Player you loved that not many did

Tom Lees. Having a terrible season absolutely no doubt about it. But never seems to get any credit from us, has played over 200 games and been at the heart of twice matching the club clean sheets record and 2 play off campaigns. For a player who cost us next to nothing he’s been a fantastic signing just never been a player that won the fans over. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Tom Lees. Having a terrible season absolutely no doubt about it. But never seems to get any credit from us, has played over 200 games and been at the heart of twice matching the club clean sheets record and 2 play off campaigns. For a player who cost us next to nothing he’s been a fantastic signing just never been a player that won the fans over. 

I think the first two seasons he was very much appreciated. 

But like a lot of the ‘play off team’ they’ve declined and needed a change of scenery a good couple of years ago. 

Guy Whittingham.

Not many footballers can pull off a name like “Guy” & his surname makes him sound a bit like D ick Whittington.

Could also play a bit.

Edited by Yellowbelly
Wee pipe Whittington ?!??!

19 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

But like a lot of the ‘play off team’ they’ve declined and needed a change of scenery a good couple of years ago. 

I agree. But he never has had that “let off the hook” attitude by fans the same way Bannan and Forestieri seem too. See his name in the team and instantly people lose their mind. 

He definitely needs moving on, but he’s nowhere near as bad as some people seem to make out. 

20 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

Guy Whittingham.

Not many footballers can pull off a name like “Guy” & his surname makes him sound a bit like D ick Whittington.

Could also play a bit.

Very good player - was really decent out wide in later years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HighworthOwl said:

Stevie May... obviously not a world beater but scored some important goals that helped keep us in the division. 

Keith Tracey i also thought was a decent player for us but used to get some stick. 

Both never went on to a higher level so maybe they where right and i was full of s**t.

Keith Tracey. Thought he was great for us. But had forgotten about him. 

48 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I agree some on here thought he was a £10 million player around his second season. Sadly his form has tailed off and he seems a shadow of that player which has been the reason why some have criticized him.

2 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

We should be forever grateful for him coming off the bench and scoring that penalty at Cardiff. Ten minutes from the end in front of 40,000+ dee-dahs - cool as you like!

He had some great games, too. At Chesterfield when we won 3-1, he had the home side's defence in knots and scored a couple. I think he even got booked when it was someone else's fault!

Didnt he poke his butt at the spireites kop

after he scored?! I should remember, I was on it

1 hour ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Really can't comprehend why anything that Bothroyd did in his short stay here would make you love him. He was an absolute disgrace.

Probably true, but the guy had talent, and at the time, I can remember hoping he would come good True, to a lesser extent with Stainrod, and a lot more talented players, who really never made the most of their natural ability

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Probably true, but the guy had talent, and at the time, I can remember hoping he would come good True, to a lesser extent with Stainrod, and a lot more talented players, who really never made the most of their natural ability

I hoped Bothroyd would be a good signing but sadly his ego was a lot bigger than his application. Think we were the start of his very quick fall from grace. A wasted talent. Sadly Simon Stainrod was talented but tainted by his past. It was never going to work here.

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

The fact Bothroyd had talent made it even worse that he simply walked through games without a care.