BREAKING: All games suspended until 3 April "at the earliest" [Update: full EFL statement in OP]

20 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

my point has been that its impossible to contain this ,any office,bus,train,pub,supermarket hospital its everywhere . the only way to contain it is staying isolated in a room for a month . stopping football isn't going  to make hardly any difference. this virus is unstoppable . 

Correct.

2 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Same age as you Mark though you might be suffering prematurely with dementia if you can’t remember we were in some classes together at school.

lol

I was referring to the “most popular poster” part of the quote.... How could I get forget our youth.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, A12owl said:

I thought I read somewhere that the idea is to get as many people infected in a controlled way to create some immunity and spread the load on NHS. 

Any volunteers to be artificially infected? 

You need to learn government speak.

This means we know we have no real control over infection but when most of the nation is infected with the virus we’ll find a positive spin on it.

A bit like saying that unfortunately a few loved ones will be lost instead of saying the UK will have over half a million deaths.

Edited by theowlsman

6 hours ago, DeeJayOne said:

Statement from the EFL: "The FA, Premier League, EFL and Barclays FA Women’s Super League and FA Women’s Championship have collectively agreed to postpone the professional game in England until 3 April at the earliest. 

"This action, which will be kept under constant review, has been taken due to the increasing numbers of Clubs taking steps to isolate their players and staff because of the COVID-19 virus. 

"The postponements include all matches in the Championship, League One and League Two, as well as all Academy and youth team fixtures. 

"In addition, clubs are being advised to suspend indefinitely all non-essential activities which include, but are not limited to, player appearances, training ground visits and fan meetings. 

"Whilst the EFL Board has continued to take the advice and guidance offered by the Government and its health advisors, emerging developments mean now is the time to implement football’s contingency plans in response to the crisis. 

"A further update on these plans will be given post an EFL Board Meeting next week. 

"This decision has not been taken lightly, but the EFL must prioritise the health and well-being of players, staff and supporters while also acknowledging the Government’s national efforts in tackling this outbreak."

I think top 2 has gone

Guest LittleG
29 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Unfortunately I fear that you may will be right about the oldies, and I'm not far behind them so OT may well soon lose its most popular poster. 

But you have to keep :biggrin:

Maybe we should vacate a couple of seaside towns and move the oldies into them and give them the best treatment and help we can.

That's my idea. 

As long as it's not Blackpool, I'm not going there!

What happens to the staff?

We've already asked how we'll fill the gap left by elite football this weekend, and what will happen to the food that was prepared for those games.

But what about the staff that had planned to receive wages from working at those games?

Like their Premier League rivals Aston Villa, Brighton are donating food to local charities.

Albion have also committed to pay staff who are unable to work due to the coronavirus, including more than 600 regular casual staff who work for the club on matchdays.

Chief executive and deputy chairman Paul Barber said: “We have had to cancel their work at really short notice, and we know that their work and pay is really important.

“We have taken the decision as a club to continue paying the vast majority of our matchday staff for the remainder of the season, whether or not we play the five remaining Premier League games.

“That is a small thing we can do. The vast majority of people we employ are local people, so it is important we support them, and through them our local economy, at a difficult time and hopefully give them some reassurance, regardless of what else happens, they still have that income from us to come.”

Will SWFC follow suit?

42 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Unfortunately I fear that you may will be right about the oldies, and I'm not far behind them so OT may well soon lose its most popular poster. 

But you have to keep :biggrin:

Maybe we should vacate a couple of seaside towns and move the oldies into them and give them the best treatment and help we can.

That's my idea. 

I'm 62 but don't feel it, so should be alright.

Just now, Justbeanz said:

Can't spare the cardboard bag, might need it to wipe my @rse with.

I can’t believe it-went to Asda and there’s isnt one poo roll in the shop. Shelves looked like a Russian supermarket from the ‘80s. 

Saying that, we only went there as our lass has been banned by Tesco online for getting 108 crap rolls on a order last week:duntmatter:

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

So by that reasoning everything is to shut down,  someone working at the railway station  could pass it on all day.  I know I'm been pedantic but where do we draw the line?

If we went into total lockdown now the number of infections would start to drop almost immediately. The official figures would continue to rise as infected people become symptomatic and get tested. In just over 2 weeks the official figures would start to drop but deaths would increase thereafter as infected people who are going to die will continue to do so after a month.

Go into lockdown now and we get on top of it quickly. Delay means more infections and more deaths. The government seems to want people to get infected to create a pool of people with herd immunity to keep things ticking over. That may work if the virus doesn't mutate. It is a type of rhinovirus and they seem to mutate regularly.

The truth is no one knows what is the best course of action although China points the way. (if we believe their figures)

People and organisations have started to take things into their own hand but really we could do with a lead from the government so we can all get on the same page.

• Thanks 1

Tottenham And West Ham Wanted Premier League Season To Be Cancelled 

Tottenham and West Ham have been named as the two clubs that called for the Premier League season to be 'completely cancelled and rendered null and void.'

Ahead of the [league suspension] announcement, reporter Martin Lipton tweeted out that a significant amount of clubs were in favour of the league being completed this season.

But he added at the time that two clubs had "asked for cancellation" of the Premier League season.

Lipton tweeted: "Vast majority of PL clubs believe season must be completed. Two clubs have asked for cancellation but that is not on agenda at this stage.

Journalist Ewan MacKenna has since confirmed that the two clubs were Tottenham and West Ham, who are 8th and 16th in the league respectively.

"West Ham and Tottenham want the Premier League season completely cancelled and rendered null and void. Is the right thing for the wrong reason still the right thing?" he tweeted.

5 minutes ago, prowl said:

If we went into total lockdown now the number of infections would start to drop almost immediately. The official figures would continue to rise as infected people become symptomatic and get tested. In just over 2 weeks the official figures would start to drop but deaths would increase thereafter as infected people who are going to die will continue to do so after a month.

Go into lockdown now and we get on top of it quickly. Delay means more infections and more deaths. The government seems to want people to get infected to create a pool of people with herd immunity to keep things ticking over. That may work if the virus doesn't mutate. It is a type of rhinovirus and they seem to mutate regularly.

The truth is no one knows what is the best course of action although China points the way. (if we believe their figures)

People and organisations have started to take things into their own hand but really we could do with a lead from the government so we can all get on the same page.

I reckon it's something to do with that North Korean chap,bet he infected us all,and he's got the antidote.(god I'm bored already)