Will football salaries change as a consequence of the effects of the Corona virus pandemic?

I heard someone on the radio (I think it was 5Live) saying that the current economic situation due to the pandemic was showing how ludicrous footballers salaries are in the top divisions and that the time is ripe to “fix” this. I couldn’t agree more but I believe any “fix” shouldn’t be applied to the lower divisions.  

I believe that top footballers should be paid a premium salary but not to tge levels they are on now.  

My questions to you all. 

1. Do you think top footballers’ salaries will be addressed?
  2. What would be a reasonable and sensible weekly salary for a top player?

They will be addressed as clubs wont be able to afford it like they used to if the economy continues to decline. That will naturally bring the lot of them down. But I dont think anything like salary caps will be introduced. Not in the top two divisions anyway. 

7 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

They will be addressed as clubs wont be able to afford it like they used to if the economy continues to decline. That will naturally bring the lot of them down. But I dont think anything like salary caps will be introduced. Not in the top two divisions anyway. 

They couldn’t afford most of them before.

For as long as cretins run the clubs in our country nothing much will change 

No, I personally dont think it will be addressed. Why? Because clubs, chairmen, owners, fans, are all greedy and all want instant success. So as long as the obscene amounts of money continue to flow into the game from TV, the obscene wages will be paid. 

The only way it can possibly be addressed is by adding a salary cap per team. It happens in all major NorthAmerican sports, so I see no reason why it cant happen in football also.

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

There is absolutely nothing that can be done

Footballers work on contracts, and demand wages that their agent deems is fit for their skilllsssssss

So no - nothing will change

Not a chance

Absolutely this. A salary cap would create the most level of playing fields and that wouldn't suit the present top four would it. And players and their agents look at salary levels as a kind of pecking order. "If he is getting that I'm worth more" and do it goes on.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Chow said:

They’ve got to change, just seen Burnley are struggling with money and they’re in the premiership, so says it all.

Absolutely shocked to hear about Burnley and they're supposed to one of the better run PL Clubs.:1276983839_MonkHome:

• Thanks 1

Modern society is what it is. Celebrity, bright lights, social media, too many things to do to think about things deeply. As far as the media is concerned, 'football' is a handful of top clubs and big names. Whilst they are in good health, the rest of the game are things they occasionally glimpse out of the corner of their eye.

The current crisis may cause a moment or two of reflection, but it won't last and things will soon be just as they ever were. Smaller club on the brink of extinction? Never mind that - here's Harry Kane talking about his stamp collection. Just remember what former Manchester United chairman, Martin Edwards said a few years before the Premier League was formed; "The smaller clubs are bleeding the game dry. For the sake of the game, they should be put to sleep."

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

We could influence players wages if every person withdrew there sky subscription

Ands that's the only way, if people didn't pay to watch they couldn't afford to pay what they do

The problem is it wont happen, how many people who say sky have ruined football subscribe to sky sports?

the other thing is as soon as this is over everything, especially wages, will just carry on as before, pity but it will

1 hour ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Absolutely shocked to hear about Burnley and they're supposed to one of the better run PL Clubs.:1276983839_MonkHome:

Not sure they did say they were struggling with money. They said 'they could lose £50m this season'. In last accounts they had £35m cash in the bank with no bank or directors loans and consistently return profits of £20m+.

They might lose £50m this season but they are in not 'in trouble' and are in zero danger of going bust.

This is just an example of Prem clubs trying to get ahead of the news...players not responding all that well to proposed 30% pay cut and there will be a lot of blowback of it comes out that clubs are claiming gov't money for furloughs of non playing staff.

People need to realise that only one set of people can change player wages. 

Fans.

When fans stop going, the money into football will dry up. TV companies and advertisers don't spend millions on something that isn't getting massive crowds and mass interest from the public. 

Once people lose interest and refuse to pay ludicrous prices to watch the players would never be able to demand such stupid money and clubs won't be able to afford it anyway.

Will that happen? No chance. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, londonowl said:

Not sure they did say they were struggling with money. They said 'they could lose £50m this season'. In last accounts they had £35m cash in the bank with no bank or directors loans and consistently return profits of £20m+.

They might lose £50m this season but they are in not 'in trouble' and are in zero danger of going bust.

This is just an example of Prem clubs trying to get ahead of the news...players not responding all that well to proposed 30% pay cut and there will be a lot of blowback of it comes out that clubs are claiming gov't money for furloughs of non playing staff.

Glad to hear that.Got a lot of time for Burnley and other well managed clubs that don't go over the top wasting millions of pounds chasing the dream.:tango:

If prem clubs are using government money to pay their staff if they don't need to....just out of greed...then I hope the lot of them go bust.

It's an absolute pisstake.

Don't they all have billionaire owners anyway?

• Like 1

I would be making the premier league prove they need the government hand outs.

When Spurs have players like Kane on £12m a season, Alli on £6m a year. Yet cannot afford to pay all the club staff that cannot be in anything like this then there is something definitely wrong with football.

This For me is the beginning of the end of the national sport as the greed at the top is being shown for what it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hougoumont said:

Absolutely this. A salary cap would create the most level of playing fields and that wouldn't suit the present top four would it. And players and their agents look at salary levels as a kind of pecking order. "If he is getting that I'm worth more" and do it goes on.

A salary cap should never happen. Why punish the players that deserve being paid top end salaries. They are highly skilled and being in huge amounts of revenue.

It’s up to clubs - especially ours to stop paying very average players over the top wages 

1 hour ago, poite said:

People need to realise that only one set of people can change player wages. 

Fans.

When fans stop going, the money into football will dry up. TV companies and advertisers don't spend millions on something that isn't getting massive crowds and mass interest from the public. 

Once people lose interest and refuse to pay ludicrous prices to watch the players would never be able to demand such stupid money and clubs won't be able to afford it anyway.

Will that happen? No chance. 

I understand your sentiment but it’s the clubs that are responsible. Supporters money now wouldn’t cover a third of our squad - that’s the problem