BREAKING NEWS - Club announcement from EFL

3 hours ago, Bazza said:

Best value football ever could be in its way! My North Stand season ticket at the early bird price works out about £24 a game. Unless season ticket holders get some kind of partial refund then that’s an expensive cost to watch a streamed game played behind close doors! As my wife also has a ticket that’s £48 for me when a normal TV game costs around £10. Anyone with 4 or 5 season tickets in a household is paying a ludicrous amount! 

Not saying I want a refund but the EFL need to consider this as not all fans will be happy with the cost especially if the streams are opened up to none season tickets at about £10.

There's also the issue that a sizeable minority of season ticket or membership holders won't have the internet at home to factor in, as well. 

We have a fair few older supporters, and if they're anything like my grandparents, they won't go online.

1 hour ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Interesting that a global health expert is saying it’s unlikely that the rearranged Tokyo Olympic Games will be able to take place NEXT summer unless a vaccine has been found.

Hopefully we'll have one way before next summer, I read other day that trials are starting this week on one they've rushed through and if successful could be available widely by late summer this year. 

Edited by bradowl
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bradowl said:

Hopefully we'll have one way before next summer, I read other day that trials are starting this week on one they've rushed through and if successful could be available widely by late summer this year. 

I'll have you a £5 it won't be.

There's a very real possibility that we may never find a vaccine for this.  There are a number of other Coronaviruses that we don't have a vaccine for.  Like the common cold for instance.

Just not bothered...

On 17/04/2020 at 12:59, Buxtongent said:

Why don't these 'bosses' do what the newscasters should do, and take a sensibility pill. The simple answer is WE DON'T KNOW!!!

Hell. The virus is still wining the battle!  Death rates are still rising, simply not as fast. We are far from winning that battke yet. Maybe when rates start to fall we shall know or could start planning/

Reucing the rate of infections /deaths is not beating the disea. It's like saying we're improving - we only lost 20  Nil this week compared with 40 - nil the previous week.

I know it's a challenge filling a news channel that broadcasts 24 hours a day, but bloody hell the media coverage has been tiresome. Hours and hours of asking the same questions in different ways knowing full well that there are no new answers. And all whilst maintaining that sanctimonious, self-righteous, second-guessing arrogance of those who are not in the firing line.

Whilst I disagree with much of rickygoo's contrary position, he has made one good point that the football authorities may be going through the motions somewhat because of some of their formal obligations relating to contracts (advertising, broadcasting and players etc). But in the next few weeks it will be interesting to see how they react when it becomes clear that it will be impossible to complete the season's schedule to a practical timetable. The logistics and practicalities of playing games, plus the reality of the virus, it's consequences and management strategies mean that unless there is a minor miracle of vaccination on the horizon, completing the season is off the agenda probably for months yet. Their's is an unenviable position because there is no solution that doesn't come with enormous and prolonged problems.

6 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Good job that you alone are keeping an appropriate perspective in this thread and not getting emotional and pious like everyone else.

:dry:

It’s not a deliberately contrary position to think they should plan to finish the season if they can. And at the same time work out how it might be possible to resume football if - as is highly likely - it’s impossible to finish this season. 

15 minutes ago, scram said:

My guess is that this season will be completed (or at least attempted to be) by the end of June

I think the football authorities realise the insurmountable problems of trying to carry "this season" beyond June 30th

If that estimate of 56 days required to complete the season is accurate, it would have to resume by May 6th. It's often stated that we are 3-4 weeks behind the schedule of Italy and as far as I'm aware they still have not set even a tentative date for resumption. So I think it's fair to say already that deadline is wishful thinking, to put it mildly.

6 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

It’s not a deliberately contrary position to think they should plan to finish the season if they can. And at the same time work out how it might be possible to resume football if - as is highly likely - it’s impossible to finish this season. 

I don't have a problem with that at all. It does seem like the least worst answer. But the league seem oblivious to some of the realities of the situation and I'm concerned at what their primary considerations are.

If we were back in the 50's, an earlier hayday for English football, and this virus had occurred so that people couldn't attend games....

well I wonder how it would have been handled? With no TV there would obviously have been no suggestion of behind closed doors games.

And with no internet etc there would be no virtual meetings where all the interested parties could haggle. The chairman of the football league

would have made a couple of phone calls, made a decision, written to each club and that would be that. So soon after the war nobody would

complain about what was and wasn't fair either.

56 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Why is it so important to you that this season is finished..............nobody else on this forum seems to care

Just now, happy bunny said:

Why is it so important to you that this season is finished..............nobody else on this forum seems to care

I think it’s for the best. Neatest. Best for the sport. I’m not that bothered - I just think the rants about the league being disrespectful of the dead etc are a bit hysterical. I don’t think they’re doing owt wrong.

I also think there’s an element of hypocrisy. If we were like Leeds and we were top of the Championship we’d want the season to be completed - just like Leeds high prices were an outrage until we started charging more and then that rant disappeared. 

As long as they’re planning for all eventualities I don’t think there’s any pressure to call the season off now. It won’t make my life any better other than mean I will be wanting a refund for the games I haven’t been able to watch. 

7 minutes ago, happy bunny said:

And if you’re implying it’s about Liverpool then it isn’t. If they win the League with no fans there I’m guessing that will be a real anti-climax for them. It would be like us winning our League Cup in an empty stadium. It’s much more significant for Leeds West Brom Leicester etc because there’s much more riding on it in terms of next season.