Player you loved that not many did

3 hours ago, toppOwl said:

Marc Degryse, good player with a return of goals from midfield that we’d kill for now, I was disappointed when he moved on.

he was popular though so doesn’t really fit in this scenario.

56 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Highly controversial but Leon Clarke had a really good spell for us at one point. Not my favourite player but chipped in with a few goals around 08/09.

Not disagreeing but Michael gray was quite damning about Leon and other players in a undrthecosh podcast. 

23 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

4.  Steve Nicol. Was still a tidy footballer when we had him.

this is a good one because his signing was seen as an indication of our demise at the time but he was actually very good.

his debut away at Everton was excellent.

17 minutes ago, hirstysboots said:

Grant Holt, I got dog’s abuse from everyone around me on the Kop when I said I really liked him. He turned out being just the player Wednesdayites would have worshipped. 

Showed plenty of potential but was sold to soon without being given the opportunity to develope into a top class striker with us.

Big mistake by Chris Turner (?), given the chance I'm sure he would have gone on to fill your username. lol

Garry Thompson

One of the toughest looking players we've ever had, even his muscles had muscles. Did loads of work, but unfortunately just didn't score anywhere near as many goals as he was expected to (think he was a club record signing at the time, and was unfair compared to Varadi who he replaced in the squad).

But in his sole season here we finished 5th in the League, our 2nd highest finish in the last 59 years, and got to the FA Cup semi so he can't have been that bad. 

3 minutes ago, Avon barksdale said:

Not sure he was under rated but I loved watching Steven Maclean, he was more than just a goal grabber. Possibly still playing and scoring  as well,  I know he was last season 

We should be forever grateful for him coming off the bench and scoring that penalty at Cardiff. Ten minutes from the end in front of 40,000+ dee-dahs - cool as you like!

He had some great games, too. At Chesterfield when we won 3-1, he had the home side's defence in knots and scored a couple. I think he even got booked when it was someone else's fault!

42 minutes ago, hirstysboots said:

Grant Holt, I got dog’s abuse from everyone around me on the Kop when I said I really liked him. He turned out being just the player Wednesdayites would have worshipped. 

Good shout, one player we shouldn't have let go, from same era I remember Chris Brunt receiving some abuse from a few fans, I never understood why because he's one of best we've had since premier league days. 

9 hours ago, cowl said:

One player I really rated and was surprised he never really made it as a player was Patrick Collins.

Agree. 

Richard Evans from Birmingham, came same time as Brunt if I recall correctly, thogught he looked decent. 

I used to like Lee Peacock and Deon Burton who weren't always the most popular