Will football salaries change as a consequence of the effects of the Corona virus pandemic?

13 minutes ago, torres said:

A salary cap should never happen. Why punish the players that deserve being paid top end salaries. They are highly skilled and being in huge amounts of revenue.

It’s up to clubs - especially ours to stop paying very average players over the top wages 

I agree 100% and +'d your post. However, we all know that it just doesnt work that way and never will.

As I said before, everyone involved with football is greedy and wants instant success. A prime example of that is Sunderland. Their recent doco shows their owner bidding 1.25m for Will Grigg. Being told by all his advisors that he isnt really worth that. Yet seals the deal at 3m. I mean, hello, wtf !?!?!

12 minutes ago, steelerian said:

I agree 100% and +'d your post. However, we all know that it just doesnt work that way and never will.

As I said before, everyone involved with football is greedy and wants instant success. A prime example of that is Sunderland. Their recent doco shows their owner bidding 1.25m for Will Grigg. Being told by all his advisors that he isnt really worth that. Yet seals the deal at 3m. I mean, hello, wtf !?!?!

That is exactly my point.

Clubs are incredibly poorly ran (on the whole) 

Any “normal” business ran the way most clubs are wouldn’t last 2 years. 

Football should be one of the easiest businesses to make work, yet clubs fail to do the very very basics 

Frustrates the hell out of me 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, steelerian said:

Gambled and lost. We did the same with Rhodes. 

Just now, torres said:

Football should be one of the easiest businesses to make work, yet clubs fail to do the very very basics 

Disagree with that I think a football club is one of the hardest businesses to run. 

Make bad decisions and you and your family get alsorts of abuse while walking the street. Name me another industry where that happens.

Football in this country wants to be the best in the world. That gives Sky the ability to sell it to audiences around the world. Bigger world audiences mean Sky pay the Premiere League more money. It's a viscious circle. Big money means we can attract the worlds best talent by paying big transfer fees and big wages, so it goes round and round in a circle.

Premiere league owners aren't in it for the money, they are very rich people they've got enough money often obtained in shady circumstances. They want kudos, they want acceptance, they are happy to pay money to get it. What better way to become known than to be the famous owner of a football club. Much better than being some unbelievably rich but unknown oligarch from one of the 'stans.

Nothing will change, It's in nobody's interest for it to do so. At some stage it will collapse like a house of cards but that will take a major depression. One so bad that nobody will be able to afford a sky package to watch football. Let's face it that will be one of the last things a lot of people will give up.

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Disagree with that I think a football club is one of the hardest businesses to run. 

Make bad decisions and you and your family get alsorts of abuse while walking the street. Name me another industry where that happens.

You know exactly your budget, you know almost exactly how many customers you will get for the forthcoming year - most of these pay in advance 

You get a windfall from an outside source every year (tv) 

You get bonuses for cup runs etc 

You can sell assets 

Not to mention most of the city dreams of working for you!

3 minutes ago, torres said:

You know exactly your budget, you know almost exactly how many customers you will get for the forthcoming year - most of these pay in advance 

You get a windfall from an outside source every year (tv) 

You get bonuses for cup runs etc 

You can sell assets 

Not to mention most of the city dreams of working for you!

Problem is with a football club which is different to any other company in the world is the ultimate goal isnt to make a profit is it. Otherwise 90% of the clubs in this country would do so with great ease.

Edited by pazowl55

40 minutes ago, steelerian said:

As I said before, everyone involved with football is greedy and wants instant success. 

As opposed to wider society which is abstemious and patient...

The side effect of Coronavirus seems to be a mass outbreak of sanctimonious virtue signalling.

Edited by kobayashi
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I don't plame players like Josh. He's probably not one of the top earners and good luck to him if he is. It's not their fault. 

Let's face it if one club offers you £5k per week and another offers £10k. Which would you take.

From a players point of view he might get injured next week and never play again. He wants as much money as he can to keep his family secure. Most are working class lads and they see rich owners of clubs rolling in money. If they take a low wage the rich man stays rich. It makes not a jot of difference to anyone else.

If Abramovitch is worth £10B why would a player think £200K per week is too much in wages? If Abramovitch wants a football club as a vanity project why shouldn't the player take the money.

Fans think about football in a totally different way. We can't imagine the riches the Premiership players earn. It gets more real in the lower leagues. Wages are good but at the level we can comprehend.

3 hours ago, bladeshater said:

We could influence players wages if every person withdrew there sky subscription

Not true. The Premier League is an international product and is watched in almost every country in the world. I’m sure that (UK) Sky only contribute about 30% of the money the PL makes (although I’m more than happy to be corrected here). 

54 minutes ago, prowl said:

I don't plame players like Josh. He's probably not one of the top earners and good luck to him if he is. It's not their fault. 

Let's face it if one club offers you £5k per week and another offers £10k. Which would you take.

From a players point of view he might get injured next week and never play again. He wants as much money as he can to keep his family secure. Most are working class lads and they see rich owners of clubs rolling in money. If they take a low wage the rich man stays rich. It makes not a jot of difference to anyone else.

If Abramovitch is worth £10B why would a player think £200K per week is too much in wages? If Abramovitch wants a football club as a vanity project why shouldn't the player take the money.

Fans think about football in a totally different way. We can't imagine the riches the Premiership players earn. It gets more real in the lower leagues. Wages are good but at the level we can comprehend.

Correct @prowl. And rightly so. After all, we all go to work to not only pay the bills, but to try to enhance our lifestyles at the same time. Footballers are no different. Why should they be when it comes to contract discussions?

I know I've talked about the sunderland doco many times already today - but please, anyone who hasnt watched it yet, get a few beers in and binge watch both seasons asap - but case in point is Jack Rodwell. They painted him to be the devil in that programme. It's not his fault they were stupid enough to pay him 70k/week with no relegation clauses. 

2 hours ago, torres said:

I read an article the other day by the former CEO of Walsall FC, aptly called Peter Gamble. They do not live beyond their means they get crowds of 5,500 each year and have made a profit in 23 of their last 25 season, they make the stadium make money all year round and also have a large electronic advertising board outside the stadium that also helps with income.

it can be done if you have business men with Business ability running football club. The problem is there is too many who don't have a clue what they are doing in football and the governing bodies do nothing to eliminated these from the game.

I have always been a critic of how the game has sold it's soul, and think the money at the top level of the game is too much, favours the mighty few and made it top heavy, I do however think also that football players have become an easy target in the current situation. We should all remember they are not the only big earners out there and that many of these players are generally charitable and generous, just as some people are in other walks of life, there are those who are and those who are not, but upon reflection society needs to maintain a sense of perspective, as someone above posted there does seem to be an element of sanctimonious virtue signalling that is becoming more and more prevalent.

Edited by OwlsMan1961

I would suggest that more worryingly for football clubs is the slow down of momentum and then end of persistent publicity during this enforced shutdown.

Many of us are creatures of habit but we are now surviving without that weekly "fix".

I suspect that as the empty weekends stack up, the interest in football will begin to wane and I would not be surprised to see attendances dip when football returns.

If there is less interest and less demand, the money will dry up. For many professional footballers, relatively speaking, these could be harrowing times.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

I would suggest that more worryingly for football clubs is the slow down of momentum and then end of persistent publicity during this enforced shutdown.

Many of us are creatures of habit but we are now surviving without that weekly "fix".

I suspect that as the empty weekends stack up, the interest in football will begin to wane and I would not be surprised to see attendances dip when football returns.

If there is less interest and less demand, the money will dry up. For many professional footballers, relatively speaking, these could be harrowing times.

From all the posts that i've read,Yours seems to make the most sense in this current emergency.Great Post.:tango:

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, room0035 said:

I would be making the premier league prove they need the government hand outs.

When Spurs have players like Kane on £12m a season, Alli on £6m a year. Yet cannot afford to pay all the club staff that cannot be in anything like this then there is something definitely wrong with football.

This For me is the beginning of the end of the national sport as the greed at the top is being shown for what it is.

Especially when the chairman announces a 3M bonus at the same time. 

3 hours ago, room0035 said:

I read an article the other day by the former CEO of Walsall FC, aptly called Peter Gamble. They do not live beyond their means they get crowds of 5,500 each year and have made a profit in 23 of their last 25 season, they make the stadium make money all year round and also have a large electronic advertising board outside the stadium that also helps with income.

it can be done if you have business men with Business ability running football club. The problem is there is too many who don't have a clue what they are doing in football and the governing bodies do nothing to eliminated these from the game.

And in the last 25 season how many times have Walsall looked like troubling the upper echelons of the divisions. 

Profit is all well and good.

I could come into Wednesday tomorrow and within a few seasons turn a profit in 23 of the next 25 season. Recon I could even go 25 out of 25. But dont anybody except us to be in the Premier League for the next 25 years mind.  Be Lucky if we are in the championship.

Edited by pazowl55