BREAKING NEWS - Club announcement from EFL

22 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

It will be so interesting to see how the money men in football justify running games behind closed doors.  My guess would be at an average EFL game it will need between 70-100 people to make it happen.  It's an absolute minimum of 41 if you strip it back to just 2 squads, 3 officials and 2 managers.  So how are they going to safeguard those people in regards to social distancing?

Even when we do open up the lockdown there will still be strict social distancing measures in place.  

IMO you'd have to test every single person who's involved in the behind closed doors games, and their families.  And not until you have 100% negative results can you allow it to happen.  Can you imagine if one squad suddenly gets COVID?  How will the authorities then react when they have to isolate for 2 weeks?  Void their games?  Postpone?  It's an absolute mine field.

And then if the government do allow football to happen like this, you'll have Rugby, Horse Racing, Cricket and every other sport wanting to do exactly the same.  It's just unworkable.

What part of -

"a number of factors – including when, where and within what timeframe fixtures will be played – must be given careful consideration in line with Government advice. Similar factors must also be taken into account when agreeing an approach towards player training and testing, not least the appropriate level of medical resource and creation of an effective and efficient medical matchday protocol."

- is hard to understand?

It depends what roles people are playing. There are millions of people still working round the country - not everyone is sitting at home with the monk on.  Just chill - it'll happen when it can. Until then it won't.  Go and get worked up about something more important.

😉

24 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

It will be so interesting to see how the money men in football justify running games behind closed doors.  My guess would be at an average EFL game it will need between 70-100 people to make it happen.  It's an absolute minimum of 41 if you strip it back to just 2 squads, 3 officials and 2 managers.  So how are they going to safeguard those people in regards to social distancing?

Even when we do open up the lockdown there will still be strict social distancing measures in place.  

IMO you'd have to test every single person who's involved in the behind closed doors games, and their families.  And not until you have 100% negative results can you allow it to happen.  Can you imagine if one squad suddenly gets COVID?  How will the authorities then react when they have to isolate for 2 weeks?  Void their games?  Postpone?  It's an absolute mine field.

And then if the government do allow football to happen like this, you'll have Rugby, Horse Racing, Cricket and every other sport wanting to do exactly the same.  It's just unworkable.

And imagine the resources needed at the game/venue/location where Leeds can seal promotion/title?

Ditto Liverpool sealing the PL title?

There will need to be medical presence at each venue - that's mandatory

It will be fraught with difficulty even behind closed doors

10 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

What part of -

"a number of factors – including when, where and within what timeframe fixtures will be played – must be given careful consideration in line with Government advice. Similar factors must also be taken into account when agreeing an approach towards player training and testing, not least the appropriate level of medical resource and creation of an effective and efficient medical matchday protocol."

- is hard to understand?

It depends what roles people are playing. There are millions of people still working round the country - not everyone is sitting at home with the monk on.  Just chill - it'll happen when it can. Until then it won't.  Go and get worked up about something more important.

😉

Me included.  In a factory making pharmaceutical packaging.  A factory that has had to alter it's ways of working to take social distancing into account.  One that has had to devise new and novel ways of working, including setting up home offices for around 50 people just at my site.  For a company that has just had to shut a site in the USA for deep cleaning because 6 people have been diagnosed with COVID.  A company where the directors have taken a 20% pay cut and suspended the share dividend for the year, along with removing the pay review for 2020 for all employees.  

The part that's hard to understand is why they've released a statement that says nothing but suggests they are working towards forcing players and staff into situations that aren't safe for them or their families simply because there's money on the line.

As it stands, the scientific advice is that social distancing is the only weapon we have until a vaccine is created (or herd immunity takes over).  How in your own mind or from that statement do you suggest you socially distance, whilst playing football?

How do you move teams around the country, house and feed them, train, set up viewing platforms for fans, broadcast and play games, with social distancing in place for all involved?

Just not bothered...

2 minutes ago, scram said:

And UEFA cannot do anything about contracts expiring in just over 2 months

Exactly so, we restart the season in July and Wednesday have about 10 full time pros on the books.  How does that work?

All because nobody wants to make the hard decision that everyone can see is the only way forward.  End the season and come up with a concrete plan on what to do to start the next one if/when the situation allows.

Just not bothered...

We need to form an EPL 2 and leave the EFL.

Just for starters:

Leeds

Wednesday

Forest

Derby

West Brom

Brum

Bristol City

QPR

Sunderland

Portsmouth

Middlesborough though can stay in the EFL enjoying their parachute payments while they last

1 hour ago, scram said:

I could have written the tangible points of that statement in just a few words

"we are going to resume the season without crowds - suck it up"

If football did not have crowds it would be better watching paint dry. Take the fans from the game and its dead.

Need to stop faffing and end the season, make plans for next  season to start late in the year or beginning January depending.

There is no point to football without crowds. End of.

Shouldn't be played behind closed doors in my opinion. They will still medical staff. Also no way are Leeds and Liverpool fans going to stay indoors if they win their leagues. Fans will be in and around the stadium or celebrating on the streets.

1 minute ago, Asio otus said:

If football did not have crowds it would be better watching paint dry. Take the fans from the game and its dead.

Need to stop faffing and end the season, make plans for next  season to start late in the year or beginning January depending.

There is no point to football without crowds. End of.

Couldn't agree more.  There are lots of creative solutions for future seasons that need to be put in place for plan a, b, c and d.  But you can't reasonably bring the current season to an end with the measures in place as they are and for the foreseeable.

Call a halt to the season (league as it stands or just void it) then come up with ideas on how to start the next one dependent on when the situation allows.

There are too many moving parts to get the current one done (particularly around player contracts).

Just not bothered...

There’s no way this season can finish. They’re only dragging it out to do the right things contractually with players, TV et al. There will come a time where they can say because of the amount of time that has passed and in-line with government guidelines, the season has to end. They simply can’t say that today or they would be damned if they do and damned if they don’t and not saying it today is the lesser of all evils. 

56 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

I haven’t missed football one bit tbh.  It can stay ‘on pause’ for another year for me.

The whole football industry’s congested calendar has become so over-saturated.

Once upon a time, football used to be an escape from the daily grind.  Nowadays, it has become part of that daily grind.

And as a Wednesday fan, I certainly don’t miss the feeling of being 3-0 down at half-time.  A situation we have become accustomed to under the hapless Monk.

Everyone to their own but I'm missing it like bloody hell, not just the football but meeting up with friends for pre match chat and drinks. 

I'm missing my kids and grandkids more but this is one thing I am missing. 

• Like 1

Step up and make a call. This season is done.

Games on tv will attracted fans to watch together.

Games create a social distance risks.

~ What if some staff are over 65, the managers even.

Games returning will encourage people to go to the park and play.

The EFL needs to concentrate on saving clubs and deciding if and how next season can go ahead.

Im missing pubs restaurants and cafes far more than football.

It's those places I'm looking forward to opening.

And football behind closed doors clearly isnt about us fans who go to the games.

Its about sky and the press and the premier clubs income streams.

So fxxx off with your cliches Parry. Its NOT about the fans safety.

21 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Me included.  In a factory making pharmaceutical packaging.  A factory that has had to alter it's ways of working to take social distancing into account.  One that has had to devise new and novel ways of working, including setting up home offices for around 50 people just at my site.  For a company that has just had to shut a site in the USA for deep cleaning because 6 people have been diagnosed with COVID.  A company where the directors have taken a 20% pay cut and suspended the share dividend for the year, along with removing the pay review for 2020 for all employees.  

The part that's hard to understand is why they've released a statement that says nothing but suggests they are working towards forcing players and staff into situations that aren't safe for them or their families simply because there's money on the line.

As it stands, the scientific advice is that social distancing is the only weapon we have until a vaccine is created (or herd immunity takes over).  How in your own mind or from that statement do you suggest you socially distance, whilst playing football?

How do you move teams around the country, house and feed them, train, set up viewing platforms for fans, broadcast and play games, with social distancing in place for all involved?

Let's wait and see what the Government advice is. They will abide by it - no question at all. They won't force players into doing something the Government deems unsafe as the lockdown regulations are relaxed. It's hysterical nonsense to suggest they will.

Now whether you think this mob are capable of putting into place clear, safe rules is of course another matter but then it won't just be football that is put into an invidious position and in which case you're still tilting at the wrong target. It'll be every business in the country that will be vulnerable or at fault - you choose which is the appropriate description. 

Two big things old Ricky boy seems to have missed:

The premier league are suggesting it has to be done by June 30th or not at all due to player contracts, kit and sponsorship deals which just become too difficult to sort after that date.

The scottish leagues (all of them bar the SPL) have voted to end the leagues as they stand. 

mean while the EFL waffle and pontificate.