BREAKING: All games suspended until 3 April "at the earliest" [Update: full EFL statement in OP]

4 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Being able to read does not make a person smart.

Congratulations on being able to read.

There, there, don't feel threatened just because I can read. There's a whole world of information out there beyond very hungry caterpillars, I can tell you.

Seriously, if you would take a moment to read around the net, news outlets, science blogs and Q&A's, you would soon realise what you're suggesting is ridiculous, specifically:

"If this does not strike of a man mad disease created to cull the human population, then you need a reality check" (sic)

Edited by nilnil

2 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Being able to read does not make a person smart.

Congratulations on being able to read.

You seem to have read a few things and have drawn some very 'interesting' observations from what you have read................

8 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Study the situation before giving a response that is plain and simple just ignorant.  

Currently I am in a household that potentially has two infected.   More likely it's just a case of cold.   

The facts are out there for you to look at, if you are able to.   I personally am sober, are you?   Or do you just deliberately objectionable?

Well, if it's any grain of comfort, I did watch a China News International report on Youtube today hypothesizing that the virus was developed in a Wuhan laboratory and was accidentally leaked. Strange one really because the Chinese are trying to absolve themselves of blame, not burden themselves with it. I guess it increased viewing figures for what would normally be a nerd programme full of propaganda and innuendo.

1 hour ago, DeeJayOne said:

Tottenham And West Ham Wanted Premier League Season To Be Cancelled  

Tottenham and West Ham have been named as the two clubs that called for the Premier League season to be 'completely cancelled and rendered null and void.' 

Ahead of the [league suspension] announcement, reporter Martin Lipton tweeted out that a significant amount of clubs were in favour of the league being completed this season. 

But he added at the time that two clubs had "asked for cancellation" of the Premier League season. 

Lipton tweeted: "Vast majority of PL clubs believe season must be completed. Two clubs have asked for cancellation but that is not on agenda at this stage. 

Journalist Ewan MacKenna has since confirmed that the two clubs were Tottenham and West Ham, who are 8th and 16th in the league respectively. 

"West Ham and Tottenham want the Premier League season completely cancelled and rendered null and void. Is the right thing for the wrong reason still the right thing?" he tweeted.

Why does Lipton think the right thing to do at this stage it cancel the season? It may well turn out to be the case but surely it is better to so how things pan out over the next 3 weeks and assess the informed medical advice then rather than make a snap decision on the whole season now.

13 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Study the situation before giving a response that is plain and simple just ignorant.  

Currently I am in a household that potentially has two infected.   More likely it's just a case of cold.   

The facts are out there for you to look at, if you are able to.   I personally am sober, are you?   Or do you just deliberately objectionable?

The fact you’re implying that the virus has purposefully been created to kill a section of the human race is just idiotic mate so there’s no point even having a conversation. Have whatever kind of day you’re gonna have 

58 minutes ago, trevdi9 said:

cancel the euro's then    , lol

That was the possibility being considered according to Sky Sports news last night. It was being reported that UEFA would rather defer the Euro's for a year or give it a miss completely rather than not have their domestic leagues play out to a finish and therefore impact on who would play in the European club competitions next season.  

This announcement restores my faith in karma. 

Liverpool running away with the PL... Shef Utd spawning a great season. 

Meanwhile Karma says "those Owls fans are having such a bad time they'd rather not even go to their own home matches... OK then. CORONOVIRUS!"

• Haha 4

Guest mkowl
4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Nah not me

Dont believe the hype

Well if you were can you give the Brexit thread 2/10 

38 minutes ago, nilnil said:

We're way past lockdown. Had we wanted to go down that route we should have done it back in January. That being said, how long do you then go into lockdown for? Would the public stand for it?

Going into lockdown now would simply be another delay tactic, as the virus is already rife throughout the country. Yes, official number do not back that up, but you have to assume this given the high proportion of 'well-known' people who have tested positive. Our peak would stay flatter but we'd be open to further waves with no significant immunity.

You're right that herd immunity is the way the government are going. Scarily that will involve 70% of the population getting infected if it were to be successful. Delaying this strategy isn't ideal. You're right that the virus is prone to mutation, though this doesn't affect our herd immunity plan. Examples from Spanish flu confirm this in Copenhagen, where the deadly second wave barely caused a ripple due to widespread immunity from the first wave. Interestingly, Denmark are not going down this route for Covid-19.

I have faith in the government, despite not being a Tory, that this is probably the best way forward, at least now because we're not in a position to implement other potentially effective measures due to it being too late to. I agree that a better lead from them is needed. I hope that our course of action, a unique one at that, proves to be the best one longer term, though I still have some doubts (it is Boris after all). Who knows whether a second or third wave will develop, and how deadly they'll be? 

If there is mass infection then lockdown is the only answer. We need to delay the peak of the epidemic spike or the NHS will collapse. I don't think we are past the point of no return. China has stopped it with lockdown so can we.

Truth is you can have your opinion and I can have mine. We will never know who is right because we will do one thing or the other and never know if the other option would have been better or worse.

Keep safe whatever you do.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

That was the possibility being considered according to Sky Sports news last night. It was being reported that UEFA would rather defer the Euro's for a year or give it a miss completely rather than not have their domestic leagues play out to a finish and therefore impact on who would play in the European club competitions next season.  

If the European Championships are cancelled, the domestic football season can't be completed in its place, if the remaining fixtures were to be played in June. As the time that the Euro's are supposed to begin are also the time it's estimated be the virus' peak time to hit the UK?

Simply cancelling the European Championships, which already looks highly likely to happen, along with the Olympics. Doesn't overcome the fixture congestion, pre-season and other issues the authorities face, in trying to fit the remaining fixtures in with this season's commitments and next seasons. Suspending fixtures now, which is understandable when it's a major health issue, with the peak time of the virus yet to hit the UK, increases the likelihood that this season can't be completed?

Considering the window of time to fit it in or around the peak time of the virus here and the need for a pre-season break. It looks like this season will have to be cancelled altogether, taking the place of next season, as though it never happened. As it's the only sensible foreseeable outcome considering the timeframes and implications.

Edited by The Night-Owl
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, The Night-Owl said:

If the European Championships are cancelled, the domestic football season can't be completed in its place, if the remaining fixtures were to be played in June. As the time that the Euro's are supposed to begin are also the time it's estimated be the virus' peak time to hit the UK?

Simply cancelling the European Championships, which already looks highly likely to happen, along with the Olympics. Doesn't overcome the fixture congestion, pre-season and other issues the authorities face, in trying to fit the remaining fixtures in with this season's commitments and next seasons. Suspending fixtures now, which is understandable when it's a major health issue, with the peak time of the virus yet to hit the UK, increases the likelihood that this season can't be completed? Considering the window of time to fit it in or around the peak time of the virus here and the need for a pre-season break. It looks like this season will have to be cancelled altogether, taking the place of next season, as though It never happened. As it's the only sensible foreseeable outcome considering the timeframes and implications.

We would be really hacked off if we were leading the Championship.

16 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Its not expected to peak for 2 to 3 months.

so it is possible that the league cant start again until the end of June, players will not be fir after such a long lay off with a real possibility that they wont have been train properly.

That means at best that all the matches wont be completed until the middle of August.

The players will then want a real holiday so the season starts early October, how are they going to complete the season in time for the Euros in 2021?

There is a real possibility that the season will be cancelled unless something changes drastically

4 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Simply cancelling the European Championships, which already looks highly likely to happen, along with the Olympics. Doesn't overcome the fixture congestion, pre-season and other issues the authorities face, in trying to fit the remaining fixtures in with this season's commitments and next seasons. Suspending fixtures now, which is understandable when it's a major health issue, with the peak time of the virus yet to hit the UK, increases the likelihood that this season can't be completed?

Considering the window of time to fit it in or around the peak time of the virus here and the need for a pre-season break. It looks like this season will have to be cancelled altogether, taking the place of next season, as though it never happened. As it's the only sensible foreseeable outcome considering the timeframes and implications.

That might well be the case, I'm sure they are considering a number of options. The peak time may currently be June/July in the UK but that could change depending on what impact the current and impending actions have. The picture is ever-changing. It was only a couple of days ago that fixtures this weekend were not under threat.