BREAKING NEWS - Club announcement from EFL

I don't see that even behind closed doors it can take place without risks. It's a contact sport. That needs to sink in. Until there's no risk at all, I just can't see it happening and neither should it. The next thing otherwise will be players catching it from each other during the game. It's an absolute no brainer. Why don't the EFL, Premier League, Uefa and Fifa take it's head from up it's own ass. So full of it's own importance as if it's the ONLY thing that matters. 

1 hour ago, Westfield Owl said:

I haven’t missed football one bit tbh.  It can stay ‘on pause’ for another year for me.

The whole football industry’s congested calendar has become so over-saturated.

Once upon a time, football used to be an escape from the daily grind.  Nowadays, it has become part of that daily grind.

And as a Wednesday fan, I certainly don’t miss the feeling of being 3-0 down at half-time.  A situation we have become accustomed to under the hapless Monk.

On the contrary. I've missed it so much. Its fantastic. It's poo without it. 

6 minutes ago, marshy said:

I don't see that even behind closed doors it can take place without risks. It's a contact sport. That needs to sink in. Until there's no risk at all, I just can't see it happening and neither should it. The next thing otherwise will be players catching it from each other during the game. It's an absolute no brainer. Why don't the EFL, Premier League, Uefa and Fifa take it's head from up it's own ass. So full of it's own importance as if it's the ONLY thing that matters. 

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Just not bothered...

Next season is the problem they should be looking at.

- Will people be able to go.

- just the healthy and young?
- Will travelling to away games be possibly?
- What happens if a club can’t play fixtures due to the staff being locked down due to an outbreak.
- What if there is another full UK lockdown in November/ December?

With all these questions and uncertainties what contracts can chairman give out this summer?

How can any recruitment be done?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Two big things old Ricky boy seems to have missed:

The premier league are suggesting it has to be done by June 30th or not at all due to player contracts, kit and sponsorship deals which just become too difficult to sort after that date.

The scottish leagues (all of them bar the SPL) have voted to end the leagues as they stand. 

mean while the EFL waffle and pontificate. 

Less of the old please.

I'm not missing anything. They'll finish it if they can. They won't if they can't. Contractual issues, social distancing, medical issues, public order issues are all part of the decision making process. Most leagues in Europe are still in abeyance - we aren't unique. It will play out as it plays out. It's the sanctimonious pontificating that gets up my nose - especially from fans of our club, a club that has stuck it up less well off supporters recently with precious little dissent. To many Wednesday supporters other fans didn't matter then. 

Football clubs are just like any other business at the moment - many clubs will be fighting simply to survive. I think that's the most important factor to take into account when making decisions and without access to the reality of what's happening financially it's impossible for us to say what's best. However, if it is best financially for them to finish the season  - and it seems that is the case bearing in mind their determination to finish it - and, crucially, that can be done safely then I think that's what they should try to do. They simply aren't going to breach Government guidelines to play.

Sporting integrity was compromised to some extent the minute games were cancelled. There's no way, for example, Leeds will run out of steam now. But again it's best the season is finished. A short burst of games might be the only thing possible until restrictions are reintroduced. Until it's believed to be impossible I have no problem with them trying to achieve it. If they're sensible they'll also be making plans for the season not being completed.  

I just happen to think it's not a black or white thing - that if you want the season to continue you're an evil, money grabber, disrespecting the dead and the NHS etc. It's far more nuanced than that.  Yes football has been terribly run to the advantage of the big boys - although some on here with plans for a PL2 are happy to jettison the smaller clubs into even more oblivion - but this may be an existential crisis for many, many clubs and they have to pilot the best way through it they can. Just have a bit of patience. We don't need to know the season is over or it isn't. It doesn't affect us at all - although a ST partial refund would be quite handy. If football decided to void the league today my life would literally be no different. There's no rush. Take a chill pill. 

20 minutes ago, marshy said:

So full of it's own importance as if it's the ONLY thing that matters. 

When have they ever said that?

I got an email from my business outlining plans to resume if and when restrictions are lifted. Should I have replied that they were outrageous for making plans to restart business, full of their own importance as if they were the only thing that matters? 

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

When have they ever said that?

I got an email from my business outlining plans to resume if and when restrictions are lifted. Should I have replied that they were outrageous for making plans to restart business, full of their own importance as if they were the only thing that matters? 

Is the plan that they'll reopen without any customers placing orders or being able to consume the products?

You'll have to go in to the office and work for 8 hours for no material output?

Tell me, how do EFL clubs make any money by playing games behind closed doors?

The ONLY reason it's being suggested is so they can stay in line with the EPL who don't care if fans turn up because it's not where their money comes from.

Just not bothered...

Pointless, longwinded guff from an organisation that likes to hear the sound of their own voice.

Football isn't football without fans, simple as that for me. 

I dont want to be a financial afterthought, its sport, but also entertainment and think people, particularly at the EFL forget that.

Keep stamping your feet Parry, thinking you can continue operating in a bubble, but the EFL dont control this situation and behind closed doors games not a solution. 

If I cant go to the game, why the fizz would I give a throw about a glorified training match held in secret?

1 hour ago, Westfield Owl said:

I haven’t missed football one bit tbh.  It can stay ‘on pause’ for another year for me.

The whole football industry’s congested calendar has become so over-saturated.

Once upon a time, football used to be an escape from the daily grind.  Nowadays, it has become part of that daily grind.

And as a Wednesday fan, I certainly don’t miss the feeling of being 3-0 down at half-time.  A situation we have become accustomed to under the hapless Monk.

About 15 years ago baseball players went on strike in the.MLB which some clubs attendances are still suffering from. Fans realised there were other things they could do rather than attend games. It will be interesting to see how this stoppage affects football.

Edited by darra

48 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

If football did not have crowds it would be better watching paint dry. Take the fans from the game and its dead.

Need to stop faffing and end the season, make plans for next  season to start late in the year or beginning January depending.

There is no point to football without crowds. End of.

Correct. Void the season, start next season when we can. If they try behind closed doors, what if one player tests positive. That team can't play for a fortnight, what happens to their fixtures?

2 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Is the plan that they'll reopen without any customers placing orders or being able to consume the products?

You'll have to go in to the office and work for 8 hours for no material output?

Tell me, how do EFL clubs make any money by playing games behind closed doors?

The ONLY reason it's being suggested is so they can stay in line with the EPL who don't care if fans turn up because it's not where their money comes from.

They'll make money from TV presumably, or at the very least won't have to refund ST holders. And if the price of PL financial support is finishing the season then sadly so be it. If the EFL clubs don't want to finish the season but are forced to against their will with no financial benefit at all then I would be against it - not that my opinion matters of course.  I'm not wildly for one or the other - it's just the rants that annoy me. Which they shouldn't but for some reason they do - regardless of the fact that I'm clearly swimming against the tide.  Mind you the vast majority of people loved Chansiri once and I was right then......

41 minutes ago, Plonk said:

The scottish leagues (all of them bar the SPL) have voted to end the leagues as they stand. 

mean while the EFL waffle and pontificate. 

You can’t compare the Scottish leagues without the SPL with the EFL

Chesterfield Sunday league announced the end of the season long before the Scottish announcement....that’s a more appropriate comparison 

8 minutes ago, striker said:

Keep stamping your feet Parry

If all the clubs tell him they want to finish the season - and at the moment that's what they seem to want to do  - he will have to do more than stamp his feet to change the policy. 

1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

It will be so interesting to see how the money men in football justify running games behind closed doors.  My guess would be at an average EFL game it will need between 70-100 people to make it happen.  It's an absolute minimum of 41 if you strip it back to just 2 squads, 3 officials and 2 managers.  So how are they going to safeguard those people in regards to social distancing?

Our defence have been practicing social distancing for months...this could play right in to our hands when the opposition have to try and keep away from our forwards from a standing start and we are already the worlds masters at it

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Well I for one can't wait to stream some socially-distanced football action...

1880186572_SimpsonsFootball.gif.a4f2e2d3aeef0c558321d7baf0c6d8fc.gif

Seriously though, the idea of behind closed doors matches just confirms what we already knew: the fans don't matter anymore. If that happens, I think I might just be done with football.

I watched one of the FIFA games played by the lad representing Wednesday recently. It was surprisingly gripping  - with fake crowd noises of course.