BREAKING: All games suspended until 3 April "at the earliest" [Update: full EFL statement in OP]

2 minutes ago, trev said:

They won't declare the season's null and void.

They have to finish the season. Eventually.

But I guess it depends how long that takes. Could be 6 months or more and by then players are out of contract etc. 

Sticky situation but I just can't see them saying the season is void. 

Mostly because I think it would be the funniest thing ever and I am not that lucky.

It's a good thing Ferguson's retired because he would have still demanded a further extension of the season until Manchester United won the title. :rolleyes:

• Haha 4

'Coronavirus is overhyped and Premier League have given in to pressure' - Simon Jordan

Simon Jordan has accused the Premier League, EFL and Football Association of bowing to media hype over coronavirus after deciding to postpone football for three weeks.

Former Crystal Palace owner Jordan believes the decision to postpone all professional football was taken too hastily by chiefs.

"Media pressure has created such a backdrop that football and wider sport is now reacting to it, and possibly rightly.

“The problem, I think, is when you stop something it’s how you restart it and who determines when you restart it, because you’ll be in the court of public opinion when you do restart something.

“There is no way the integrity of this season can be lost by scrapping it as it is now, and writing off everything that’s been done.

“It’s logical to shut it down now with the international break coming up, but there are so many factors that will come into play – the Champions League, relegation, winners of various tournaments, etc, etc.

“Games could have been played behind closed doors and I suspect the decision not to was a financial one.

“Test all the players, and then the ones who aren’t positive are available to play, and the ones that do test positive aren’t.

“There are solutions that can be found.”

3 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

Simon Jordan

“Games could have been played behind closed doors and I suspect the decision not to was a financial one."

Surely they could still Televise these games tho'?

That way the clubs would not risk TV money,

I presume the argument against this would be crowded pubs etc...unless you could mitigate that by banning pubs etc from showing it

'No contest' between football and good of society - Jurgen Klopp

Statement from Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp: "I don’t think this is a moment where the thoughts of a football manager should be important, but I understand for our supporters they will want to hear from the team and I will front that.

"First and foremost, all of us have to do whatever we can to protect one another. In society I mean. This should be the case all the time in life, but in this moment I think it matters more than ever.

"I’ve said before that football always seems the most important of the least important things. Today, football and football matches really aren’t important at all.

"Of course, we don’t want to play in front of an empty stadium and we don’t want games or competitions suspended, but if doing so helps one individual stay healthy - just one - we do it no questions asked.

"If it’s a choice between football and the good of the wider society, it’s no contest. Really, it isn’t."

Put your health first - Jurgen Klopp

More from Jurgen Klopp: "Yes, I am the manager of this team and club and therefore carry a leadership responsibility with regards to our future on the pitch. 

"But I think in the present moment, with so many people around our city, the region, the country and the world facing anxiety and uncertainty, it would be entirely wrong to speak about anything other than advising people to follow expert advice and look after themselves and each other.

"The message from the team to our supporters is only about your well-being. Put your health first. Don’t take any risk. Think about the vulnerable in our society and act where possible with compassion for them."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, striker said:

With peak infection predicted for May/June, no guarantee games will resume. It then becomes an issue for clubs to field teams, once players contracts end,  most expire 1st June?

Fairest outcome in that situation would be to void the season, start again as were. Another get out of jail card for us, considering our form. 

Suspect decisions will be driven by Sky, the puppet masters of EPL, EFL, be interesting to see what Sky find to talk about with no sport happening!

Would love to see a mass change in employment for the players out of contract this summer. Great to pull up at a car wash or get your Ocado order delivered by one of our previously under-performing “stars”. #welcometorealityfuckos

• Haha 1

National League games going ahead - BBC Sport

National League statement: Following a Board meeting held today, the National League has decided to allow matches in its three divisions to proceed as planned this weekend.

The National League will keep the operation of its competition under constant and diligent review, and will remain in compliance with government advice at all times.

The Football Association has offered its guidance, and made it clear the decision to continue or to suspend a competition is a matter for each league to make.

19 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

Klopp has set the tone.

This is what it is

Wont be legal action, wont be outrage.  Season will be cancelled and declared null and void.  Liverpool stand to lose the most and have rightly set the tone.  Good for them.

So hyperthetically the season restarts mid May, with a dozen or so games to play, it won’t be finished until early July. Would teams be able to sign players from June 1st? Can you imagine the carnage for those in big battles? If they can’t what happens to clubs, like us, with ten or more pros out of contract?

This is not going to end well. Can you imagine if wolves sign a striker on June 1st who scores a shedload to keep them out of a Euro spot. And the FA cup would players be able to play in that if it goes beyond June 1st.

I can see the legal eagles sharpening their biros as we speek

5 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Klopp has set the tone.

This is what it is

Wont be legal action, wont be outrage.  Season will be cancelled and declared null and void.  Liverpool stand to lose the most and have rightly set the tone.  Good for them.

That’s not quite what he said? Going by the quote, or is there more I’ve missed? Not decrying what’s said in the quote by the way. 

4 minutes ago, Plonk said:

So hyperthetically the season restarts mid May, with a dozen or so games to play, it won’t be finished until early July. Would teams be able to sign players from June 1st? Can you imagine the carnage for those in big battles? If they can’t what happens to clubs, like us, with ten or more pros out of contract?

This is not going to end well. Can you imagine if wolves sign a striker on June 1st who scores a shedload to keep them out of a Euro spot. And the FA cup would players be able to play in that if it goes beyond June 1st.

I can see the legal eagles sharpening their biros as we speek

Yup. Messy messy messy.

Easier to just give us our points deduction now but then just void the whole season I reckon.

Also due to no gate receipts etc they should void the ffp stats too.

Clean slate for everyone.

Easy. I'll email the efl now with my amazing plan.

• Haha 1