Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

13 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

No real point because it's done and dusted but Fletcher in this seasons side would have been grest to see. I think with an Izzy Brown behind him and some more willing runners he'd have been just as beasty as last season. Funny if we end up spending a big chunk of wages on the likes of a Zohore it will be a downgrade of Fletch. 

The problem with the  team continues to be the same as last year (bar murphy of course) the two lads playing on the wings cannot cross the ball, we could have Kane and Aguero upfront but with the service from Harris, Palmer, Odabajo they will get the same level of nothing

If we are to persist with this 3-5-2 formation at least have a left footer on the left and a right footer on the right and bloody tell them, they are there to cross the ball into the striker not cut in field and shoot, because every time Harris and Odabajo miss the target. the only time they should be shooting is they are on the end of the other wingers cross.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

There have been plenty of examples of players that have been average at best in the SPFL but have torn it up in England too. Our porcine neighbours are a prime example with Fleck.

The SPFL isn’t a great standard that’s true, but the same can be said for the vast majority of the Championship too.

I remember the really good national side of the 80's and early 90's. Almost every top team had a couple of really quality Scottish players in, from Hanson to strachen that started off up there. 

It's a bit of a sad indication and reflects how far off they both are at international level and with producing home grown quality recently. They became a bit like big Jack's Ireland side full of englishmrnt with a Scottish relative. 

As they always say football goes in cycles, so maybe there will be some quality starting to cone through, it's just catching it before others do. 

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Yes there was a lot of “bemoaning” but when you think about it, things weren’t as clear cut as some suggest Those offers came in for our better players, during, or after, 2 play off campaigns In DC’s eyes, especially given his stated ambition of an immediate challenge for promotion, why would he not think, third time lucky. Undoubtably we have missed a few opportunities to cash in on a few players since, but it’s not the issue some make it out to be. Of more concern, was unnecessary investment in too many older players, something that hasn’t exactly gone away now

DC would think third time lucky, however DC as he even stated himself when he arrived knows nothing about football.

For all the mistakes we have made with recruitment, contracts, ticket prices etc etc his biggest mistake is not having someone who actually knows what they’re doing and is respected to run the club on his behalf. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

I might be mixing him up, but didn't he come from hibernian, who at the time were at least competing with the big 2 around 3rd place. 

I agree there will be some gems kicking about up there as there is down here. 

It's just getting our scouring network earning their coin and finding them. 

I'm not sure how old you are, but I still remember watching Simon donnelly wandering around looking confused and making Nuhiu look clinical. Well thats when he wasn't injured. 

If we're going back into history, Jim McCalliog and Tommy Craig did quite well for us.

27 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

In a way that's why Zohore is a bit worrying. By all accounts he's useless in the air for a big lad. He won't contribute anywhere near the level of a Fletcher in terms of build up play.

Yeah I think he’s more similar to Windass in terms of preferring to run at defences but stronger so adds something different. But that could be the thinking with Paterson, who would do the graft for the others.

Its worked in the past, I remember Richard Keogh was great at making other strikers life easier through his hard work. 

If Monk wants to continue pressing high up the pitch then it has to start with the strikers or it doesn’t work.

Daft as it seems any new striker has to be mobile enough to do this. 
I think this is why Rhodes was left out Sunday, Kachunga is more mobile.

It would also help if any new striker scored a few goals.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

If we're going back into history, Jim McCalliog and Tommy Craig did quite well for us.

This is my point it's been so long since they produced any really good home grown players, that have come down here and played for top clubs it's hard to think of many. Robertson is probably the most high profile one. 

1 minute ago, shezzas left peg said:

This is my point it's been so long since they produced any really good home grown players, that have come down here and played for top clubs it's hard to think of many. Robertson is probably the most high profile one. 

I mean we have banana, Palmer and Rhodes and non of them came from Scottish football. 

53 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

How many English players have we signed and not made the grade?

Does anyone know anything about him seems a tad expensive?

You might like to add Dutch and Portuguese players, with the exception of Joao, to that list. As for Switzerland, Abdi possibly the worst of all time.

Just now, Beauchief Owl said:

You might like to add Dutch and Portuguese players, with the exception of Joao, to that list. As for Switzerland, Abdi possibly the worst of all time.

So surprisingly every country throw up its failures and successes, basically look for a player who delivers the goods then worry about his nationality. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Yeah I think he’s more similar to Windass in terms of preferring to run at defences but stronger so adds something different. But that could be the thinking with Paterson, who would do the graft for the others.

Its worked in the past, I remember Richard Keogh was great at making other strikers life easier through his hard work. 

Is that the big, ugly, slow, ex Derby centre back now at MK Dons. I don’t fancy him up front to be honest.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

So surprisingly every country throw up its failures and successes, basically look for a player who delivers the goods then worry about his nationality. 

Maybe we need to start looking in Sweden. We had 2 decent players from there in Nilson and Alexandersson.

18 minutes ago, Dizzys Dad said:

Is that the big, ugly, slow, ex Derby centre back now at MK Dons. I don’t fancy him up front to be honest.

No I think I got the wrong name. Andy Keogh he was called. Hardly ever scored unless he played us. But his strike partners usually fed off him. I think that is what we will want from Paterson

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

The problem with the  team continues to be the same as last year (bar murphy of course) the two lads playing on the wings cannot cross the ball, we could have Kane and Aguero upfront but with the service from Harris, Palmer, Odabajo they will get the same level of nothing

If we are to persist with this 3-5-2 formation at least have a left footer on the left and a right footer on the right and bloody tell them, they are there to cross the ball into the striker not cut in field and shoot, because every time Harris and Odabajo miss the target. the only time they should be shooting is they are on the end of the other wingers cross.

Makes you wonder why GM pursues 3-5-2, what with the resources at his disposal, poor returns on trying it and the half-baked job of obtaining suitable playing staff. Almost like he has set out again to get himself sacked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

If Monk wants to continue pressing high up the pitch then it has to start with the strikers or it doesn’t work.

Daft as it seems any new striker has to be mobile enough to do this. 
I think this is why Rhodes was left out Sunday, Kachunga is more mobile.

It would also help if any new striker scored a few goals.

would also help to buy a striker, not pretend ones