Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

21 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

i don’t know where the poster has seen it but I saw an article on line saying that us, Rotherham, Fleetwood and Shrewsbury   where keeping tabs on him. Article was dated 8th September though. 

Remember the last lad tearing up the very poor Scottish leagues up we were in competition with Rotherham for?? 

Dosent mean he's going to be any good in the championship, probably as much of a gamble as signing someone from leagues 1/2. 

Stevie May anyone?? lol

3 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Like Fletcher you mean?

Fletcher was proven at this level and scored goals in the Premier. 

The last time we made any decent signings from Scotland Was when we were in league 1 jp mcgovern & maclean

. Apart from celtic and rangers the rest of the teams standard Is quite poor. A lot of league 1/2 players from Down here go up there and so we'll. 

Just now, shezzas left peg said:

Remember the last lad tearing up the very poor Scottish leagues up we were in competition with Rotherham for?? 

Dosent mean he's going to be any good in the championship, probably as much of a gamble as signing someone from leagues 1/2. 

Stevie May anyone?? lol

Gets me how some on here say we must be more smart with our signings and look for potential up-and-coming prospects and then are totally unreceptive when a guy such as Ross Stewart is linked. If Brentford had been linked with him ,no doubt many would see him as a 'must have' signing no doubt.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

I very much doubt whether this will be the case this year. If anything clubs will be more pleased to get players sold or on loan if they are not in their plans as with Zohore.  Similarly, I am pleased that DC is taking a harder line re wages. IMO we ought to be looking elsewhere as 25k a week is an exceptional offer in these troubled times.

I had to laugh we are still in for a player on £50k a week and are looking at maybe paying £25k a week for a guy that scored 5 goals last season. How is this taking a harder line on wages, this is being bent over and taken advantage of. Move on to other target we can get a lot better for £25k a week.

3 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Gets me how some on here say we must be more smart with our signings and look for potential up-and-coming prospects and then are totally unreceptive when a guy such as Ross Stewart is linked. If Brentford had been linked with him ,no doubt many would see him as a 'must have' signing no doubt.

I'm just looking back at successful players that have come to us from Scotland bud. Very few seem to kick on and fall by the wayside. Im just saying it's the same gamble as signing one from our lower leagues. 

It's just a fact that once you take the big two out the standard of the other teams is poor. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

Just now, room0035 said:

I had to laugh we are still in for a player on £50k a week and are looking at maybe paying £25k a week for a guy that scored 5 goals last season. How is this taking a harder line on wages, this is being bent over and taken advantage of. Move on to other target we can get a lot better for £25k a week.

I tend to agree, which is why I said we should be looking elsewhere ( which you conveniently omitted to say). However in the past DC may well have coughed up more which is why I said he is doing better in this respect.

Just now, shezzas left peg said:

I'm just looking back at successful players that have come to us from Scotland bud. Very few seem to kick on and fall by the wayside. Im just saying it's the same gamble as signing one from our lower leagues. 

It's just a fact that once you take the big two out the standard of the other teams is poor. 

McGinn did ok at Villa. I agree,however, that the Scottish Prem could be more akin to L1 standard on the whole.

Re L1, In my opinion we haven't really made the most of scouting this market either, whilst several clubs have done well picking up L1 or even L2 players.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Freeing up a place at Watford for a new centre back🙁

Unfortunately Guru if that means they come with a high offer for Big Dom, then we should be taking it. Let's not make past mistakes and reject offers when our players are in high demand to see them walk away for peanuts/free in the future

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

i don’t know where the poster has seen it but I saw an article on line saying that us, Rotherham, Fleetwood and Shrewsbury   where keeping tabs on him. Article was dated 8th September though. 

41 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Just read that they want a million for him. He’s worth nowhere near that kind of valuation and to be honest it’s doubtful that he’s going to be good enough for where we want to be. Would be a huge gamble 

15 minutes ago, room0035 said:

This was my point earlier in the thread, not so much the wages issue, but we have to look at his attributes, not just his goals tally. Two examples, well three if you include Winnall, Jordan Rhodes and Stevie May, both had impressive goals records, but just a cursory glance would have been enough for you to put the money back in your pocket. Strikers need a more diverse range of skills these days

6 minutes ago, Johnny Concrete said:

Unfortunately Guru if that means they come with a high offer for Big Dom, then we should be taking it. Let's not make past mistakes and reject offers when our players are in high demand to see them walk away for peanuts/free in the future

I still wouldn’t take it mate Sure, I know what you are saying about previous mistakes, but every situation is different If we’ve resigned ourselves to relegation, and we are building a squad for that league, then maybe take it. However, if we have any sort of notion of staying in this league, we must keep him

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Stevie May anyone?? lol

There have been plenty of examples of players that have been average at best in the SPFL but have torn it up in England too. Our porcine neighbours are a prime example with Fleck.

The SPFL isn’t a great standard that’s true, but the same can be said for the vast majority of the Championship too.

Scott Fraser a young Scottish winger has just signed on a free with MK Dons, last season at burton he was one of the top goal scorers in the league as well as assist.

30 league appearances, 5 goals and 11 assists, averaging 77 minutes a game which suggest he started most games taking out the two sub appearance he make when coming back from a knock in January.

I mention this guy at the start of the close season as an example of the good lower league free agents that are out there. Now we can see how well he does at MK Dons. We spend that long focusing on players that are either overprice or outside of our price range, we miss out on good free agents that can be developed into future assets.

https://www.mkdons.com/news/2020/september/scott-fraser-is-a-don/ 

51 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

D-I-Canio, excellent

Chris Woods, not so

😂