Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

36 minutes ago, Johnny Concrete said:

Unfortunately Guru if that means they come with a high offer for Big Dom, then we should be taking it. Let's not make past mistakes and reject offers when our players are in high demand to see them walk away for peanuts/free in the future

We'd be foolish not to accept a big offer that's favourable to us for any of our players. We bemoaned not selling and reinvesting wisely in the past. To make the same mistakes would be reckless in our situation and the current climate. Hopefully we've learned the harsh lessons of the recent past or else we'll never make progress. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

We'd be foolish not to accept a big offer that's favourable to us for any of our players. We bemoaned not selling and reinvesting wisely in the past. To make the same mistakes would be reckless in our situation and the current climate. Hopefully we've learned the harsh lessons of the recent past or else we'll never make progress. 

Yes there was a lot of “bemoaning” but when you think about it, things weren’t as clear cut as some suggest Those offers came in for our better players, during, or after, 2 play off campaigns In DC’s eyes, especially given his stated ambition of an immediate challenge for promotion, why would he not think, third time lucky. Undoubtably we have missed a few opportunities to cash in on a few players since, but it’s not the issue some make it out to be. Of more concern, was unnecessary investment in too many older players, something that hasn’t exactly gone away now

26 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes there was a lot of “bemoaning” but when you think about it, things weren’t as clear cut as some suggest Those offers came in for our better players, during, or after, 2 play off campaigns In DC’s eyes, especially given his stated ambition of an immediate challenge for promotion, why would he not think, third time lucky. Undoubtably we have missed a few opportunities to cash in on a few players since, but it’s not the issue some make it out to be. Of more concern, was unnecessary investment in too many older players, something that hasn’t exactly gone away now

I don't agree. As I think recently our recruitment as been smarter than when we were able to spend more. Signings like Iorfa and Luongo were astute and more recently the likes of FDB, Brown and Windass.

The likes of Iorfa are key players for us now but all players are replaceable. Selling players whilst they're still in demand and reinvesting in players with resale value and loaning in extra quality, is the smartest way to operate at this level, and the only way we'll really progress on and off the pitch.

Even the top clubs at this level and clubs with parachute payments have to sell to reinvest. Our recruitment as at least looked smarter in the last few windows. 

Edited by The Night-Owl

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

How many English players have we signed and not made the grade?

Does anyone know anything about him seems a tad expensive?

There are loads.

This is the risk and to be honest I'm up for it.

Many players North of the border make the grade, just seems the ones we buy don't!! lol 

Hopefully if he is quick and can finish he has something different. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tea Baggins said:

There are loads.

This is the risk and to be honest I'm up for it.

Many players North of the border make the grade, just seems the ones we buy don't!! lol 

Hopefully if he is quick and can finish he has something different. 

Can only agree, I'm all for holding out till we get the right player in for the job but time is marching on and we are nowhere close to finding him by the looks of it. 

We should bung Palmer up front, he's Scottish.  

2 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Like Fletcher you mean?

Fletcher when fit was a good player in this division

We hardly ever saw a fit Fletcher

How many games has he played for his new club

So yeah, like Fletcher I mean

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I still wouldn’t take it mate Sure, I know what you are saying about previous mistakes, but every situation is different If we’ve resigned ourselves to relegation, and we are building a squad for that league, then maybe take it. However, if we have any sort of notion of staying in this league, we must keep him

Believe me mate I certainly wouldn't want to see Dom leave, he's one of the first names id have on the team sheet, and players like him I.E big centre half with pace are hard to find.

But if we need to sell to reinvest, and Watford give us a serious offer, it would be madness not to sell, we need atleast 4/5 more players adding in my opinion and unfortunately in our position sacrificing a higher valued asset to help finance this may be the only option. 

Also, it only takes for Doms head to get turned, his agent will certainly be in his ear over potential moves and then do we really wanna go through the whole situation, like Forestieri, of having a player on the books who clearly doesn't want to be at the club, this despite us giving him a payrise even after his tantrum before that Norwich game.

3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

At least when a striker is tall and good in the air they have the chance to do something. With May he had some good, clever moments but lacked that bit of power and speed needed. So the direct comparisons with Paterson and Stewart arent right. 

In a way that's why Zohore is a bit worrying. By all accounts he's useless in the air for a big lad. He won't contribute anywhere near the level of a Fletcher in terms of build up play.

No real point because it's done and dusted but Fletcher in this seasons side would have been grest to see. I think with an Izzy Brown behind him and some more willing runners he'd have been just as beasty as last season. Funny if we end up spending a big chunk of wages on the likes of a Zohore it will be a downgrade of Fletch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

McGinn did ok at Villa. I agree,however, that the Scottish Prem could be more akin to L1 standard on the whole.

Re L1, In my opinion we haven't really made the most of scouting this market either, whilst several clubs have done well picking up L1 or even L2 players.

I might be mixing him up, but didn't he come from hibernian, who at the time were at least competing with the big 2 around 3rd place. 

I agree there will be some gems kicking about up there as there is down here. 

It's just getting our scouring network earning their coin and finding them. 

I'm not sure how old you are, but I still remember watching Simon donnelly wandering around looking confused and making Nuhiu look clinical. Well thats when he wasn't injured.