Takeover Talks

1 hour ago, ChinaOwl said:

I have never come across any other business that operate with wages costs amounting to 130%+ of the total annual turnover. I have never come across any other businesses that are willing to give employees carte blanche on what they earn. I am led to believe that our club made losses equivalent to the full three years' permitted losses in one year alone. I think that FFP or P & S is far from perfect. Adjustments are necessary but there needs to be some mechanism for reining in the excessive spending that occurs in football. Regardless of what you say, there are clubs that do operate within the constraints of P & S. Some can also do so and maintain competitive league positions or even promotion. I would rather not use it as an excuse. I would rather use it as a reason to adjust the status quo. 

As for my business, I have constraints put on losses I am permitted to make. Some of them are generated by creditors, some by government but most are self regulatory.

Don't agree there needs any such mechanism apart from the usual insolvency rules. I really don't understand your last paragraph.Yours must have been unike any other type of business I have come across in GB.

2 hours ago, Ash76 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=4775842bba8fad7b

A499DECD-0C7F-4DE0-9019-9435E2D7D400.jpeg

So that means I can tell others how to run their’s 

:duntmatter:

Or drawing on years of experience of talking to successful business people you gain an insight on what works and what doesn't 

2 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Or drawing on years of experience of talking to successful business people you gain an insight on what works and what doesn't 

Back in the day I did the opposite - dealing with lots of unsuccessful business people in insolvency work!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, pioowl said:

Don't agree there needs any such mechanism apart from the usual insolvency rules. I really don't understand your last paragraph.Yours must have been unike any other type of business I have come across in GB.

Interesting, so you feel that the situation which existed pre- P & S with several clubs going into administration was acceptable? I used to hate it and was a strong advocate of some kind of regulatory control. I am also sure that HMRC have leaned heavily on the football authorities to impose sanctions as a preventative measure. On the other point, I do not need P & S to regulate my activities. I self regulate my losses and adjust accordingly. You say that Dejphon Chansiri is making good the losses by personal financial injection. That is fine but what happens if he, for whatever reason, cannot do so having racked up substantial losses? That is supposed to be the safeguard that P & S provides.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, marshy said:

I'd love to see a business structure set up. D.O.F CEO, people who know football inside out. Experience throughout the club in all departments. Above all, guidance for the owner rather than having to wait for him to sign off on the bog rolls. It just seems right now that its Chansiri who runs the lot lock stock etc.

We can only dream of such an organised structure currently 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, marshy said:

I'd love to see a business structure set up. D.O.F CEO, people who know football inside out. Experience throughout the club in all departments. Above all, guidance for the owner rather than having to wait for him to sign off on the bog rolls. It just seems right now that its Chansiri who runs the lot lock stock etc.

I honestly think he brought Bruce in to be an old school manager who did everything on the football side, right from the backroom staff, academy, scouting, sports science.

Now I don't think Chansiri has any sort of plan.

Hoping for more of one after the probably points deduction and all the issues with FFP and EFL have been sorted

16 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Interesting, so you feel that the situation which existed pre- P & S with several clubs going into administration was acceptable? I used to hate it and was a strong advocate of some kind of regulatory control. I am also sure that HMRC have leaned heavily on the football authorities to impose sanctions as a preventative measure. On the other point, I do not need P & S to regulate my activities. I self regulate my losses and adjust accordingly. You say that Dejphon Chansiri is making good the losses by personal financial injection. That is fine but what happens if he, for whatever reason, cannot do so having racked up substantial losses? That is supposed to be the safeguard that P & S provides.

Well Paul Warne suggested it would be better and fairer for directors/shareholders/owners to personally guarantee to cover any losses and I agree.

8 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

OP literally said this was a no-go, that she was 99% sure the info was flase, and we're still going.

Correction, she said the name in talks was wrong but that we are in talks with someone.  Unless I’ve missed something since then 

3 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

I have never come across any other business that operate with wages costs amounting to 130%+ of the total annual turnover. I have never come across any other businesses that are willing to give employees carte blanche on what they earn. I am led to believe that our club made losses equivalent to the full three years' permitted losses in one year alone. I think that FFP or P & S is far from perfect. Adjustments are necessary but there needs to be some mechanism for reining in the excessive spending that occurs in football. Regardless of what you say, there are clubs that do operate within the constraints of P & S. Some can also do so and maintain competitive league positions or even promotion. I would rather not use it as an excuse. I would rather use it as a reason to adjust the status quo. 

As for my business, I have constraints put on losses I am permitted to make. Some of them are generated by creditors, some by government but most are self regulatory.

You raise a valid and important point.

I note that there was a discussion on Sky last week about the "plight" of Manchester City and the general thought there is that they would win any appeal against FIFA/UEFA and get their two year ban rescinded or reduced on appeal.

Not sure about that outcome but a better and fairer method to impose financial fair play that was discussed in the programme was be to hold directors responsible for losses and make clubs pay bonds.

This might have also prevented a Bury situation let alone the growing number of clubs finding ways (unsuccessfully, so it seems) to circumvent P&S/FFP.

Taking this a stage further, If the bond was equivalent to that loss, the club could remain solvent and owners might be more careful in how they run the club, for instance, offsetting the cost of purchase against the share value of the club or lumping debt of other companies on the club (as happened at Manchester United with the Glaziers).

For example, if you make a £10m loss for the year, you must place a £10m bond with the EFL which is returned once the club gets back into profit. Not sure how easy this would be to police but it does allow for owners who want to invest in their own club to do so whilst protecting the integrity of the club accounts and financial fair play.

If, after a few seasons of doing this, the owner has had enough and decides to walk, the accrued bonds would match any losses made over that period and make a sale much easier if the return of the bonds are offset against the losses on condition that the sale is agreed. The selling owner might take a bath financially but the football club itself is basically still in a break even position.