Will football salaries change as a consequence of the effects of the Corona virus pandemic?

Dont blame Premier league players being reluctant to take a wage cut, why should they will only go into pockets of billionaires.

Should just donate % to charity instead, people wouldn't criticise them then!

Plus clubs with billionaire owners taking wee wee asking the tax payer to pay the wages of none playing staff!

Football covering itself in glory once again in this time of crisis on many levels!!! This isn’t just a dig at the players either. Shocking selfishness/interest protection all around.The various governing bodies ought to just show some humanity or shut up and fk off. They won’t though will they? Very easy to fall out with this fkn circus at the moment. UTO.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, room0035 said:

I would be making the premier league prove they need the government hand outs.

When Spurs have players like Kane on £12m a season, Alli on £6m a year. Yet cannot afford to pay all the club staff that cannot be in anything like this then there is something definitely wrong with football.

This For me is the beginning of the end of the national sport as the greed at the top is being shown for what it is.

Very much agree with this. While virtually everyone else has come together during this crisis football as a whole has shown itself to be arrogant, greedy and somehow separate from the rest of society.

From a personal perspective I was already down on Wednesday (yet here I am on OT) and this episode has turned me completely against the game as a whole. I have no idea how many others feel the same but I dearly hope you’re right and that this is the watershed moment that the game has long been deserving of.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Burnley are saying theyl need a cash injection by august,dunno how much sky will pay for closed door football if it comes to that,after all they hold the cards.

To be fair if I was Sky CEO I would be doing my utmost to get all games played behind closed doors. Be like Christmas come early for skys viewing figures. 

1 minute ago, The Regulator said:

Very much agree with this. While virtually everyone else has come together during this crisis football as a whole has shown itself to be arrogant, greedy and somehow separate from the rest of society.

From a personal perspective I was already down on Wednesday (yet here I am on OT) and this episode has turned me completely against the game as a whole. I have no idea how many others feel the same but I dearly hope you’re right and that this is the watershed moment that the game has long been deserving of.

Absence should make the heart grow fonder but it certainly hasn't for me with regards to football. I read the Gary Shelton thread yesterday and it brought back some memories of him, Martin Hodge and later Phil King all living in Sothall on one of the belfry estates in normal houses with us normal folk. When I was a nipper I played football with Shelts kids in his back garden. Nowadays even low/average footballers wouldn't be seen dead living in these places, shows how much money has poisoned this once "working mans" game. Sickening to be honest.

Guest Bulgaria

The fact that billionaire owners are now activating government help to pay non playing staff tells you all you need to know about the arse holes.

The taxpayers.... Fans, yet again paying out.

Edited by Bulgaria

13 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I heard Gary Linaker on the radio yesterday saying that he considered declining his BT Sport Salary during the current crisis but that would have meant reduced tax/NIC receipts for the Government ( and by implication funding for the NHS and essential services), so instead chose to donate his net salary to the British Red Cross Society. 

Maybe this is the way highly paid footballers can help most by donating their net salaries to charities that are engaged in fighting the virus and supporting millions of people struggling through the crisis.

16 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

I think this playing behind closed doors is a load of tosh why would the social distancing be exempt for footballers and not for fans footballers have families to go home to

Don't understand why people think games can be played behind closed doors

Social distancing cannot happen during a football match therefore for football to be played behind closed doors we need to come out of lock down, if that happens we can all go and watch if we want

football, despite the PL thinking they are important at this time, is not an essential occupation, so lock down does apply to them

As seen with the PSG game, fans turned up despite the fact they couldn't go into the ground, so police would be needed in large numbers to prevent this

Just a few reasons why behind closed doors games cant happen

Personally I'd like to see the gravy train turned off. If not turned off at least redressed. 

We've all said for years that at some point football would eat itself. Those days might be near. 

This may happen naturally as globally, the world might not be able to sustain those levels of financial support, football currently needs. 

What do I think will happen? Like most things, nobody really knows. I fear we might see a few clubs go to the wall as owners abandon them. Not just here but abroad. 

Time will tell. 

I don't thing you can play behind closed doors, the public wouldnt be able to handle it, let's be honest. Best we void the season and see what we've got left when it's over. 

Edited by Maddogbob

3 hours ago, oldowl67 said:

I heard Gary Linaker on the radio yesterday saying that he considered declining his BT Sport Salary during the current crisis but that would have meant reduced tax/NIC receipts for the Government ( and by implication funding for the NHS and essential services), so instead chose to donate his net salary to the British Red Cross Society. 

Maybe this is the way highly paid footballers can help most by donating their net salaries to charities that are engaged in fighting the virus and supporting millions of people struggling through the crisis.

I would think most of the highly paid footballers are contributing to some degree, I don't get this anger which seems to be aimed at them, why just footballers?  Paul Mccartney made £57m last year and there are many other rich celebrities in other fields who make vast amounts of  money plus highly paid business owners.

Seems to me that having a pop at the footballers is deflecting some of the criticism which should be thrown at the Government's handling of the virus. Even though overall they have done a fair job so far,  it will be a few months down the road when it will unravel then will have a better idea who we can criticise .

Anyway I'm getting off topic but footballers aren't the ones to have a pop at.

10 hours ago, scram said:

*virtue signalling?

People still use this utterly meaningless nonsense?

Seriously?

Well yes fella, sorry, but that's how some of it comes across, and yes we all do it to some degree, but everything is relative, and there are plenty of people out in the real world who give it the the 'self righteous holier than thou' stuff, but if you put them in the same situation they would be no different, how many people do you think are eager and willing to give up proportions of their salary at any level ?

Yes we know top level footballers are excessively paid, we have all sat watching it happen for the past twenty years, but you watch how many folk start complaining when their taxes have to go up to cover all the govt borrowing required to get society through this virus ..... it will be the usual cry of get it off them and not us from a lot of people, when after all we are all in this together, aren't we ?

10 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

And in the last 25 season how many times have Walsall looked like troubling the upper echelons of the divisions. 

Profit is all well and good.

I could come into Wednesday tomorrow and within a few seasons turn a profit in 23 of the next 25 season. Recon I could even go 25 out of 25. But dont anybody except us to be in the Premier League for the next 25 years mind.  Be Lucky if we are in the championship.

The point is at Walsall they don't live beyond their means, they don't run the club like a play thing for the chairman and they don't rip their fans off.

What would you prefer a club you cannot afford to watch, full of over paid, under performing players that really don t give a shi t about the fans, the club or the game.

Or a team of players who work hard for the team, play as 1 instead of 11 individuals and yes they may be lower down the league's but at least every fans is not priced out of seeing them.

Football needs to take a long hard look at itself because all corona has shown is they are a business that cannot survive a month without the fans buying tickets, merchandise and sky subscriptions.

Yet many many smaller business are fighting tooth and mail to keep going.

5 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Dont blame Premier league players being reluctant to take a wage cut, why should they will only go into pockets of billionaires.

Should just donate % to charity instead, people wouldn't criticise them then!

Plus clubs with billionaire owners taking wee wee asking the tax payer to pay the wages of none playing staff!

Billionaires don’t pay the players, the clubs they own do. If billionaires put money into a club, it is against a director’s loan note and becomes a club debt. 

6 minutes ago, room0035 said:

The point is at Walsall they don't live beyond their means, they don't run the club like a play thing for the chairman and they don't rip their fans off.

What would you prefer a club you cannot afford to watch, full of over paid, under performing players that really don t give a shi t about the fans, the club or the game.

Or a team of players who work hard for the team, play as 1 instead of 11 individuals and yes they may be lower down the league's but at least every fans is not priced out of seeing them.

Football needs to take a long hard look at itself because all corona has shown is they are a business that cannot survive a month without the fans buying tickets, merchandise and sky subscriptions.

Yet many many smaller business are fighting tooth and mail to keep going.

I am not saying that's what I would prefer at all. I was referring to a comment made saying clubs are easy to run. I am pointing out that they are probably the easiest companies in the entire world to run if your sole aim is making a profit. Bit it is not, so that makes them one of the most difficult industries to get it right in.

19 hours ago, torres said:

I understand your sentiment but it’s the clubs that are responsible. Supporters money now wouldn’t cover a third of our squad - that’s the problem 

You've misunderstood. 

I never said supporters money had anything to do with it. 

If fans stopped going to football and stopped watching it, the TV money, advertising money etc would stop because the companies that pump millions into football wouldn't bother because there isnt enough interest to justify it. It's the sky, BT TV funding, the sponsorship deals etc that makes the difference.That is where the money is that allows clubs to pay a player 200k a week. 

Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury aren't multi-millionaires cos people buy tickets to watch them fighter. It's because Sky TV and advertisers pay millions to have the rights to show their fights on their TV channel knowing theyll make the money back 10times over through box office sales. Once nobody wants to pay £25 to watch Joshua, sky won't pay for the rights, the fight is shown on sky sports 2 and Joshua gets a few grand rather than 100million. 

An interesting article in today's Independent on line (http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/spotlight/the-complex-morality-of-football-clubs-placing-staff-on-furlough/ar-BB12eH7M?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout) which suggests that at least four Premier League clubs and forty-five lower league clubs could "go the wall" if they don't keep the TV money.

Either way, clubs will need a massive cash injection to compensate for loss of revenue.

The irony here is that clubs like Wednesday, who have owners who might be more capable than others of keeping the club afloat during these dark days, will need the shackles of FFP / P&S easing or removing to do so. UEFA have already done this so expecting the EFL to do the same is reasonable.

I would introduce pay grades in all divisions, whereby a top player at the top grade could earn a maximum of say 50K a week. 

It might be sensible to introduce footballers pensions that can be accessed from football retirement age and more than that, re-training programs that help footballers from the age of 35 (or retirement age), into future careers. With the money currently available, it could work incredibly well. 

3 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

An interesting article in today's Independent on line (http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/spotlight/the-complex-morality-of-football-clubs-placing-staff-on-furlough/ar-BB12eH7M?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout) which suggests that at least four Premier League clubs and forty-five lower league clubs could "go the wall" if they don't keep the TV money.

Either way, clubs will need a massive cash injection to compensate for loss of revenue.

The irony here is that clubs like Wednesday, who have owners who might be more capable than others of keeping the club afloat during these dark days, will need the shackles of FFP / P&S easing or removing to do so. UEFA have already done this so expecting the EFL to do the same is reasonable.

This obviously highlights that football cannot keep on with the ridiculous financial model we have - where such vast tracts of money go out of the clubs into the pockets of players, agents and some coveted managers/coaches

It has proven unsustainable and needs to change

Maybe going forward clubs need to be stress tested and if they cannot prove they have funds to go say 6 months without income then they lose their licence

Obviously cannot be done overnight however maybe a 3-5 year compliance plan to adjust?