players (even though they aren't working).  Games behind closed doors will lead to further outgoing on wages (bonuses etc.) when there are no incomings.  What are the EFL doing for clubs who are already struggling after 6 weeks of no income and still full outgoings on player wages?  What are they doing about the issue of contracts running out at the end of June, it appears they are just going to make clubs play with no players just to get the season done and presumably fulfil a contract somewhere down the line.

Weirdly I watched it and couldn't have been less engaged.  I watched the eF1 races though and they were great.  They had live commentary and dynamic cameras, it was much better.

The EFL are the clubs. Do you know - I don't know the answers to your questions. Ask the clubs. They're the ones who want to play the games. What I do know is they'll play if they can, they won't if they can't. I don't think they're any worse villains over this than the vast majority of businesses in the country which are planning for the resumption of trading whenever that might be. I'm actually not that worked up about it.  Like I say chill. We'll see what develops - my hunch is that the practical difficulties will make resumption not possible. I just don't blame them for trying. Nothing has been lost. I'm sure they've thought about all the potential obstacles - it won't be some chuff off Owlstalk who will unlock the door or uniquely see the flaws in their plans.  

And although I don't get worked up about negs my statement about Chansiri and away fans reflected exactly what he said. 

10 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I’m not reading all that, Rick, sorry.

I wouldn't either tbh. The ramblings of an inconsequential football fan.  Oops I thought you meant me!

Edited by rickygoo

“Hi Rick Parry again,

Since my previous statement there are certain factors that have come to our attention that we need to urgently address.

Although not corroborated by the W.H.O and other members of the scientific fraternity throughout the world that were 100% certain of its origins, a report from a renowned academic at one of the North West’s leading Universities has unearthed incontrovertible evidence that the Covid 19 pandemic did not actually eminate from a Wuhan ‘wet market’ as first thought but did indeed, according to our esteemed academic, start at the home of SWFC.

Whilst we are not in the habit at the EFL of instigating kangaroo courts or indeed jumping to conclusions or God forbid reneging on previous written agreements, on this occasion, due to the absolute weight of evidence presented by our expert from the North West, it leaves us with no choice but to dock SWFC points for the next ten seasons, ban any dealings in the transfer market and impose a substantial fine, yet to be decided. 

We would like to point out this decision is not linked to any previous dealings between ourselves and SWFC but the fact they decided to contest our findings (even though they claim there is written approval from the EFL that validates their previous actions), did strongly count against them in these latest findings.

The geographical location of our ‘expert’ has no bearing on his findings. (Honest)!

It took a while but the cause of justice was duly satisfied which goes to show the EFL were absolutely justified in their pursuing of SWFC with all the vigour of the ‘law’.

I would hope this serves as a sound reminder to anyone in future who feels like contesting any decisions or actions initiated by the EFL.

Best regards

Rick 

Ps On another note, more fitting to my previous employment, although the season has been abandoned, it has been decided In the cause of justice & fairness that LFC will be crowned Premier League champions for the next three years.

• Haha 2