BREAKING NEWS - Club announcement from EFL

Even a single round of games behind closed doors (a recognition in itself of the inherent risk) would involve thousands of people all across the country when you consider factors such as facilities, accommodation, transport, officiating, equipment, medical support etc. Given what we know about the infection and it's transmission (including many of those carrying it having no idea they are doing so), at what point can we realistically put on games without threat, and therefore, by definition, risking lives? Some of the worst estimates are speculating distancing measures dragging on to some degree for 12-18 months.

52 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Even a single round of games behind closed doors (a recognition in itself of the inherent risk) would involve thousands of people all across the country when you consider factors such as facilities, accommodation, transport, officiating, equipment, medical support etc. Given what we know about the infection and it's transmission (including many of those carrying it having no idea they are doing so), at what point can we realistically put on games without threat, and therefore, by definition, risking lives? Some of the worst estimates are speculating distancing measures dragging on to some degree for 12-18 months.

That isn’t just football. It’s virtually every industry in the country you’re talking about. And every industry will be making plans to restart when the strict lockdown period ends. Even the Germans have plans and they are not idiots. Stop getting your panties in a twist and let’s see how it all pans out. They’ll restart if they can. They won’t if they can’t. There’s no rush to decide anything. If your worries have total validity it’ll all take care of itself. 

Just now, rickygoo said:

That isn’t just football. It’s virtually every industry in the country you’re talking about. And every industry will be making plans to restart when the strict lockdown period ends. Even the Germans have plans and they are not idiots. Stop getting your panties in a twist and let’s see how it all pans out. They’ll restart if they can. They won’t if they can’t. There’s no rush to decide anything. If your worries have total validity it’ll all take care of itself. 

The idea that people are getting hysterical seems to be a device purely for you to position yourself as the voice of reason. Repeatedly standing up straw men to be knocked down. Some of the stuff you quote I've explicitly addressed multiple times as being in broad agreement with you.

I'm just pointing out that their schedule is wildly optimistic and likely motivated by things nothing to do with public safety. No calls for public floggings or campaigns for anyone to be imprisoned.

35 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I'm just pointing out that their schedule is wildly optimistic and likely motivated by things nothing to do with public safety

In which case we can one day bump elbows and nod in agreement.

The motivation thing doesn’t bother me so much. Football hasn’t been pure since the 19th Century sadly. The company I work for isn’t totally dominated by public safety either. They want to get back in business. That’s the prime motivation. To keep people in employment and do a job we love doing. But of course we will follow the government guidelines rigidly.

I’m sure football is in the same boat. Players want to play. Managers want to manage.  They want to get back down to it. But if the Government says they can’t - and they have explicitly said everything depends on Government restrictions - they won’t. In the meantime it’s their job to plan for a resumption. I’m sure they know there are many, many hurdles to clear before things restart.

Stay safe. You’re a good poster. Thoughtful and intelligent.

Just now, rickygoo said:

In which case we can one day bump elbows and nod in agreement.

The motivation thing doesn’t bother me so much. Football hasn’t been pure since the 19th Century sadly. The company I work for isn’t totally dominated by public safety either. They want to get back in business. That’s the prime motivation. To keep people in employment and do a job we love doing. But of course we will follow the government guidelines rigidly.

I’m sure football is in the same boat. Players want to play. Managers want to manage.  They want to get back down to it. But if the Government says they can’t - and they have explicitly said everything depends on Government restrictions - they won’t. In the meantime it’s their job to plan for a resumption. I’m sure they know there are many, many hurdles to clear before things restart.

Stay safe. You’re a good poster. Thoughtful and intelligent.

There really isn't that much dividing our opinions it seems to me. Pragmatism is very much my philosophy. We certainly should not be in direct opposition. The post above I can't take issue with; especially the last bit. :biggrin: Sadly, football has been shabby in many ways for a very long time.

I appreciate that everyone wants to get back to normal obviously, especially where people's livelihoods are at stake. And I'm sure there will come a time when other businesses start trying to push for restrictions to be lifted before they should. But at the moment, football seems to be quite unique in that it is doing so in a way that is so distanced from the reality of the situation, to deadlines that it's placing too much emphasis on and that it can't hope to meet in any case.

It will be interesting to see what happens in places where some relaxation of lockdown is beginning. From what I have seen, I don't see how a second wave of large scale infections can be avoided. And unless a vaccination can be delivered much quicker than scientists believe is likely, who knows how long it will be before we can return to something like the way things were just a few weeks ago?

3 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

football seems to be quite unique in that it is doing so in a way that is so distanced from the reality of the situation, to deadlines that it's placing too much emphasis on and that it can't hope to meet in any case.

To be fair those deadlines they say are subject to Government guidelines. And we simply don’t know what plans Thomas Cook, John Lewis and Nando’s etc are making because it isn’t news in the same way football is, plus they don’t have the same June 30 contract deadline that may stop the season being completed. That means the EFL needs a tentative- if unlikely - plan in place to do what the clubs voted for.  I think they’re arseholes generally but in this they’re being sensible.  We won’t fight each other over it though. 

If the powers that be within the footballing fraternity continue to push their self importance, they are going to alienate the very people who they need most

Yes make contingency plans but use a bit of common sense and take a dose of reality whilst doing so

• Like 2

5 hours ago, happy bunny said:

If the powers that be within the footballing fraternity continue to push their self importance, they are going to alienate the very people who they need most

Yes make contingency plans but use a bit of common sense and take a dose of reality whilst doing so

Exactly this.  And it's this that's missing from the whole thing.  They seem to be blithely unaware of the realities of the situation and just keep pushing an agenda of "nothing to see here, it's all in hand" when in reality they are as much in limbo as everyone else.

It's the real feeling of self importance that really grates with me though.  The football authorities keep using terms like "give a boost to the nation" like that's even crossed their mind.  It's all about ££££££££££££££ and that's fine, it's a business.  But the implication that they are any more important than any other is what sticks in the throat.  I'm pretty sure the nation will survive without football for a year or two if that's what's needed.  

• Like 1

Just not bothered...