Player you loved that not many did

7 hours ago, 0114 said:

Tom Lees. Having a terrible season absolutely no doubt about it. But never seems to get any credit from us, has played over 200 games and been at the heart of twice matching the club clean sheets record and 2 play off campaigns. For a player who cost us next to nothing he’s been a fantastic signing just never been a player that won the fans over. 

But when you compare him with other players that have played that many games for us he has never played too flight football.

compare him to Des Walker, Peter Atherton, Nigel Pearson all were just better and more consistent.

not as far back Miguel Liera, a less player but just better in every department. Looven of 5 years ago, Lees could not tie his boots.

lees for me is good along side someone better more experience or a born leader, but he is never a leader himself and the biggest mistake we made was making him captain. He has been crap ever since.

Make Borner captain and we might see Lees form improve.

• Thanks 1

I think he was fairly well-liked (especially after scoring the winner against the pigs) so possibly not the right thread, but I thought Steve Watson was brilliant for us. No pace at all but such a classy, intelligent player and, by all accounts, a great personality to have around the club. He’s in charge of York now and had them top of the National League North before the season was postponed... could be a coach to keep an eye out for

1 minute ago, beswetherick said:

I think he was fairly well-liked (especially after scoring the winner against the pigs) so possibly not the right thread, but I thought Steve Watson was brilliant for us. No pace at all but such a classy, intelligent player and, by all accounts, a great personality to have around the club. He’s in charge of York now and had them top of the National League North before the season was postponed... could be a coach to keep an eye out 

Very clever footballer. 

1 hour ago, JOHNHARKES said:

Big Steve Howard 

A player we left it far far too long to sign, not sure he was hated by many when he was here though 

Richard Hinds

A very steady defender that did a decent job for us

Granted he wasn't world class but given the money we were spending etc, he was a very good transfer. A decent lower league championship/top end league one defender

I'll also add Burton O'Brien to this list as well. Again, no where near as bad as many made him out to be

11 hours ago, rickygoo said:

Orlando Trustfull - amazing in the the pre-match and half time warm ups!  Seemed very talented. 

Goals from Trustfull and O'Neill Donaldson!

Never know why Trustfull didn't get more games, perhaps he couldn't be relied upon :-)

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, markg said:

Mark Pembridge.

Thought he was a very good player and was surprised to find years later that not many people liked him.

I liked Pembo too, he had his limitations but he did make some fantastic assists in his time here. Had a sweet left foot on the volley too which added to his goal tally.

55 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Because Sgt Bilko only ever played him on the left and he couldn't cross with his left foot.

Chamberlain had that same trick as Waddle, where he could accurately cross a ball without beating his man, but as you say, only from the right