Ross Wallace

As good as Wallace was at his best, I think we miss his wind up merchant tactics as much as anything else.

Someone to get in the faces of the opposition, earn some cheap free kicks, pat the referee on his back one minute, then give him a gobfull the next.

This team is far too nice

He gave the team a balance and was one of those players who knew what he was going to do long before he got the ball. We don't have any of those now. 

He was good, but not so good that we should fail to replace him in 2 years

Maybe we're still hoping to find out what Adam Reach is supposed to be. 

St Mirren have signed former Celtic and Sheffield Wednesday winger Ross Wallace until the end of the season.

The 34-year-old, capped once by Scotland, arrives in Paisley as a free agent after leaving Fleetwood Town at the start of September.

He made four appearances as a substitute in August for the English League One side.

"Just having someone with his experience around is great," manager Jim Goodwin told the St Mirren website.

"He can play in midfield and at left-back. People will be used to him playing in more advanced areas but he actually played a lot with Fleetwood Town last year in the middle of the pitch. He's a very calming influence in there, keeps things nice and simple and reads the game well.

"He's still got bags of quality as well."

Wallace, who also played for Sunderland, Preston North End and Burnley, spent time training with St Mirren in November.

"That was purely for training, it wasn't a trial period," Goodwin explained. "At that moment in time we didn't need anybody but then obviously losing Kyle Magennis and Ryan Flynn, along with Ross still being available, convinced us to get him in. It's vital that we have enough to get us through the season.

"Fitness-wise he isn't going to be where we want him to be at the moment but we will work with him over the next few weeks."

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

On 08/02/2020 at 12:15, Bing Cosby said:

As good as Wallace was at his best, I think we miss his wind up merchant tactics as much as anything else.

Someone to get in the faces of the opposition, earn some cheap free kicks, pat the referee on his back one minute, then give him a gobfull the next.

This team is far too nice

Amen to that. Chris Maguire was the only other recent exponent of that part of the game.

Guest addedtime
13 hours ago, DEH9 said:

Wallace, who also played for Sunderland, Preston North End and Burnley, spent time training with St Mirren in November.

And.......Sheffield Wednesday???

On 08/02/2020 at 11:07, RUMBELOWS91 said:

YouTube has done that thing where it starts upsetting me showing videos of when we were good.

I think we miss this fella perhaps more than anyone else. 

He was quality for 2 seasons.

Yep and underestimated by many. 

44 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

I miss that first season football under Carlos ....

After that its been turgid :duntmatter:

I miss staying in a 5 star hotel in dubai sipping champagne running up a massive credit card and borrowing and spending out of my depth , that is in effect what carlos did here  and like fools what take out stupid loans and live a life which is totally beyond them. people wake up he caused this mess with chansiri . 

Reach was his next in line when we signed him.

On paper a better, younger, more athletic version

The difference being  - Wallace had the guts for a fight, the will to win and would make sure he did as much as he could to do so.

Reach doesnt have these qualities 

15 minutes ago, torres said:

Reach was his next in line when we signed him.

On paper a better, younger, more athletic version

The difference being  - Wallace had the guts for a fight, the will to win and would make sure he did as much as he could to do so.

Reach doesnt have these qualities 

As much as I liked Wallace he did go missing during the game if things wasn't going his way.  

But like Hooper, Joao and Matais they have either not been replaced or been replaced by better players.