Player you loved that not many did

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Richard Cresswell and Simon Donnelly.

Yep to both, and also Phil Scott. The delusional gap between how I thought we'd do in mid 1999 and the following 12 months was co(s)mically vast...

James O’Connor - zero skill and minimal talent but would have run through brick walls for this club. Good leader. Was WILLING that overhead kick to go in. His time at Wednesday probably hindered by playing next to Darren Potter too many times.

Graham Coughlan & Graeme Lee. Both old school centre halves. Loved Coughlan ever since that game he got concussed and tried to carry on. Lee chipped in with a few crucial goals and his time with us was hampered by injury.

Grant Holt - to this day I’m adamant that 9 year old me saw what Chris Turner couldnt. I really liked him.

Adam Proudlock & Leon Clarke - I’ll throw both of these in the same bucket of ‘what could have been with a better attitude towards their career. Both were very talented goalscorers when they could be bothered. I also remember thinking that Proudlock’s blue mohawk was the coolest thing ever. Am I right in remembering that Proudlock scored four against Barnsley at home but two were ruled out by the ref? He also had a fantastic game away to Bristol City in the promotion season. Clarke was very strong and his goal against Palace optimised what he COULD do.   

19 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

I remember being desperate for Jeremy Helan to do well with us, he had so many physical gifts that you just felt like a good run to boost his confidence would be enough to make him a top player at this level. Sadly he never quite got there.

Julian Börner is heading into this sort of territory for me. I accept he had a dodgy spell after Christmas (along with the rest of the team) but I love how committed he is, he really would run through brick walls to get us a win.

Never understood the hate towards Jeremy Helen. When he came here he was excellent and gave us so much needed pace. Was brilliant during his loan spell and fans were very happy when he signed a permanent deal. Went on to have about 100 appearances for the club in his time. 

Started to lose it at the end of his time with us but he could have come in useful as a sub the following season when we had no pace at all. 

Nowhere near an 'awful' player. 

Edited by poite

15 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

Guy Whittingham looked class at times too, not sure how popular he was or not? Doesn't seem to get mentioned among our better players in the 90s, when at times like Degryse he looked class and unstoppable.

He was a below average premier league striker who became an average to occasionally above average wide midfielder mainly because of a willingness to work hard.

was never class and certainly not unstoppable.

degryse was a very good player - more should have been done to keep him if possible.

20 minutes ago, poite said:

Never understood the hate towards Jeremy Helen. When he came here he was excellent and gave us so much needed pace. Was brilliant during his loan spell and fans were very happy when he signed a permanent deal. Went on to have about 100 appearances for the club in his time. 

Started to lose it at the end of his time with us but he could have come in useful as a sub the following season when we had no pace at all. 

Nowhere near an 'awful' player. 

I thought he was awful.

god awful.

terrible touch, couldn’t really pass or head the ball.

pace absolutely which got him out of trouble and occasionally allowed a bit of a surging run to get the crowd going but he would have been out of the game now even if he hadn’t packed up.

49 minutes ago, poite said:

Chris Maguire was a player I always liked. 

Same! Sort of player you hate when he plays against your team. 

When i think of him i always think of seeing an opponent get tackled and goes down too easy and screaming at him to "get up". Someone brushes against Maguire and he would go down like the scene from Platoon "F**king hell Ref he could have killed him!" 

• Haha 1

Steve Haslam. Always thought he could pass a ball, maybe we didn’t find his best position.

The guy Lopez, who Carlos didn’t seem to pick very often, was a class act in my very amateur eyes, thought he just needed a run in the team.

Edited by TheMagicOfWaddle
Typo

16 hours ago, gillyno9 said:

Another vote for Andy booth. Made the best of his abilities and was a real handful for defences. Lacked pace but was tough as old boots and a good team player.

Me too, as you said was a real handful for defences. I remember the Chelsea game at home (we won 1-0 Jonk pen) Booth completely terrorized Desailly that day.

4 hours ago, TheMagicOfWaddle said:

Steve Haslam. Always thought he could pass a ball, maybe we didn’t find his best position.

The guy Lopez, who Carlos didn’t seem to pick very often, was a class act in my very amateur eyes, thought he just needed a run in the team.

Same here. Loved Lopez, he was a joy to watch