• Bannan
    • Fletcher
    • Forestieri
    • Harris
    • Wickham
    • Iorfa
    • Windass

1 hour ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Good assesment that. I still dont have the heart to think about it too deeply. The pigeons made it bearable for me.

Its going to be a long hard struggle now for Monk. No mistakes against Charlton, but Derby's better midfield players destroyed us.

We destroyed ourselves. Even a poor opposition midfield would have taken advantage of the mistakes by Lees and Harris.

I have some sympathy for Harris, he does lose/give the ball away a lot but if he's given the ball in the right area, deep in the opposition half, if shouldn't cost us goals. He was obviously mortified by his error.

Lees, is just rubbish with the ball at his feet. Our team should have a rule that nobody ever passes the ball to him. If he gets the ball take it off him immediately. We might have half a chance then. He used to be a good defender, he probably still is but he is well out of form at present.

1 hour ago, BenitoCarbone said:

Too many pages to be read, but how did Tom Lees do last night?

He might have done ok last night............................................................................................................................................................................................ when he got home.

Best not talk about how he did in the game.

• Haha 1

For the third goal Harris gave the ball away but the state of Borner's positioning, seemingly unaware he has a player behnd him. In fact the whole defence is out of shape.

Borner was calmed and assured before his injury but is getting sucked in. Teams will have noticed it, the forward only has to drop deep and Borner will follow leaving that space in behind him. It's why he needs Iorfa's pace to cover.

Communication needs to improve.

I went with Murphy, even when things didn't come off he didn't shirk his responsibility.

I've watched the full match replay on iPlayer this evening and the thing which stands out for me is the workrate of Kieran Lee, amongst the lack of it from others in the team. 

This time last year you would have thought he was finished in football, never mind Sheffield Wednesday. 

Signed in 2012. 191 appearances and 20 goals. A shining light, in the abyss.

Monk talks of senior players at the club in Bannan and Fletcher, maybe in terms of wages, but against a backdrop of abject failure, his performance yesterday epitomises everything which is missing from half the first team: Work rate. Iorfa and Windass also showed it in the second half. 

Not byased or owt but its Kieran Lee yet again from me,3 weeks running,never wastes a pass breaks up play,gets in the box,I dont get the negative comments about Lee on here,hes head n shoulders above those around him,wins headers when hes no right,gets his foot in,works bloody hard ALL game right to the last kick hes still trying to get us going foreward.

The only player on the park to get close in performance was Murphy who always busts a gut and has really tight close control,but seems to sometimes overplay or over think,just feckin shoot kid.

Defensively its a joke,lets totally feck zonal marking off and take a man each and stand on his toes so he cant move because its just not working Monk,its gunna cost us big time.

Of the rest,mediocre,FF came to life 2nd half,Fletcher looked tired,Lees had a bad day,but his densive buds sold him down the river,Palmer and Fox looked allover the shop,Borner still looks like an action replay,Iorfa was steady though not put under any pressure which is when he wilts,Bannan overplayed it yet again,10 touches when one foreward pass was what it needed.

We sat way too deep let Derby dictate the game,and 3 touches in our box was all they needed,game was over in a flash,one of the worst away records in the entire division made us look like a bunch of idiots,no one took responsibility to bring the backline up we invited derby on,they went for it,game over

• Like 1

On 29/02/2020 at 17:00, full fathom five said:

I vote Monk, what a tactical genius

possession, shots, corners all in wednesday's favour.

only shots on target are down by just one.

perhaps a bit of shooting practice is required in training.

other than that what is monk guilty of? not coming on himself to put the chances away?

21 hours ago, prowl said:

We destroyed ourselves. Even a poor opposition midfield would have taken advantage of the mistakes by Lees and Harris.

I have some sympathy for Harris, he does lose/give the ball away a lot but if he's given the ball in the right area, deep in the opposition half, if shouldn't cost us goals. He was obviously mortified by his error.

Lees, is just rubbish with the ball at his feet. Our team should have a rule that nobody ever passes the ball to him. If he gets the ball take it off him immediately. We might have half a chance then. He used to be a good defender, he probably still is but he is well out of form at present.

when he receives the ball, he looks like somebody has given him a bomb to carry.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

For the third goal Harris gave the ball away but the state of Borner's positioning, seemingly unaware he has a player behnd him. In fact the whole defence is out of shape.

Borner was calmed and assured before his injury but is getting sucked in. Teams will have noticed it, the forward only has to drop deep and Borner will follow leaving that space in behind him. It's why he needs Iorfa's pace to cover.

Communication needs to improve.

I went with Murphy, even when things didn't come off he didn't shirk his responsibility.

not the first time that's been posted on here, IF it's seen by fans, it seen by opposition scouts.

childish mistakes, schoolboy errors.

8 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

not the first time that's been posted on here, IF it's seen by fans, it seen by opposition scouts.

childish mistakes, schoolboy errors.

Borner's positional sense is shocking at times

Iorfa gets him out of trouble more than should be necessary 

Lees doesn't have the pace to cover him 

20 hours ago, prowl said:

Yes, Lees is not at all mobile with the ball at his feet, or good at passing the ball when under pressure, but he wins so many headers, intercepts, or blocks so many balls and makes so many clearances, that by law of averages he is always going to make some mistakes. Unfortunately, like the rest of the team, he has not been having the best of seasons, but has still been one of our most consistent players up to now. I really hope that the fans do not turn on him too now, they have already vilified several members of the squad after making mistakes and continue turn on individual players or crown heroes when they have had brief spells of bad, or good showings of skill, technique, or effort. I am afraid that now, we really need to forget about achieving anything other than survival this season and look at the long term efforts and value of all our players. We have struggled to find decent centre halves for a quite a few years now and apart from Tom Lees, Frederico Venancio, Michael Hector, Glenn Loovens (when he could run a bit) and the younger less experienced Jordan Thorniley, I don't think we have had many decent centre halves and it is quite rare in the UK to get one that can defend well and distribute the ball well too. Sadly, the only players who look really comfortable on the ball are usually attacking players, with most defenders and goalkeepers, including England goalkeepers, not being all that good with the ball at their feet, with attackers bearing down on them. It would be great if we had a full set of defenders that could defend well and distribute the ball well, but if we did we would probably be playing in the Champions League next season.

Hopefully, this summer Monk can bring in some good quality defenders, but only if the likes Of Paixao and co are not involved! I saw DC and Paixo talking outside the ground after Saturday's debacle and from what Steve Bruce said last season, Paixao is part of the club and managers have to use him as part of their player recruitment.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, torres said:

can't post an alternative to any of that, the trouble is IF you can see it, and I can see it, other fans too can see it, and opposition scouts can see it, how many in our management team cannot?

correcting borner (unless he is actually acting to orders, and others are supposed to cover him) isn't rocket science 'EYOP! stop getting drawn out of position into m/f, the opposition are making you look a dumpling, NEXT!'.

'

First game I've been to since Leeds away. Pretty shocking all round - in the first half they were walking through our midfield at will. Iorfa and Windass stood out as making a big difference in the second half.

had to give it to Windas.

Iorfa did Ok when he came on and the likes of Fox, Murphy and FF were OK.

I guessed Derby would try to shut up shop as they probably couln't belive their luck in the first, so did nowt daft in 2nd.....

1 hour ago, torres said:

Yep. 

He goes wandering off, trying to get the ball when he has absolutely no chance of doing so. 

He's bloody slow too, so once the opposition have turned him you are counting on Iorfa or someone else covering him. 

One of many who is looking increasingly like a Sunday League player than a professional footballer.